• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone doing a garden?

...and the bigger plot

plot2.jpg


plot3.jpg
 
I finished planting the garden yesterday. It's a tiny plot, but productive. The way the house and trees are situated there really is no ideal spot for a big garden.
Arugula is up and thinned, Chard is just up, I put in 1 cherry tomato plant and 5 San Marzano plants. Cukes are seeded. Spinach is seeded. Marigolds around the edges.
idiot neighbors dog walking on the arugula, so I had to put a small fence around that.

Now we need some warmer weather. We've been stuck in this pattern...high 60's daytime and low 50's at night. Cool but damp.

IMG_1912.jpg IMG_1913.jpg
 
The buttercrunch lettuce is fantastic again this year, we keep giving it away because we can't keep up. The garlic is looking very good and it should be a good harvest next month maybe. No blossoms on the tomatoes yet but they are looking fine.
 
The kale I planted is really growing well. I dumped some partially done compost on the flower bed and wouldn't you know it, tomatoes. Some of the plants have sprouted blossoms. I'm going to transfer one or two into the large pots I grow tomatoes in. The mild temps cycle has really kept the pepper seedlings from taking off. The other day I was at Home Depot and they had some things 50% off of the regular $3.98 price. I picked up a couple of peppers I'll be putting in the raised bed.IMG_20230605_203809.jpg
 
The kale I planted is really growing well. I dumped some partially done compost on the flower bed and wouldn't you know it, tomatoes. Some of the plants have sprouted blossoms. I'm going to transfer one or two into the large pots I grow tomatoes in. The mild temps cycle has really kept the pepper seedlings from taking off. The other day I was at Home Depot and they had some things 50% off of the regular $3.98 price. I picked up a couple of peppers I'll be putting in the raised bed.View attachment 2906526

You got some hot ones there. Yeah this cold still has my peps flowering like crazy. I missed pulling one flower off a Boldog paprika plant so I have a little pep started. I'll let just this one go for now to see how it affects the plant compared to the others.

upload_2023-6-9_11-8-21.jpeg
 
Time for The Great Culling. Some of the tomato volunteers in my flower bed will be relocated to the pots I usually grow my tomatoes in. Only the strong will make the move. The others will go to that great compost heap in the sky AKA the compost tumbler in the yard
1f60a.png
The Butterfly Weed that was there last year has reseeded itself and I've got some other flowers to go in the space. None of my other friends are into gardening or else I'd give them the surplus tomato plants. PS some of those volunteers already have tomatoes sprouted from the flowers that blossomed.
 
Starting to get a little Pissed off as something like a rabbit or chipmunk has just eat down our cantaloupe and other things in the garden so it is time to bring out the BAD ASS in me. Don't eat from my garden if you don't work it and water it.
 
If there are critters around it pays to be proactive rather than reactive. Scale of protection according to threat.
 
Just put together a cold frame that was given to us from my wife's friends son that was moving out of state and didn't need it anymore and it is 10x30 and he used it to protect his plants from deer at his house with chicken wire on it. So it looks like we have solved the critter problem next year, This winter we can have a nice cold frame for the garden. We can make it any size we want.20230622_185529.jpg
 
You can grow a whole farm in there. I have two raised flower beds and one raised bed for veggy. At the end of the season I'm thinking of using one of the flower beds for flowers and veggies.
 
Oh yeah....I did manage to get some cumin to grow too so we'll see how that turns out. More of a test to see how it grows more than a producing crop though. I dont think it will have enough time to mature because it needs a long grow season and I started it on 6/01.
1687634769364.jpeg
 
Got the cold frame down to 10x14 and doing a test fit of the shade cloth that I have on hand so now when I'm done our plants should not burn up this summer in 2 of our raised beds. Need to order more shade cloth. 20230625_171506.jpg
 
I thinned the arugula and chard. Wife needs to take the removed plants to work...they should still be viable.
Tomatoes doing ok, but really slow.
Something's been eating the cuke seedlings. Sevin didn't make a difference, trying a milk crate now in case it's a critter.

IMG_2103.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom