• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone else not a fan of the Minimus 7's?

I have 3 pair of the 7Ws. They are superb for computer duty and for rear surround duty with my Marantz NR 1608. I dont find the highs or mids harsh or grating at all. I think they are perfect for what I use them for. Expecting them to be something they are not is rather silly.

Many speakers get over-hyped on AK. A few come to mind that I have owned after reading about them on here. Dynaco A-25s were the ones I bought with the highest expectations. They are a nice speaker with great bass for their size, nothing wrong with that......but the gushing about them raised my expectations way too high. The Heresy is yet another example, thank god I found a pair to listen to before I was going to buy them. My point is that there seems to be a following for almost every speaker. The Minimus has a loyal following because they were and are an inexpensive speaker that sounds pretty decent, especially for their size. There are also tons of replacement parts since they sold more of them that pretty much any other speaker sold in the past 40 years......that makes them cheap and fun to modify without risking a lot of money.

They are what they are, no more, no less. There has not been a Min7 bashing thread in a long time so lets get it over with.

20190325_151041.jpg
 
These weren't designed for "audiophiles". They were designed so Joe Sixpack could get pretty good sound from an inexpensive, small, unobtrusive box. Not unlike the Bose philosophy.

I'd say they succeeded.

When i worked part time at the shack in the late 90's, I connected a pair to one of their passive subs and that combo sold itself.
 
Looks about the same as the crossovers I have currently installed in my 7's, except the tweeter is different. My tweets have a plastic mounting plate with plastic rings around the tweeter itself, in contrast to that flat metal-faced tweeter in the pic. I'd like to think that this is the cause of my problem, but I'd rather not throw any more money at these speakers. Might as well sell them and get something better!

you have the less desirable tweeter known to be harsh
 
View attachment 2084047 View attachment 2084042 I was also spoiled with ads....but for the size factor.? What else really is there. ? I’ve got a bunch of variants ........I happen to have them surfacing the hole.......I will prob rig a few Variants up to the selector switch just because......

what else is there?

The Canton Plus S is heads above the ADS, Vanco Compac 50, and soooooo much better than the Minimus 7. I've owned all four of these almost identical looking speakers, there may be more, but I haven't seen them.

maxresdefault (7).jpg

But you won't get these for $8, or even $30, if less than $80 jump on them.
 
These weren't designed for "audiophiles". They were designed so Joe Sixpack could get pretty good sound from an inexpensive, small, unobtrusive box. Not unlike the Bose philosophy.

I'd say they succeeded.

When i worked part time at the shack in the late 90's, I connected a pair to one of their passive subs and that combo sold itself.

This Canton setup can often be had on eBay for less than $150, Plus S and matching Plus C passive sub.

canton-plus-c-plus-s (1).jpg

These German engineered speakers were not cheap when new, the above setup would have set you back close to a grand back in the day.
 
Last edited:
I have 3 pair of the 7Ws. They are superb for computer duty and for rear surround duty with my Marantz NR 1608. I dont find the highs or mids harsh or grating at all. I think they are perfect for what I use them for. Expecting them to be something they are not is rather silly.

Many speakers get over-hyped on AK. A few come to mind that I have owned after reading about them on here. Dynaco A-25s were the ones I bought with the highest expectations. They are a nice speaker with great bass for their size, nothing wrong with that......but the gushing about them raised my expectations way too high. The Heresy is yet another example, thank god I found a pair to listen to before I was going to buy them. My point is that there seems to be a following for almost every speaker. The Minimus has a loyal following because they were and are an inexpensive speaker that sounds pretty decent, especially for their size. There are also tons of replacement parts since they sold more of them that pretty much any other speaker sold in the past 40 years......that makes them cheap and fun to modify without risking a lot of money.

They are what they are, no more, no less. There has not been a Min7 bashing thread in a long time so lets get it over with.

View attachment 2084519

I agree with you about the A25s and the Heresys.
I will say the 25s at least were musical.
I really couldn't find any redeeming quality in the Heresys:idea:
 
I purchased a pair in the 80s as surrounds and still have them albeit not currently in use. I think they provided good value in a compact design for a modest investment. And with an active community that provides modification advice.

As one who sold ADS in college, I found the L200 superior but if memory serves was about triple the price.
 
Last edited:
I have had many pair of 7s. Still have two pair of 7Ws.

Not in use, but use them as test speakers. When used in a large space, they sound like a much larger speaker.

I had been using them for computer audio with a small Kenwood amp, and I thought they sounded very good.

Mine are the Japanese version with the metal plate tweeter. I have had both though.

At work I have a pair of the newer RCA version in the shop. Mounted up high. All the guys like them for what they are. Replaced my set of KLH 20s that the guys could not respect.
(Blew a tweeter on one)

Rob
 
The metal plate tweets were in the "A" (first) models. Some say they sound much better than the plastic surround ones.

For some reason I have a pair of each version (except the wood cabinet) in storage but have never A/B'd them to hear the difference. I've never really been a fan of them after hearing ADS 200's, but I can't pass up a free set. I'm using two pair of ADS 300's and a pair of 200's with Dahlquist DQ-20 in the HT system and am very happy with them, I was using 730's but felt bad seeing my Dahlquist's in storage.
 
I will say that I dont like anything but the Min 7 Ws. I dont like black or white speakers of any finish. The usual Radio Shack high quality walnut veneer makes them very handsome IMO.
 
They are a nice speaker with great bass for their size, nothing wrong with that......but the gushing about them raised my expectations way too high.View attachment 2084519

This is pretty much the reason why I bought my 7's. I've seen so many positive reviews about these speakers, barely a negative one in sight, and how they sound even better once a new crossover was installed. I wasn't expecting this speaker to blow my socks off with pure audiophile quality, but I expected it to just sound good, high-fidelity at least, you know? It's definitely not the case with these. I've heard PC speakers that sound better than these things! :(

Since I've seen nothing but positivity about the 7's online, I figured I'd create this thread just to bash it a little. I don't want another person to go down the same route I did; Have their expectations raised too high, buy a pair of 7's, mod them, and be disappointed with their purchase.
 
Back
Top Bottom