• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AR 11 woofers??

thought91

Active Member
Hi, I just bought a pair of AR 11's with cheap RadioShack woofers in'em. I'd very much like to have stock woofers, but I also don't want to spend 300 dollars. Does anyone know of any way I can resolve my problem without breaking the bank?
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi, I just bought a pair of AR 11's with cheap RadioShack woofers in'em. I'd very much like to have stock woofers, but I also don't want to spend 300 dollars. Does anyone know of any way I can resolve my problem without breaking the bank?
I would post a WTB in BT. Might get get a decent pair needing new surrounds.
 
Also consider AR service replacements. They will sound pretty much the same. I restored a set of 3a's last year, one woofer was a service replacement, and there was no difference in sound from the original woofer in the other cab.
 
Also consider AR service replacements. They will sound pretty much the same. I restored a set of 3a's last year, one woofer was a service replacement, and there was no difference in sound from the original woofer in the other cab.
Interesting, how much did you pay?
 
Patience is the key if you want get replacement woofers as cheap as possible, as this is how I did it... It took a bit longer than I wanted to, but was worth the wait in the end.

I recommend doing some research on the various AR woofers and which ones went into each speaker. There is an amazing amount of info in the AR3A Restoration Guide found here: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/...ing_the_ar-3a/restoring_the_ar-3a_full_pd.pdf

Take cues on the do's and don'ts from forum members like GD70 and watch ebay and bartertown religiously!

KC
 
I am trying to picture how you install Radio Shack 12 in woofers in a AR11 cabinet. Did they cut the sides down flat to make them fit?

I agree with kcdonahue about patience being the key. Here are two extra sets I currently have in reserve. The set on the left came from some Connoisseur 50 speakers. I found them at a flea market while on my way to Florida. Notice the poly cones. Of course they all needed new foam. The set on the right are service replacements that came out of a set of early AR 3a's I restored. It took me almost two years to track down the correct alanco cloth surround woofers and these were pulled.

CmyK5i0.jpg


Edf4qiQ.jpg


I believe both sets were manufactured by Tonegen. Some say that all the different variations are fairey close in performance. The original woofers in my other set of 3a's have round magnets while the woofers in my 9's and 91's have square magnets. Good luck in finding a good set. It will eventually happen. Still would like to know how those RS woofers were mounted.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom