• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anybody recognize these speakers?

slick.one

Active Member
Does anybody recognize theses, and ifso, any comments on performance and value?
THANKS!
 

Attachments

  • dr_043009_002.jpg
    dr_043009_002.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 217
Register to hide this ad
Look almost like older Bose 501's, except for the circle on top, though that looks like it could have been some later addition (a stick-on mat for putting a potted plant on or something, maybe).
 
Radio Shack made some similar back in the early 70s. Not sure of model name or if those are even them. Interesting-looking speakers.
 
I believe Mark is right. I had a pair and thought they were interesting, but I had a problem with their height (or lack thereof) and their very modest bass. If they are on the floor where they belong for reasons of bass reinforcement, the treble is pretty dim since its being bounced around at ankle height. Lift them up for better high end, and no bass. So I wouldn't favor them for serious listening. But they might be just the ticket for your rumpus room or casual listening while moving around.
 
I googled to try to find a photo and an auction came up. I won't (can't) put the link here, but if you search for "HK-50" I think you'll see it's very similar if not identical.

If Nat and I both say so... well, there you have it! :-)
 
Most of these types of speakers that sought an omindirectional sound field by aiming a driver upward at a conical dispersion device sound quite mediocre. They were trendy "gimmick" speakers that often did not use very good drivers and the diffraction and dispersion characteristics at various frequencies were problematic. Many collectors might go for the retro period styling more so than any sonic merit they might offer. Definitely listen before even considering a purchase!
 
They look similar to, although not identical to Radio Shack's Nova Omnipolars. I've seen a pair in nice condition go for $100 on e-bay. I own a pair and the sound is pretty wretched.
 
I really need to buy a set of wretched sounding speaks, just to remind me how good my choice of NS-690s was, 32 years ago!
 
Thansk for all your responses. You guys are the best! Maybe if they are in great shape and I can pick them up for nothing, they would make interesting furniture!
 
Back
Top Bottom