• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Attention Fairchild Freaks!

There was a 260 listed on jan 14th that sold fast for $985 usd.

I was told by a big-time collector that the 260's are heads and shoulders above the 255's, Had I seen them I probably would have bought this one and the one that sold back in November with the original cage
 
ok sorry. I was watching the latest pair and completely missed the first one for $1500. I think I will try to get a pair one day
 
Not a fan of the 412-2. The mechanism for changing the pullies is a bit wonky. Hard to get the tension right to get accurate speeds aboth 33 and 45. Low S/N if you're into that.
 
Not a fan of the 412-2. The mechanism for changing the pullies is a bit wonky. Hard to get the tension right to get accurate speeds aboth 33 and 45. Low S/N if you're into that.

The serial number is weird. It has a lower serial number than my earlier 412-1, but it has the glued-on, embossed dataplate that didn't appear until sometime in the 600s. I'm wondering if there isn't an ink-stamped "Basic Chassis" dataplate under that one.
 
I have recently acquired a Garrard 401 turntable with a Fairchild 280a Tonearm, can you guys tell me about the tonearm because I can find very little about it online.
 

Attachments

  • G8YdiLF.jpg
    G8YdiLF.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 29
I have recently acquired a Garrard 401 turntable with a Fairchild 280a Tonearm, can you guys tell me about the tonearm because I can find very little about it online.
There are a beautiful looking arm and do fairly well with low compliance carts, I tried mine with a GE VRII as well as a Denon DL102. I have to say I wasn't particularly impressed with the bearings. Rather simple and can break if you aren't careful when handling the unmounted arm and it drops, etc. (they are very heavy) IMHO the Gray (and other clone variants) viscous damped arms are way better as far as vintage arms go. It is pretty collectible, if it were mine I would probably sell it and use the funds towards something more recent.
 
There are a beautiful looking arm and do fairly well with low compliance carts, I tried mine with a GE VRII as well as a Denon DL102. I have to say I wasn't particularly impressed with the bearings. Rather simple and can break if you aren't careful when handling the unmounted arm and it drops, etc. (they are very heavy) IMHO the Gray (and other clone variants) viscous damped arms are way better as far as vintage arms go. It is pretty collectible, if it were mine I would probably sell it and use the funds towards something more recent.
It has a Shure cartridge on it currently but I don't know what model, that I'm hoping to upgrade at some point.
 
It has a Shure cartridge on it currently but I don't know what model, that I'm hoping to upgrade at some point.
By all means give it a spin! It is an interesting arm for sure. That arm would probably like an old Shure M3 or M7 cartridge. I really think the design of these things, they are beautiful but wasn't the best tracking arm I've ever had. Looks great with your 401 by the way! Let us know how it sounds.
 
The Garrard 401/ Fairchild 280 combo is rather unusual - the arm is probably several years older than the drive unit. I'm not sure exactly when Fairchild stopped producing the "banana" arms, but the more advanced SA-12 and 500 had already been in production before the 401 came around.
 
And to add to teh list a single 260 amp sold a few days ago on ebay - it wa sfarily steep though at $`1200
 
Back
Top Bottom