• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone using a receiver as a pre amp?

richamor

amateur house husband
I'm thinking of using my Marantz 2235b as a pre amp to the Bozak 939. Any advantages or dis-advantages to using a receiver instead of a dedicated pre?
 
Register to hide this ad
I had a 1090 I used as a pre and it was very good. I briefly used a 2252 as a pre as well. The old Marantzes with pre outs worked very well. I currently am using a Sansui AU-7900 as a pre into a Spectro Acoustics model 200r just to check out the SA sound. I must say that it is smoother than the Phase Linear amp I had. I would think what you are asking should be no problem. The only thing I would be looking at is the power amp you are using. You might be hard pressed to find something with as smooth a power section as the Marantz you have in the receiver already.
 
I have tried a Sony STR DA-7100ES as a preamp, and it worked fair, but not great. A dedicated preamp in general should provide improved perfromance.
 
I used a marantz 2245 for a pre for a bit. It colored the sound as I wanted but I decided to use it in another system. It worked well for what I wanted though. Give it a try see if you like it or not.
 
Normally a reciever's pre-amp section isn't quite as refined as a stand alone pre. Then there"s a few recievers that have surprisingly good pre-amp sections. The sansui 9090db and the pioneer sx1010 were 2 of my favorites. Using a better amp through the reciever's pre-outs is a great bang for the buck way to improve on the sound the reciever.
 
Well, the 2235 will get a recap before I put it back in use. I was just curious as to whether I would be better off selling the Marantz and buying a dedicated preamp.
 
My Harman/Kardon 330B had pre-amp outs and I used it with a Crown D-150A for a short period of time and it worked very well, but I have to agree, a stand alone pre-amp will give you better performance.
 
I have used a Yamaha CR-1020 as a preamplifier into a Kenwood KM-X1000, driving my Bozak B302a speakers. The matchup was very good.
 
there is not any steadfast rule : original quality combined with present quality (ie : needs re-capping?) are the big contingents ..... however, when you've just spent a whack on getting that "lifetime" amp .....the prices of preamps can be scary : especially if you go relatively new and you have to go for, yet, a separate phono preamp....using the (good, hopefully) "old" receiver as a preamp is a good strategy ...... and to many , a surprisingly good one (let's not forget : the sound of many vintage receivers that people enjoy is largely due to it's own preamp
 
On occasion I use a Realistic STA-2000 as a pre for my Dynaco ST-150 amplifier.

While the Realistic by itself sounds big, full and quite pleasing but hooking up the Dynaco brings out startling clarity while retaining a bit of the realistic warmth.
 
I'm using a Realistic/Hitachi SA 2001 integrated for my pre (outstanding) into the aux input of a Sony STR 6065. However unorthodox, the sound is amazing. Better than any combo I have tried, and better by far than either piece by itself.
 
I'm currently using a Sony STR-D5300ES as a pre-amp with an Emotiva XPA-5 5ch amp. I use the surround amps from the receiver and have my main speakers bi-amped. It sounds just fine to me. I see no issues.
 
I'm currently using a Sony STR-D5300ES as a pre-amp with an Emotiva XPA-5 5ch amp. I use the surround amps from the receiver and have my main speakers bi-amped. It sounds just fine to me. I see no issues.

Now that's a slick way to biamplify. Are you using an active or passive scheme?
 
Keep an eye out for a decent dedicated pre-amp. On the used market they can be had without breaking the bank. Then you'll forget all about using the marantz's pre out section.
 
One thing to watch out for . . . make sure you put grounding plugs on the amp input. Otherwise, your amp section could be sitting there amplifying all kinds of extraneous noise, (consuming power and causing wear-n-tear), without you being aware of it.

Personally, if I were to do this on a somewhat long-term basis, I'd disconnect the internal power connections to the amp section. It should be fairly easy to do, and then re-do.

Just my 2-cents.

Artie
 
I'm currently using a Sony STR-D5300ES as a pre-amp with an Emotiva XPA-5 5ch amp. I use the surround amps from the receiver and have my main speakers bi-amped. It sounds just fine to me. I see no issues.


Yep. I had tried that trick as well, with a DA9000ES as a power amp for the 7100ES preamp. I used the 9000 as bi-amped for the front L/R channels, as well as the center and surrond.

However, after changing out the front speakers to Legacy, wound up selling all the Sony gear and obtained a pair of Nakamichi PA-7 for the front and rear, and a PA-5 for the center. Also obtained a Krell Showcase as a preamp, which did work out better than the 7100 as a preamp.
 
I'm thinking of using my Marantz 2235b as a pre amp to the Bozak 939. Any advantages or dis-advantages to using a receiver instead of a dedicated pre?

I used a Heathkit AR-1500A receiver preamp out to drive my Crown amp for over 20 years. Sounded beautiful to me. The advantages were super high power, a Tuner and many line inputs almost like an Integrated amp. It's really not a big deal go ahead and try it. :yes:
 
+1 on the Advent 300, I used one to drive a Marantz 140 amp. Sounded better than the Marantz 3200 pre that came with the amp.
 
Back
Top Bottom