• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audio Karma Glossary

Thanks to everyone for the contributions to date. They have made this into a more valuable tool. Keep 'em coming.

Regards

D-Ray
 
OK, I'll add my pet peeve...

DAMP v. to absorb energy. Example: "I added 15lbs of cinder blocks to the top of my speaker to damp the vibrations of the flimsy panels."

DAMPEN v. to make wet. Example: "What's the best way to dampen the wires in my tonearm to control resonances?" The only answer would be, "Wipe them with a sponge soaked in water, that should make them wet but it won't help the resonances."
 
Sounds like you've been around long enough to know that the winning the argument is sometimes winning nothing at all.

Regards,

D-Ray

“Will Rogers said it best: there are two theories to arguin’ with a woman, and neither one of ‘em works.”
 
OK, I'll add my pet peeve...

DAMP v. to absorb energy. Example: "I added 15lbs of cinder blocks to the top of my speaker to damp the vibrations of the flimsy panels."

DAMPEN v. to make wet. Example: "What's the best way to dampen the wires in my tonearm to control resonances?" The only answer would be, "Wipe them with a sponge soaked in water, that should make them wet but it won't help the resonances."

Very good distinction. I confess to a slight uptick on my nerves when I see except used for accept, affect used for effect, irregardless used for irrespective, there for they're, mute for moot, and finally "I could care less," when the speaker actually means "I don't care at all" or "I couldn't care less." I recently dealt with a well educated professional who stated that he took a blade to someone to get an answer. He axed a question.

Regards,

D-Ray
 
“Will Rogers said it best: there are two theories to arguin’ with a woman, and neither one of ‘em works.”

He said many things very well. One of the finest minds to come out of Oklahoma. I don't say that in a belittling way either. It takes a particular genius to sum up so many aspect of the world in a humorous way. He was just way too smart to be a politician.

Regards,

D-Ray
 


Original Equipment Manufacturer

and hey, while I'm at it... my personal fav!

I have used this self diagnosis when friends come over and say WTF! when sighting unusual amounts of audio gear... in almost every room...

I calmly state that I "suffer" from AOCD....

"Audio Obsessive Compulsive Disorder"
 
Last edited:
Kabuki?

I take it is not a good thing to refer to speakers as Kabuki or kabukied but being fairly new here I don't know what it means and um wiki is no help either must be an AK term.........:scratch2::tresbon:
 
Very good distinction. I confess to a slight uptick on my nerves when I see except used for accept, affect used for effect, irregardless used for irrespective, there for they're, mute for moot, and finally "I could care less," when the speaker actually means "I don't care at all" or "I couldn't care less." I recently dealt with a well educated professional who stated that he took a blade to someone to get an answer. He axed a question.

Regards,

D-Ray

My ex-wife would confuse an expression I have never heard from anyone else... not even on AK. She would actually say "it ceases to amaze me". Why is it some people slap words together and articulate them without even thinking?
 
I almost did it myself. I meant to say that I have never heard anyone else say what she would say. I don't hear it much now, but my dad would say it a lot: "it never ceases to amaze me". I'll have to start using that with my family. :D

And I would like to get the definition of 'kabuki'.
 
My ex-wife would confuse an expression I have never heard from anyone else... not even on AK. She would actually say "it ceases to amaze me". Why is it some people slap words together and articulate them without even thinking?

I have most often it heard as "It never ceases to amaze me," which to me means that despite similar past observations, certain behavior or information is so out of the norm as to be unexpected.

It seems to me like the term "It ceases to amaze me," has its use as well. Conduct that at once would considered outrageous has become sufficiently commonplace that it no longer has the capacity to amaze.

Regards,

D-Ray
 
I take it is not a good thing to refer to speakers as Kabuki or kabukied but being fairly new here I don't know what it means and um wiki is no help either must be an AK term.........:scratch2::tresbon:
It kinda did start here at AK. And examples of Kabuki images...
 
As a newb here at AK, I think I'll be going back and deleting a few of my idiotic posts! Should have read this post first...:scratch2:
 
Hmm, I never saw this before, great thread. :thmbsp: May I add a couple/few, just in case others aren't familiar? YMMV= Your mileage (opinion or experience) may vary, ROTFL= Rolling on the floor laughing, TMI= Too much information, flipper= One whose primary goal is to resell gear for a profit, with no real appreciation for it. That's just a quick post, I can probably think of more later. :smoke:
 
Over on the Pentax Forums a commonly used term is LBA for "Lens Buying Addiction". I see it here more as _BA "fill in the blank" Buying Addiction

VBA - Vintage...
SBA - Speaker...
TBA - Tuna...

Curb Find - a "peace" ;) of audio gear that someone felt should go to the dump (I mean into an AKer's home for free). Well above even GW or SA status as no cost was involved.

John
 
Back
Top Bottom