• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone ever heard of Tannoy speakers?

Anubis

Super Member
I'm looking at an ad in my local Recycler for a pair of Tannoy bookshelf speakers. I've never heard of them before. Anyone here ever heard of them?
Sorry the ad does not list model number.
 
Register to hide this ad
Tannoy is a very respected UK manufacturer. I've never heard any of them, but I know people who swear by them.
 
FORGET READING THIS THREAD - RUN AND I MEAN RUN TO GET THEM. The company is one of the more well respected in the speaker industry. I do not think they ever made a bad speaker.
 
Anyone ever heard of Tannoy speakers?

You´re just kidding, right???
We'd like to think so :-)

One of the grandest old names in loudspeakers and drivers.

In the UK the term "Tannoy" is used generically to describe public address speakers (much as tissues here are generically referred to as Kleenex)
 
Lots of different models. Some conventional(woofer and tweeter), some coaxial, some dual-concentric. If they are vintage Tannoys, they would be well worth looking into. Chances are you have something along the lines of a conventional driver setup, which is still good, although Tannoy does make a small bookshelf(standmount), mass-market dual-concentric line, using 6 and 8 in. poly drivers.
 
Run, don't walk. Fly there if it's faster, don't care if you're not home yet before dinner.

JUST


GET


THEM


NOW.
 
Oh fab! Ok, just because I'm nearly half Brit doesn't mean I know of these.:)
Fabulous, I'm calling on them tonight!
 
Unless the seller is relatively old, bookself doesn't describe any of the concentric speakers (horn tweeter firing out of the woofer's voice coil using the woofer as its horn) which are Tannoy's main claim to fame. The concentrics, which range from absolutely first rate to pretty damn good, all took large enclosures. But the smaller Tannoys are also often very good, so trot right down there and find out. If they are concentric (you would tell by there being a big woofer and no seperate tweeter) they are worth buying if you can afford them. If two or three way with multiple drivers, it depends on if you like how they sound.
 
tannoy made some nearfields that were "ok" not great using the dual concentric design. i tried mfn 8s in my studio running on a mac 2505 i went back to ns10ms. thay also had or have a joint venture with esoteric that produced some bookshelf models.
 
Sadly the Tannoys were sold two days after the ad placed which was 07/15/10. With my luck they were probably silvers, but I doubt it judging by the other stuff he has.
He does have a couple of 2-head Naks I might be interested in even though I prefer a 3-head, but then again, a Nak is a Nak and as far as I know they were all good pretty much. He also has a place full of what I consider to be junk, JVC, old Dennon, Tanberg, etc.
 
Sorry, I did get Tanberg and Tandy confused, my bad. I'm not familar with all things vintage, I'm still learning what is what.
 
Uh, definitely not a troll. I simply got mixed up. I'm quite serious about vintage audio and am still learning so please be careful with judgement calls like that. Thank you.

Didn't seem like you were trolling to me.
However, when I read you passed on a Tandberg, as well as missing the Tannoys, I choked up a bit. Glad it was just Tandy, though.
 
Back
Top Bottom