• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone know the story with Marcon capacitors?

Robisme

Sansui Enthusiast
Subscriber
I have a couple of pieces with Marcon caps in them. I was thinking of re-capping one of them, but don't want to pull these caps if they are special.

Any ideas?

Rob
 
Register to hide this ad
It is a more el-cheapo brand afaik. So the brand is nothing special. Myself, I have seen no evidence to think they are less good than others.
 
Marcon Capacitors used to be owned part of Toshiba; I think they have since been bought by United Chemi-con. The quality of Marcon capacitors appear to be comparable to that of other Japanese manufactured capacitors.
 
Thanks. So away they will go.:yes:

Interesting that Toshiba had a hand in them, as one of the pieces I have with the Marcon caps is a Toshiba amp.

The other is a Nikko Beta 40.

Rob
 
Wile this is an old thread now I thought I would add my 2 cents worth...

Marcon was indeed originally owned by Toshiba and in 1995 was acquired by Nippon Chemi-con https://www.procureinc.com/manufacturer/Marcon_-_United_Chemi-Con/

I have recently acquired a mid 70s AMI Jorgen A-555 stereo amplifier for a small outlay. The owner said it was dead on the left channel but when I got it home and tested it I found nothing wrong with the left channel. It seems he wasn't aware that with the balance control hard over on RIGHT the left channel receives no input signal - duh!

Anyway I thought I would check out the power supply which used a couple of 2200uF Marcon axial caps and one 470uF Marcon axial cap. I Removed these caps to test for both capacitance and Tan-Delta quality (more indicative than simple ESR). I was surpised to find that the 2200u caps measured at least 2500u and the 470u measured over 600u - very good. The Tan-Delta test for all 3 caps was equally surprising showing a low value of around 0.08, where anything under 0.1 for these values and voltage rating is very good - the lower the reading the better the performance as a filter cap. I suspect that when properly run in during operation this figure would drop even lower. The very good Tan-Delta reading indicates that these Marcon caps are very good quality indeed and still with near new indicative measurements. Not bad for caps around 50 years old.
 
Oh my goodness!
I have a few Marcons from like.. 1982 or so, when they were sampling us at microwave associates! I call them Marklars now

1000 uMarklars
Ok just shoot me now while u can
 
I am rebuilding a TEAC V-530X tape deck from the early 80s. Mostly has Marcon caps, and though I am going to refresh the power supply, all of the caps I have pulled test good. Haven't pulled any low voltage caps yet, so can't say how they faired with age, but I won't be pulling and testing many others.

EDIT: Some of the low voltage caps are showing signs of age, as are some of the caps near heat sinks. They are 105C rated, however, which has probably helped them hold on as well as they have for so long. Will come up with a rebuild thread at some point. Only have a scat to go by, but it does have a nicely marked audio path. Bought it new the summe after my freshman year in college, and it still sounds good, but some quirky things have cropped up like no LEDs for the R channel meter (which is probably bad solder joints, but I digress...
 
Last edited:
My Stax DA-80 is full of them, I really need to get around to replacing them as they are getting on for 50 years old, but they still look, and sound good to me.
 
A lot of the older Nikko stuff has the Marcon caps expecially the large filter caps. They probably got a large discount from buying in bulk. I have a couple of mid 90's Nikko preamps the Beta 400 series which used nothing but Nichicon Muse caps which looks pretty cool with all the dark green caps populated thru out.
I have 2 Alpha II and Alpha III amps and all of them have Marcon caps with the 10000uf 70vdc filter caps. The light grey caps they used were of the cheaper variety as almost everyone I pulled was way out of spec but being 40-50 years old what would you expect
 
Back
Top Bottom