• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone doing a garden?

Man it's been a busy weekend with getting all the cages ready and cleaning out the greenhouse and so far we have 4 Marmande beefsteaks and 2 cherokee purple tomato plants in the ground and the carrots and sugar snap peas are going strong and will be planting Squash and cucumbers next week and some lima beans and other veggies and I can't wait to get that 1st Tomato and have a sandwich.
 
Man it's been a busy weekend with getting all the cages ready and cleaning out the greenhouse and so far we have 4 Marmande beefsteaks and 2 cherokee purple tomato plants in the ground and the carrots and sugar snap peas are going strong and will be planting Squash and cucumbers next week and some lima beans and other veggies and I can't wait to get that 1st Tomato and have a sandwich.

I hear ya...between these plants and my smoker and some other things that popped up I dont know what to do first. Its always nothing to do then everything at once.

I have a lot of Solo cups to get filled with transplants ASAP.....48 to be exact.

upload_2023-4-16_20-36-38.jpeg
upload_2023-4-16_20-37-0.jpeg
 
We are done with the greenhouse for the summer months and all we will do is plant seeds next week and it's time to put some screen wire on the greenhouse to help vent and got to dig out the shade cloth soon.
 
In NC the weather has been a bit warmer earlier this year, so everything is taking off. Already harvested about 40 garlic scapes, and one of my bell peppers already has two about 1.5”. Tomato plants in the rear raised bed are already 18+” and now are starting to climb the trellis. Can’t wait for a surge of peppers, planted Anaheim, bells, hot, and Mama Mia Gallo for on grill roasting. First time doing pole beans but they’re taking off as well!IMG_0477.jpeg
 
@Smitty43 ...man I could make a mean salad with that spinach.

@CT Jim ... I'm gonna have to move south. Good start you have there. I have Mama Mia Rosso peppers in the mix this year...wonder what the difference is. Last time I grew pole beans I ran 3 wires across two heavy green stakes to make like a 3 wire fence. Then I routed the vines up then out across the wires. I had so many beans it was bending the metal stakes. Neighbors loved me that year with those and a bumper carrot crop.

I'm catching up to you southern guys. Of course we had a few days in the 90's then a couple days after that we were back to freeze warnings so who knows when they will see the outside. I couldnt bear to trash the leftover plants so I kinda added to the original 48...yes....I have problems. :crazy::rflmao:

upload_2023-4-30_16-26-20.jpeg
 
I have been talking to a few people about putting a cracked egg under your new tomato plants and we just did that yesterday so we will see how it goes, Has anybody else done that and if so does it work ?

I've heard of this but haven't tried it. Also not sure it needs to be cracked. I see no downside and appears to be a nice slow release fertilizer and when eggs are cheap rather economical too.
 
But don’t break the yolk!!! :whip:
Just kidding!

This year I’m using Crab and Lobster shells for calcium help down the road.
 
I've gotten off to a late start this spring but the strawberries I started last spring and overwintered outside last winter are doing fine. The goal was fresh strawberries for breakfast and I think I've hit that. I found out these are Alpine strawberries. Not as big as the ones in the supermarket but quite tasty. Hard to see but there's lots of strawberries in there.

IMG_20230302_120003-XL.jpg
IMG_20230511_093445-XL.jpg


IMG_20230508_201619-L.jpg
20220302_124919-XL.jpg
 
@RickeyM ...I see some strawberry daq's in the works there. :beerchug:

Well the days are finally here to get my peps outside..as soon as the coco coir I need for the soil mix gets here today. None too soon either as the plants are starting to get rootbound in the solo cups. Still have some nights dropping into the low 40's but I think they will manage.

Been putting them out during the day to harden them off...but even in the full sun all day I see no problems with them. I think maybe its because the grow lights have UV lights in them as well as hitting them with a strong breeze from the fan.

This was a few days ago when I did a heavy pruning of the larger lower leaves. They have a lot of growth started in the corners of the leaves so I want to encourage that growth to branch out. It was a little painful as about half of the leaves are gone for now.
upload_2023-5-13_11-24-48.jpeg

And today as they wait for a new dirt home outside for good...
upload_2023-5-13_11-27-9.jpeg
upload_2023-5-13_11-27-26.jpeg

Now to get about 40 cubic feet of dirt made up. I have 3 55 gallon drums of soil from last year and enough stuff to double that waiting. I'll get the 20'x30' tarp out and mix it with that...like a rolling wave mixer.
 
My wife does the gardening, but my job for later today is to set up the rabbit fence around the garden! Not one of my favorite outdoor activities, haha!

Hate those bastards...I just got done filling a hole one dug in my back yard last night for its nursery. Sprayed it good with hot pepper spray too...seemed to work on the one they did in my front yard about a week ago.

I'll have to get the chicken wire around my peps when I get them outside. Not like I dont have dozens of cats and this running around at night....

upload_2023-5-13_13-54-3.jpeg
 
I went out this morning to harvest some strawberries and noticed some plants getting bigger in the flowerbed where my marigolds grew last year. I'd assumed just some random plants or weeds were there. I took a closer look today and yup, tomatoes. I haven't prepped the spot yet save for dumping some unfinished compost there but there they were, tomato plants. Seven or eight of them, strong and healthy. That must be it, the compost! Here I am struggling to get some tomato seedlings started indoors and out in the patch, unattended are tomatoes growing. Ma' Nature's backup plan I guess. It looks like I'll be prepping my tomato pots sooner than I planned to receive the transplants.

IMG_20230517_110055-XL.jpg
IMG_20230517_150351-XL.jpg
 
A bit less than another cup of strawberries this AM. Now to investigate what to do with all these little tasty beauties.

IMG_20230518_083217-XL.jpg


Then they get washed and dried.

IMG_20230518_083459-XL.jpg
 
My strawberries don't get going until around 6-7. Cannot wait. King of Fruit. I've dialed my patch down quite a bit this past year as they were getting either old or spreading where I don't want them. Should buy some new plants to get some fresh blood in there.
 
Out of that whole kit I only had seven seeds sprout and six survive. I should have potted them up sooner last year. Someone said they wouldn't survive the winter in pots outside. At one point they even froze but they survived. Then with the mild early spring weather they really kicked in. I did dose them with bloom booster fertilizer so maybe that helped? I'm going to put each plant in it's own pot then figure out what I'll do with all the berries :D
 
Back
Top Bottom