• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone else not a fan of the Minimus 7's?

P1010001.JPG

I liked the Min7 that I used with my computer until I got these Ensembles by Kloss. The Emsembles have recently been replace with Kloss Ambiance.
 
Since I've seen nothing but positivity about the 7's online, I figured I'd create this thread just to bash it a little. I don't want another person to go down the same route I did; Have their expectations raised too high, buy a pair of 7's, mod them, and be disappointed with their purchase.

Nice way to make an impression on a new forum. Bashing something many people respect.

any people had realistic expectations when they buy them. Just because yours were not met is no need to start a thread to bash them.
 
Last edited:
Nice way to make an impression on a new forum. Bashing something many people respect.

any people had realistic expectations when they buy them. Just because yours were not met is no need to start a thread to bash them.

It seems like I phrased that wrong. I'm just trying to share my opinion. These speakers were not what I was expecting.

But have you taken people who don't know much about speakers into consideration? This was me when I bought my 7's.
 
Last edited:
Yes. but you can't blame your disappointment for not getting a diamond for the price of coal on anyone except yourself.

I already said that I wasn't expecting "pure audiophile quality", AKA a diamond. These speakers have been hyped up so much, that I was expecting them to be of good quality and being pleasant to listen to, which obviously wasn't the case.
 
I already said that I wasn't expecting "pure audiophile quality", AKA a diamond. These speakers have been hyped up so much, that I was expecting them to be of good quality and being pleasant to listen to, which obviously wasn't the case.
Again, for what they are they are quite impressive. Not everyone has the same expectations. That's why basing ones purchasing decisions purely on what one reads on a web site is pure folly.
 
I played around with the 7's, including recapping. They were fine but didn't do anything for me at low volume.
I have kept and enjoyed my minimus 11's as low volume near field for my work computer in a sparsely populated office. They have a nice imaging sweet spot at low volume levels, even with sub optimal desk placement
 
Again, for what they are they are quite impressive. Not everyone has the same expectations. That's why basing ones purchasing decisions purely on what one reads on a web site is pure folly.

Pure folly? So what am I supposed to do then? Drive to every thrift store in my state and ask if they have a pair of Minimus 7's I can listen to before purchasing them? :D

Really, though. They are impressive speakers for the size. But what I'm trying to say here is that I've noticed how some people are making these speakers seem better than what they are.
 
Pure folly? So what am I supposed to do then? Drive to every thrift store in my state and ask if they have a pair of Minimus 7's I can listen to before purchasing them? :D
Poor baby. I'm sure you dropped a goodly portion of your IRA into buyim and modding them.

Really, though. They are impressive speakers for the size. But what I'm trying to say here is that I've noticed how people seem to be making these speakers seem better than what they are.
And again. many people love these and accept them for what they are. Their opinions rate, too.

Now, why not start a good bose bashing thread...
 
And again. many people love these and accept them for what they are. Their opinions rate, too.

Exactly. So that's the reason why I'm here, sharing my opinion about these speakers. There's not enough criticism on the 7's. Or from what I've noticed, at least.
 
Exactly. So that's the reason why I'm here, sharing my opinion about these speakers. There's not enough criticism on the 7's. Or from what I've noticed, at least.
Starting a thread purely to bash something is a bit different than simply sharing an opinion.

'sharing an opinion" would be more like chiming in on a thread when something is already under discussion.
 
Starting a thread purely to bash something is a bit different than simply sharing an opinion.

'sharing an opinion" would be more like chiming in on a thread when something is already under discussion.

If that's truly the case, then you'll have to excuse me for this. I'm still trying to figure out my way around these forums.
 
There's a reason it's been in production for 6 decades virtually unchanged, but every speaker has it's haters.

They are a very well made speaker for sure. But I despise horn tweeters on any speaker. They are of course a great speaker to use with tube flea watt amp and I think that is one of the biggest the reasons they have such a loyal following. The rolled off bass is not a problem for some depending on the music they listen to. Just like the Minimus 7s, they are what they are. I bought a pair of KG2s first to see if I liked the horn sound and I despised it and the only ok bass. I sold them to a local shop that had some Heresies all set up. They were not for me.
 
I like my Minimus 77's a bit better that the 7's. They are currently in use as my computer speakers driven by a cheapo class d chip amp DIY kit. They work great nearfield at low to moderate volume.
Downsides to the 77's - they are susceptible to foam rot on the woofer. They use a similar tweeter to the 7 (SD-61 or SD-62), so if the highs are not to your liking, probably not much different.

7 vs 77 front.jpg 7 vs 77 rear.jpg
 
I have a pair of 40-2030C's, with custom audiophile crossovers I installed from eBay seller Litekeys. The imaging of these speakers is fantastic, and the bass is plentiful for the size. But, the upper mid-range and treble? Terrible. It's so harsh and grating.

Maybe it's the crossovers I have in these speakers?

That grating upper mid and treble is exactly the problem that has plagued these since inception (regardless of which stock tweeter is installed). Only part of the problem is due to the free-running woofer causing interference with upper frequencies. Various mods over the years have tried to address this.

And that's what the litekeys crossover does -- adds a lowpass filter for the woofer. Unfortunately it does nothing to tame the tweeter's own peaky response profile.

AK-born PZ-2.x circuits (based on Pete B's PB-1) appear to be the only mods that successfully solve both issues. Performance is remarkably refined compared to stock.

Little 4" woofer based Cantons or ADS may offer the pinnacle of tiny speakers, but PZ modded Minimus-7's will get you quite close for much less coin.
 
Last edited:
I bought my first set of Minimus 7s in 1984 to use in my 75 Buick Skyhawk (it originally only had a mono AM/FM radio and I didn't want to cut up the doors to install speakers). They sounded pretty good driven by a Sherwood power amp. That's probably where they sound their best, in a relatively small space. I didn't expect Infinity quality, but I was a poor college student, and it was all I could afford. I did blow a woofer a couple of times, but it was covered by Radio Shack's warranty.

I have several more pairs now, but all of them were bought used for $10 or less/pair.
 
But have you taken people who don't know much about speakers into consideration? This was me when I bought my 7's.
With all due respect, it's about perspective.

Have you taken people who don't know much about speakers but make blanket statements about them into consideration? Or how a well versed audio community might respond to such blanket assertions?

Try to put yourself in the seat of the responders who have been audio enthusiasts for decades, who have heard dozens if not hundreds of high quality and even reference systems, who have critically listened extensively to dozens or more various speakers in systems some of which tally a cost well into 6 figures, and even some of whom are engineers that designed many successful loudspeakers for main stream manufacturers. These folks as well as folks just like yourself, and all manner of enthusiast in between are who make up the Audiokarma community. Some of us have very extensive and detailed points of reference when it comes to many things audio related.

Along with your opinion, why not share your points of reference? The associated upstream gear you used? The various placements and positioning you tied?

The kind of music you like and your listening preferences are also factors in choosing the right loudspeaker for you/your application.

Opinions are welcome here. But, remember that in this area of interest the validity of most any opinion is going to be based on the points of reference supporting it. Without some supporting points of reference, strong opinions can quickly bare bones of contention.
 
With all due respect, it's about perspective...Along with your opinion, why not share your points of reference? The associated upstream gear you used? The kind of music you like and your listening preferences are also factors in choosing the right loudspeaker for you/your application.
These relevant questions apply to another newbie who came here swinging his d... ;)
 
There an okay speaker for what they are. They were nice in my truck when I had a car stereo a while back which sounded good. I replaced a pair in my living room system with a pair of Realistic MC 500 speakers. They sounded better in the bass department. I still use a pair for testing amplifiers and receivers.
 
Back
Top Bottom