• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone ever heard of Tannoy speakers?

Radio Shack did not market Tandy for audio. It was computers. Realistic was RS brand name for audio. Are u sure it wasn't Tandberg?

BTW, even Realistic was rebadged from some great names in audio. They still do it today. Also, JVC made some good equipment back then.
 
..multiple references.. said:
tannoy dual concentric design.

I've recently found a pair of the smaller (afain) dualconcentrics for 7.5 Euro's at a flea market.
Money well spent if you ask me, they sound damn nice for a pair of bookshelfs.

DSCF4101.jpg


I think I'm even growing fond of their fuglyness.
 
I own the following Tannoy's:

Tannoy C6.jpg

They are a mid-90ies mass market speaker. Nothing special in the build: 6½ poly woofer and ¾ soft dome tweeter. Decent quality drivers, Vifa or comparable. Enclosures feel solid. Nice banana jacks. They sound pretty good for what they are.

az
 
A former AK member has a pair of Tannoy bookshelf speakers and he brought them along one day, they sounded as you would expect - bloody marvelous.
 
Didn't seem like you were trolling to me.
However, when I read you passed on a Tandberg, as well as missing the Tannoys, I choked up a bit. Glad it was just Tandy, though.

I just found out that the guy still has a "Tandberg" (yes, Tandberg this time) item. He says it's a small amp. I'll look at it, but I don't know what the good models are. I wonder if I could run an external amp with a receiver as opposed to a tuner?
 
Sorry, I did get Tanberg and Tandy confused, my bad. I'm not familar with all things vintage, I'm still learning what is what.

Nothing to be ashamed about as far as getting up to speed on things.

There was a Craigslist ad in my neighborhood for "Tannoy" speakers. When i got there (thankfully it was just a walk down the block), they were old Radio Shack by 'Tandy' Corporation speakers. Some members here speak highly of them, but they were not Tannoy. It's easy to make mistakes.
 
Radio Shack did not market Tandy for audio. It was computers. Realistic was RS brand name for audio. Are u sure it wasn't Tandberg?

BTW, even Realistic was rebadged from some great names in audio. They still do it today. Also, JVC made some good equipment back then.

Thanks for bringing that up, your right. Man, I got really confused last night! My head just was not in the right place.
There was actually a couple of Realistic receivers that were good, I'm not recalling the models though ,but I have them written down someplace. I'm going to look at the JVC he has because I'm curious, so far all I have seen is the BTOL stuff. He has one that is 70 watts. I'm not going to buy it because I'm looking for 100 watts minimum, but I still want to see it.
 
I've recently found a pair of the smaller (afain) dualconcentrics for 7.5 Euro's at a flea market.
Money well spent if you ask me, they sound damn nice for a pair of bookshelfs.


I think I'm even growing fond of their fuglyness.

Woah! Beautiful! I have put Tannoy in the top rankings of my list of speakers to look for!
 
Uh, definitely not a troll. I simply got mixed up. I'm quite serious about vintage audio and am still learning so please be careful with judgement calls like that. Thank you.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend! I just thought you were trying to get a rise out of some of the fellows on the forum. Good luck on the Tandberg!

Tandy, Tandgerg, Panny, I suppose it can get confusing. :)
 
I see a lot of Tannoy and Tandberg at work - Tannoys for commercial sound reinforcement, both in-ceilings and external, and Tandberg for HD videoconferencing codecs and cameras :)

Generally don't see any Tandberg items for less than $10k...and they go up to as much as you want to spend :D
 
JimJ[VT];3859862 said:
I see a lot of Tannoy and Tandberg at work - Tannoys for commercial sound reinforcement, both in-ceilings and external, and Tandberg for HD videoconferencing codecs and cameras :)

Generally don't see any Tandberg items for less than $10k...and they go up to as much as you want to spend :D

Hmm, makes me wonder what in the world this guy has Tandberg-wise that he is willing to let go for $50?
 
Sorry, didn't mean to offend! I just thought you were trying to get a rise out of some of the fellows on the forum. Good luck on the Tandberg!

Tandy, Tandgerg, Panny, I suppose it can get confusing. :)

Indeed it does get confusing. A few folks here had me going for 3 weeks wanting me to post pics of "nudies" until I finally figured out they were talking about pics of the uints with the lids off. I had a good laugh about that.
 
I'm very happy you did not go with your guts on that one before figuring it out. That is unless you are of the female persuasion.
 
Yeah, I only know about Tannoy from a lot of online reading over the last 15 years. I think they're pretty unusual, even largely unknown in the USA.

And Denon makes decent stuff, though IMHO the AK-DL1 interconnect is a bit overpriced...
 
I'm very happy you did not go with your guts on that one before figuring it out. That is unless you are of the female persuasion.

Indeed. I just learned a valuable lesson and that is to not discount anything just because one has never heard of it. As someone else pointed out to me, there are lots of pieces that are overlooked by those who don't know and not bothering to learn. It is too bad the Tannoys are no longer available from the seller, but I'm going to see what else he has.
 
Yeah, I only know about Tannoy from a lot of online reading over the last 15 years. I think they're pretty unusual, even largely unknown in the USA.

And Denon makes decent stuff, though IMHO the AK-DL1 interconnect is a bit overpriced...

I never said Denon does not make decent stuff. I like a number of their modern receivers and I have a 1940ci DVD player that's great. I'm just not in the market for their older receivers, but I'm sure they may be even better than the modern ones. That said, if I run into a 100 watt or better older 70s Denon you can bet I will still look at it and give it proper consideration, so who knows? I also would not mind a refurbed older Denon CD player.
 
Back
Top Bottom