• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Late 80s TANNOY any good?

Audi0

Super Member
At a local second hand store in town theres a set of tannoy speakers. There mabye early 90s and there bigger then the average bookshelf. I forgot the model number. Tannoys from that era any good?
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't know much about Tannoy, but if it was me in your position, I'd get them on a name only basis. Tannoy's have a great rep, so I'd get them if the price was right.
 
By the size they sound promising. If they are coax drivers the woofer has a metal horn in the middle of the woofer. These would be the best, the others may be good. Tannoy is the oldest speaker mfr still making speakers since the beginning. You should look at the surrounds, if they are bad they will be expensive to rebuild but well worth it. Please post whatever else you can.
 
I just bought them on name say. This is my first set of TANNOY. Model C-8
Have the original foam surrounds with no signs of decay. The shop owner wanted $70 but..... I talked him down to $37. Near half of what he wanted.

DSC01136.jpg
DSC01138.jpg
DSC01139.jpg
 
These would not be considered Tannoy "canon", but were built by API Canada, the same guys behind Energy, Athena, Mirage and a few others. I used to own the smaller cousin of these, the C-6, not a bad speaker overall and probably a good deal for what you paid. Enjoy!

az
 
I was thinking these were TANNOY. However pointed out by audiozaz there api group TANNOY. My intentions with these TANNOY were to replace some polk audio m10, with a more exotic name like tannoy. I would enjoy these speakers but i have too many as it is allready. Sooooo...... i guess im going to put them on the local classifeds. Let some one else enjoy them.
 
Back
Top Bottom