• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone doing a garden?

Deer? Hopped in, hopped out?
That's what the evidence would suggest. Never seen a deer in the yard before, and no tracks leading to or away from. Just grateful it didn't step on any plants.
I've seen possum, rabbit, racoon, cat, dog, skunk and bobcat. None leave a print like that.

Maybe a Centaur.
 
I have similar problems, the cherry style tomatoes have slowed and the full size are coming in fast. Note the cherry tomatoes in the basket are two sizes. The ones that are twice the size of the typical size are ‘Chadwick Cherry’. I wanted cherry Tom’s in a larger size! Picking 5+ cucs from 4 plants almost every day, very happy! The two yellow tomatoes are Kellogg’s Breakfast and HIllbilly, two new ones for me, good size. And the peppers, Mama Giallo and Highlander Anaheim are super this year.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0493.jpeg
    IMG_0493.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0491.jpeg
    IMG_0491.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0492.jpeg
    IMG_0492.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 5
I began "The Great Culling" two days ago, pulling out tomato volunteers from my flower bed. Nothing against tomatoes but I've got a space for them NOT in the flower bed(s). The biggest volunteer will go into one large pot and the other two pots will take the other two varieties. A few of the volunteers are flowering and producing fruits. I picked a few including one that started to blush.

My clover patch was initially planted with Dutch White clover. That was before I knew how big it gets. Leggy is an understatement. That stuff with all the Spring rain grew 10-12 inches tall. So tall it choked itself out so I raked it out and reseeded with micro clover. I like clover. It sprouts and starts growing in three days. All you've got to do is keep the ground moist until it's established.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20230709_095412.jpg
    IMG_20230709_095412.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230711_081232.jpg
    IMG_20230711_081232.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230712_142427.jpg
    IMG_20230712_142427.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 3
That's what the evidence would suggest. Never seen a deer in the yard before, and no tracks leading to or away from. Just grateful it didn't step on any plants.
I've seen possum, rabbit, racoon, cat, dog, skunk and bobcat. None leave a print like that.

Maybe a Centaur.

I've seen that happen before. When they hop around their rear feet will land in the fronts footprints.

Here's my first pepper harvest. Got about 10lbs. The Charger peps are growing very large. The parchment paper they're on is 12"x12" for size reference. The Marconi's I cut because they got sun-scalded black. So basically peps for my next batch of chili.
1689687914514.jpeg

Also...local farm's first sweet corn of the season Sunday roasted and bagged for the freezer. Their Sweetness corn is always the best of the year...but I'll still grab some Honey Select and Serendipity later in the year as they are fantastic as well.
1689687942194.jpeg
 
Currently we're under water restriction here but lucky for me my rain barrels still have about 1/3 capacity left.
I took this pic of my clover patch yesterday. The biggest volunteer tomato plant and the two other varieties I started from seed (after many failures) went temporarily into 5 gal. grow bags. Two of my large pots still have the skeletons of last years plants in them and need to be cleaned and the soil prepped to use again. I'd also like to paint those pots since their strawberry red color has faded. I've got an orange Bell pepper, a Cayenne, a jalapeno and an unknown pepper (possibly a chili or another Bell pepper) going in the raised bed along with a whole bunch of kale.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20230717_120153.jpg
    IMG_20230717_120153.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230718_095106.jpg
    IMG_20230718_095106.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 2
I really want to start gardening and I usually have a indoor plant or two but groundhogs are a horrendous issue here. So I'm not planting anything because it will just feed them.

I've removed nearly 50 groundhogs in 3 years. 22, 17, and 7 so far this year.
 
I've removed nearly 50 groundhogs in 3 years. 22, 17, and 7 so far this year.
I did the same thing. Very frustrating , they're such destructive critters. Eventually I was spending too much time transporting and relocating, and the chance is extremely high that they'll die from loss of habitat and stress anyway. Pellet rifle kept them under control for a few years. Now the neighbor has a dog and that appears to keep them away.
 
Terrible gardening year here in the Northeast. It's been torrential rain or heat. The arugula has bolted and looks terrible, the tomatoes are spindly and weak with lower leaves all yellow, cucumber plants are about 8 inches long...should be 5 feet by now. Chard is the only thing that looks remotely healthy.
Almost time to rip it all out and give up for this year. Such a shame.
 
I have neighbors and friends who see me stopping at their houses afraid to open the door! Cucumbers have taken over, daily I need to pick them, one day I pulled 12. If only th zucchini would put out!
But its a banner year for peppers! I usually pull the Anaheim and Mama Giallo long peppers and throw them n the grill. Too impatient to wait for color, but this year I’m getting both red and yellow long peppers!!
And now I’m getting ready to make hot sauce and crushed pepper……the plant has well over a hundred peppers turning red!!IMG_0500.jpegIMG_0499.jpegIMG_0498.jpegIMG_0500.jpegIMG_0499.jpeg
 
@LHorn
You're looking at ONE plant. I already cut off two branches because it was getting too full, but here is the description and where to buy for next year! It says 250-280 per plant, and I probably would have that many. I started 6 plants, gave 3 away, lost 1, and potted up one.

Actually, I would be happy doing a seed swap with others because some specialty seeds are 10 or 20 to a pak, whereas others have boatloads?


3380U3380U Buffy F1 70
Capsicum frutescens. Deep green to red. Beautiful, fiery pepper with deli-
cious aromatic undertones scored high in nationwide trials. Fruit are hot
with great flavor, very thick walls. Robust plants 18-25" tall x 25" wide bore
250-280 fruit per plant over the season. Plant is compact, sturdy, provides
good cover and tolerates hot and humid weather. Fruit are 1.5" long and
0.6" across. Fresh mkt, shipping, processing.
www.Twilleyseed.com

They have quite a selection of seeds geared toward pro growers as well!
 
@LHorn
You're looking at ONE plant. I already cut off two branches because it was getting too full, but here is the description and where to buy for next year! It says 250-280 per plant, and I probably would have that many. I started 6 plants, gave 3 away, lost 1, and potted up one.

Actually, I would be happy doing a seed swap with others because some specialty seeds are 10 or 20 to a pak, whereas others have boatloads?


3380U3380U Buffy F1 70
Capsicum frutescens. Deep green to red. Beautiful, fiery pepper with deli-
cious aromatic undertones scored high in nationwide trials. Fruit are hot
with great flavor, very thick walls. Robust plants 18-25" tall x 25" wide bore
250-280 fruit per plant over the season. Plant is compact, sturdy, provides
good cover and tolerates hot and humid weather. Fruit are 1.5" long and
0.6" across. Fresh mkt, shipping, processing.
www.Twilleyseed.com

They have quite a selection of seeds geared toward pro growers as well!

I see...way too hot for me. I cant handle anything over 2000 scovilles or so. Thanks for the link...I bookmarked it for next year.

I still have roughly half the seeds from this years planting. Verdict is still out on which ones will get planted next year as this year has been a test of 18 different peppers. I do know I'll be planting the Chargers again for sure.
 
Yes it is called a live trap and haul them away to another area!
It's actually Illegal to transport, Wild Critters, Varmints, in NY.
If you do you're just giving your problem to someone else.
Mr .22 took care of my uninvited guests
 
This is what they did to my 4’ wide Broccoli
In one day
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1647.jpeg
    IMG_1647.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1652.jpeg
    IMG_1652.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1651.jpeg
    IMG_1651.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom