• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone doing a garden?

:eek: That's a lotta peppers.

Yeah..18 types and 63 plants...may have literally bit off more than I can chew. o_O But the way I reason with it in my own head :crazy: is that I'm still in testing mode since last year was a total failure due to weather and an incompetent seed company sending me the wrong seeds.

Once I find the right poblano and anaheim...and the best peppers for smoked paprika I'll be set. Then I have some that hopefully are the type I can just go out and pull them off the plant and eat them for a snack. Be like my younger days of plopping my butt down in the garden with my tiny lunchbox salt shaker and grabbing maters and bell peppers or whatever was growing. :banana:

I had planned on 50 pots so I didnt have to double up the plants per pot...but after mixing all the new material I bought along with last years soil all I had enough for was 37 pots full. Sumbuddy :oops: miscalculated somewhere...but I have sunk so much money into this so far I couldnt keep buying more stuff. I did get 30 of the 7 gallon pots too instead of the 5 gallon. Either way..my backbone was DONE!

This is what I had for the mix. On the tarp is the 2 11lb bricks of coco coir hydrated and buffered...last years soil in the 4 blue barrels...a tote bin and buckets of new compost...and the amendments.

upload_2023-5-22_14-11-32.jpeg
 
I laid in 5 wheelbarrows of compost in my big beds and put in 25 tomato plants, early girls, champions and a dozen romas for sauce. I only had room for 5 Anaheims but we just eat them anyway. The butter crunch lettuce is going gangbusters and our garlic looks top notch this time. We are trying Wallawalla sweets and hope they turn out better than our last attempts at onions. I got a couple of raised beds on legs for my wife- she's tired of bending over and kneeling. 22" high and 2x4 each for all the stuff the rabbits love!
 
Yeah..18 types and 63 plants...may have literally bit off more than I can chew. o_O But the way I reason with it in my own head :crazy: is that I'm still in testing mode since last year was a total failure due to weather and an incompetent seed company sending me the wrong seeds.

Once I find the right poblano and anaheim...and the best peppers for smoked paprika I'll be set. Then I have some that hopefully are the type I can just go out and pull them off the plant and eat them for a snack. Be like my younger days of plopping my butt down in the garden with my tiny lunchbox salt shaker and grabbing maters and bell peppers or whatever was growing. :banana:

I had planned on 50 pots so I didnt have to double up the plants per pot...but after mixing all the new material I bought along with last years soil all I had enough for was 37 pots full. Sumbuddy :oops: miscalculated somewhere...but I have sunk so much money into this so far I couldnt keep buying more stuff. I did get 30 of the 7 gallon pots too instead of the 5 gallon. Either way..my backbone was DONE!

This is what I had for the mix. On the tarp is the 2 11lb bricks of coco coir hydrated and buffered...last years soil in the 4 blue barrels...a tote bin and buckets of new compost...and the amendments.

View attachment 2892753
You sir are outstanding...

bf34f9ff6505b277ea623e9c1bd2803e.jpeg
 
Well Gents, The sugar snap peas are ready to be pulled up and I must say that we have enjoyed them this year what is so funny is when the neighbors walk by and we say have a sugar snap pea fresh from the garden they can eat and stay and it's like how did you grow this and nothing like just picking a fresh veggie from the garden and eating it raw, Kinda like when you were a child and your mother said stay out of the garden you can't eat anymore man I can't wait till the other veggies start to come in.
 
Plants have been at a standstill lately with temps still dropping into the low 40's at night...but starting to warm up now. Plus they are busy growing roots after transplanting more than growing vegetation. The cold also has them thinking its fall too as I'm having to pull flowers off them daily.

EDIT: Deleted duplicate pics..yeah way too much going on now. :oops:
 
Last edited:
Just 4 Pepper Plants for us this year, 2 Melrose, 1 Hot Banana, and 1 Cayenne.

Melrose look good...have you had them before? Taste?

One of the reasons for the several Italian and Spanish peppers this year for me is to find a good munching pepper like a Bell but not that flavor.
 
The smaller plot planted. Potatoes, onions, carrots and turnips. Now have to wait two months until potatoes are large enough to dig up.

plot1.jpg
 
tomatoes and a greenhouse,.... pollination.

help, please and thanks.

my place in this,....
I'm trying to help my wife grow a few tomatoes. She loves them; I'm not such a fan, and know very little about growing them.
Her last couple of tries resulted in invasions by Bluejays (birds), and, small destructive caterpillars from moths.
My neighbor just gave her a few more tomato starts, and shes getting inspired to try again.

My thoughts are to try to get her into a small, simple, hoop-house wrapped in hardware cloth (chicken wire rolls) to keep the birds and rodents at bay. But, in order to naturally pollinate, I'd need to keep the cloth mesh more open, which would allow for caterpillars again.

Has anyone done any hand pollinating, with such an idea that I can have her use a tighter mesh that keeps out the insects?
 
Last edited:
All you need is a battery powered toothbrush. You can even buy one at the Dollar Tree. When you see the yellow flowers on the plants just give them a buzz with the toothbrush. I do mine when I'm giving them the once-over in the mornings. I do it a few days in a row to make sure they get pollinated. I get a very high ratio of flowers budding into fruits that way.
 
My pepper plants are producing very well! The pics are of Mama Mia Giallo and Highlander Anaheim peppers.
Patty Pan squash are doing ok, but the rain has set them back. And once again Zucchini is just screwing me over by holding back. There is still plenty of time for them to turn! And the Garlic harvest is getting close!!!
20230602_093929_1280x960.jpg 20230602_093919_960x1280.jpg
 
My pepper plants are producing very well! The pics are of Mama Mia Giallo and Highlander Anaheim peppers.
Patty Pan squash are doing ok, but the rain has set them back. And once again Zucchini is just screwing me over by holding back. There is still plenty of time for them to turn! And the Garlic harvest is getting close!!!
View attachment 2901221 View attachment 2901222

Looking good. How tall are your plants to have that many fruits? I'm growing Highlanders also. My peppers are only about a foot tall but they are wanting to flower like crazy already. I'm still picking the flowers off so they dont put energy into that instead of vegetative growth.
 
Highlanders are actually around 15" tall...but mature plants are supposed to be 24" to 36" tall. Covered with shadecloth at the moment as its 95F now.

upload_2023-6-2_18-15-4.jpeg
 
I can't find my plant log just now, but it's in the garage somewhere. My guess is I started the Highlander seeds around Feb 15, after 3+ weeks I pinched them back, and waited for some growth.
I planted two of the Anaheim in a 10 gal fabric pot. They are now 34" h and working together nicely!
I also picked off the early buds; and carefully mixed my diff potting soils together to use as the planting medium.
I lean toward Daddy Pete's Potting soils, and Coast of Maine Bagged mixes! My back raised bed with the tomatoes, cantaloupe and carrots, prepped in early spring with 8 5gal pails of Alpaca compost, otherwise called dried crap but some was pretty fresh, is turning into a jungle. The tomatoes are climbing the hog wire trellis and have reached 6' high.
Selectively pruning, plenty of tomatoes on the vine, but too early to turn color yet!
 
I can't find my plant log just now, but it's in the garage somewhere. My guess is I started the Highlander seeds around Feb 15, after 3+ weeks I pinched them back, and waited for some growth.
I planted two of the Anaheim in a 10 gal fabric pot. They are now 34" h and working together nicely!
I also picked off the early buds; and carefully mixed my diff potting soils together to use as the planting medium.
I lean toward Daddy Pete's Potting soils, and Coast of Maine Bagged mixes! My back raised bed with the tomatoes, cantaloupe and carrots, prepped in early spring with 8 5gal pails of Alpaca compost, otherwise called dried crap but some was pretty fresh, is turning into a jungle. The tomatoes are climbing the hog wire trellis and have reached 6' high.
Selectively pruning, plenty of tomatoes on the vine, but too early to turn color yet!

Ah OK...you have a good head start on me. Mine just germinated around 4/4 and have only been outside two weeks now. Looking forward to seeing how they taste and the heat levels of the two.
 
IMG_0485.jpeg IMG_0484.jpeg First cut for peppers and eggs, only 2 per plant but they have sized up very nicely. And a couple red onions that were planted last year finally bulked up to a usable size!
 
Back
Top Bottom