• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

AT PL-120 in the house (arcorob gets a woodie thread)

Out of curiosity, can you guys explain what the O-rings on the tonearm are actually doing? I know its to improve the sound, but what, technically speaking, are the O- rings doing to accomplish this? I also have a AT-LP120 table and want to try this tweak.
 
O rings are supposed to to dampen vibrations or ringing in the tonearm which can feedback to the stylus, and affect the sound.
 
Anyone who has spare o rings that would fit atpl120 that would like to ship to Iran? I want a few please! :)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Well I got the o-rings around the tonearm according to Frank Sol's configuration, and I have to agree with Bobins....I have to admit I hear a clearer sonic picture. I like the results....


I finally got around to adding weight to the counter-weight to compensate for the added o-rings so it wont sit back so far. Got some #6 metal flat washers 9/16" and added two to the back of the counter-weight. Perfect fit in diameter and center hole.

Now it looks proper :D
 
Last edited:
I actually got rid of the washers on my PL120 and bought the heavier AT counterweight. Looks a lot better and I have more cartridge options.
 
So you been spinning this table for some time now. Are you still happy with the results?

Mine has not left the system for what, 4 years now :)
 
So you been spinning this table for some time now. Are you still happy with the results?

Mine has not left the system for what, 4 years now :)


Very happy with it... Used it some yesterday

Congrats on your 4 yr anniversary :D

BTW-- comments on the internet (not here) about this TT (non USB) are riddled with comments about the the USB version. Anyhow, yesterday I was looking around and was surprised over the asking price for used PL-120 :scratch2:

Not such a bargain any longer
 
Last edited:
Very happy with it... Used it some yesterday

Congrats on your 4 yr anniversary :D

BTW-- comments on the internet (not here) about this TT (non USB) are riddled with comments about the the USB version. Anyhow, yesterday I was looking around and was surprised over the asking price for used PL-120 :scratch2:

Not such a bargain any longer



Indeed Frank! I couldn't believe it either. I bought my non-usb PL-120 brand new about four years ago (the audio store where I bought it has since closed and no longer exists [Alterman Audio]), and I didn't pay anywhere near the current asking price for that USED one on Amazon! There was actually a listing for a NEW PL-120 (this was a couple of months ago), and the asking price for that one was $700!!!

Unrelatedly, Amazon also has a couple of listings of the AT LP-240, which is no longer available either.

Asking price for a USED one: $650!

Asking price for a NEW one: $700!

I paid less than $300 for mine brand new, shipping included.

HOLY CRAP!!!!
 
Last edited:
Used LP120's go for a stupid amount on ebay, too. I've seen them go for $200 not including shipping when a brand new one with a warranty was Buy It Now $240 shipped. I don't get it.:screwy:
 
Just goes to show...!! ;)
I haven't used or heard one of these, but I'm sure they're not quite the *crap* that some audiofools will automatically brand them.. ;)
It seems that they're well put together, solid, and perform well with no audible wow & flutter or rumble, and the arm isn't a bad one either, so I don't get the hate that they elicit!! OK, they may be a Technics rip-off/clone, but that's no bad thing either - at least they're not a Crossly clone!! ;)
Having the 78rpm function as standard is nice too - I wish my SL-1210 had that, but being in the UK it would be unfeasible to ship mine to KAB for the modification, and stupidly expensive!!
So I say more power to Audio Technica for having this level of quality turntable available at a reasonable price :)
 
Once in awhile I check the market price for used PL-120 (non USB) - This came to mind today because I'm using mine to spin some 78s later today

I REALIZE asking price isn't true market value

I found a new one for $999 :nono:

Three used ones for $400-600

BTW-- What happened to Rob? Last post 09-10-2014
 
Just goes to show...!! ;)
I haven't used or heard one of these, but I'm sure they're not quite the *crap* that some audiofools will automatically brand them.. ;)
It seems that they're well put together, solid, and perform well with no audible wow & flutter or rumble, and the arm isn't a bad one either, so I don't get the hate that they elicit!! OK, they may be a Technics rip-off/clone, but that's no bad thing either - at least they're not a Crossly clone!! ;)
Having the 78rpm function as standard is nice too - I wish my SL-1210 had that, but being in the UK it would be unfeasible to ship mine to KAB for the modification, and stupidly expensive!!
So I say more power to Audio Technica for having this level of quality turntable available at a reasonable price :)


That's the problem with some members. Just because some of don't drink the same kool-aid, they have to make posts about something they have no experience with. I have a particular turntable I bought for my wife to use because the ARs I've had are manual. There is so much negative about this table except for one thread. I have been very pleased with my purchase and it does exceptionally well.

Frank, I hope the AT serves you well my friend. :thmbsp:

This will show you where my mind was, I thought Rob was helping Frank by building a wood plinth for his turntable. :dunno: :music:
 
Just goes to show...!! ;)
I haven't used or heard one of these, but I'm sure they're not quite the *crap* that some audiofools will automatically brand them.. ;)
It seems that they're well put together, solid, and perform well with no audible wow & flutter or rumble, and the arm isn't a bad one either, so I don't get the hate that they elicit!! OK, they may be a Technics rip-off/clone, but that's no bad thing either - at least they're not a Crossly clone!! ;)
Having the 78rpm function as standard is nice too - I wish my SL-1210 had that, but being in the UK it would be unfeasible to ship mine to KAB for the modification, and stupidly expensive!!
So I say more power to Audio Technica for having this level of quality turntable available at a reasonable price :)
So you think the wow and flutter isn't audible on a table you haven't heard?

Interesting :) !
 
This will show you where my mind was, I thought Rob was helping Frank by building a wood plinth for his turntable.


The "woodie" thing was an inside joke and was sorta funny taken in context and time frame

Rob started a thread that turned testy then finally got locked concerning certain TTs :smoke:
 
Back
Top Bottom