• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audiogon fails to impress

Considering how bad it is and how many people are complaining I wonder why they don't just go back to the old format? I use to go their all the time and browse thru looking for good stuff, now I don't even bother.

:yes:

It's pathetic. No longer bother to go there.
 
I dont get it. many people here say that we are wimps, expect everything to be perfect all the time, bla bla bla...\
Now, something is taking a bit longer to be sorted out and its ship bailing time. jeez, I just sold LP's, an Integrated amp that drew zero attention anywhere else.

Its ok to have certain expectations of things, but this is just a whine fest as are all other Audiogon sucks threads all over the audio boards.....Oh life must be rough now that Audiogon screwed up.
 
I think that most people object to being used as quasi beta testers for a site renovation that should have been ironed-out before being rolled-out for public consumption.

You are saying that the end-users should be patient while the problems are being sorted.The end users are saying that it should have never been the case that a poorly conceived site restructure is presented for their use.

The end user is the life-blood of a site.Contempt for the end-user can swiftly result in a mass exodus from the product.

The owners of Agon may not have contempt for their end-users,however for a product that has to be used by the end user to have turned-out to be so user unfriendly and have lost so many desirable features and acquired so many bugs,the appeal that those dissatisfied should be patient and wait for the bugs to be ironed-out fails to acknowledge that the problems never should have been lain at the feet of the consumer in the first instance.

The anger is justified.The product is flawed.The repercussions may be ameliorated with time,but in the here and now with a deeply flawed site available for public consumption,it has to be expected that the inconvenienced end users are exasperated.
 
I dont get it. many people here say that we are wimps, expect everything to be perfect all the time, bla bla bla...\
Now, something is taking a bit longer to be sorted out and its ship bailing time. jeez, I just sold LP's, an Integrated amp that drew zero attention anywhere else.

Its ok to have certain expectations of things, but this is just a whine fest as are all other Audiogon sucks threads all over the audio boards.....Oh life must be rough now that Audiogon screwed up.

You are definitely in the minority. Even audio friends who are not AK members are unhappy with the new AG.
 
I think that most people object to being used as quasi beta testers for a site renovation that should have been ironed-out before being rolled-out for public consumption.

You are saying that the end-users should be patient while the problems are being sorted.The end users are saying that it should have never been the case that a poorly conceived site restructure is presented for their use.

The end user is the life-blood of a site.Contempt for the end-user can swiftly result in a mass exodus from the product.

The owners of Agon may not have contempt for their end-users,however for a product that has to be used by the end user to have turned-out to be so user unfriendly and have lost so many desirable features and acquired so many bugs,the appeal that those dissatisfied should be patient and wait for the bugs to be ironed-out fails to acknowledge that the problems never should have been lain at the feet of the consumer in the first instance.

The anger is justified.The product is flawed.The repercussions may be ameliorated with time,but in the here and now with a deeply flawed site available for public consumption,it has to be expected that the inconvenienced end users are exasperated.

Exactly. Its as if you went into a brick and mortar store and suddenly all the product was hung 10' off of the floor. "We wanted you to be able to see it better!" "Yeah, but i can't reach it." "Oh, my bad, wait around while I build you a ladder".
 
I agree that its been a bad release. The only complaint I have and I emailed them about it is the drop in traffic. If they are going to hit bottom before it gets better they should adjust their prices for listing accordingly..
 
This Agon thing follows my experience with corporate IT departments doing things in general.
Since IT department were decimated and a lot of the work got remotely sourced, focus groups and relationships with the end user that IT departments and companies used to use that can provide valid feedback seem to have gone out the window.

This is just another example.

It may take a while for Agon to improve, and it's obvious to me that they are improving, and will get there . . . or I will get used to using the new tool.
Why they didn't stage a second site and invite users to use it and provide feedback is beyond me.
To think that they were going to cut over with no recourse just before Christmas. Astoundingly bad planning. Poor execution even with the implementation delayed.
They may be at the mercy of some 3rd party company or have had infrastructure problems though. We don't know what's under the covers.

I'm not an IT person, but I am someone who's work-based computer use is controlled by an IT department.
 
Last edited:
Showing us how it should be done, http://kayak.com just launched a re-design of their site. It's fast, works without bugs and is a (small) improvement over the old.

*I'm not affiliated with Kayak in any way - just wanted to use an example I came across today to highlight the incompetency of whoever A'gon hired for their redesign.
 
Well, the boys have found a way to kill their own golden goose..

After weeks of preparedness Audiogon has relaunched tonight....it is a disaster of epic proportions....

I can't even find my own ads......"this listing does not exist" is the message I got...

Can't the geeks just leave well enough alone????????

THANK YOU!!

:uzi:
 
for the last week or so, i've been able to sort search results by category again (although this is unfortunately not the default), and the search function returns both gear and music. steps in the right direction, at least...
 
I think that most people object to being used as quasi beta testers for a site renovation that should have been ironed-out before being rolled-out for public consumption.

You are saying that the end-users should be patient while the problems are being sorted.The end users are saying that it should have never been the case that a poorly conceived site restructure is presented for their use.

The end user is the life-blood of a site.Contempt for the end-user can swiftly result in a mass exodus from the product.

The owners of Agon may not have contempt for their end-users,however for a product that has to be used by the end user to have turned-out to be so user unfriendly and have lost so many desirable features and acquired so many bugs,the appeal that those dissatisfied should be patient and wait for the bugs to be ironed-out fails to acknowledge that the problems never should have been lain at the feet of the consumer in the first instance.

The anger is justified.The product is flawed.The repercussions may be ameliorated with time,but in the here and now with a deeply flawed site available for public consumption,it has to be expected that the inconvenienced end users are exasperated.

That quite sums it up! I just listed 2 things and the applet crashed 4 or 5 times in the process! Now, I am getting question e-mails through A'gon's new "concealed e-mail address" communication system and when I reply, I don't hear back which leads me to believe they are not being delivered. This new website wasn't even ready for Beta testing yet- it's still in DEVELOPMENT! It's unbelievable that they have launched a new website that is so completely screwed up- even now a month later! At first I posted in this thread that a little patience would be required but now a month later and after posting a couple of items, I am running low on patience. :bash:
 
Just when you thought....

You can search by full zip code now.
You can't search by partial zip but they say they will have an expanded area zip search soon.
You can't find a vendors location by clicking on the zip in the listing (you could formerly); it now loads a shipping calculator.
You can't put recordings up for auction anymore-and that was 90% of what I searched/watched for and bought! WTF
If you click on ending auctions from the homepage, up pops all for sale and auctions-you have to edit to find just auctions.
You can't see what stuff sold for anymore.
I was going to defend them-things ARE better, but upon inventory of the facts-this just sucks!!

I was hoping to begin selling some turntables there but clearly not now!
Today there are 5 auctions.
Sat: 2; Sun 1; Mon 7(wow); Tu/W/R=0 (oh well); F 1; Sat/Sun 0; Mon 3.
Pretty depressing, especially when you consider that some auctions are for Geoflait's magic clocks and polished stonesl!! Some things never change!
 
Last edited:
I've successfully searched, offered, and bought an item over the last few days. Works great for me.

I find it especially astonishing that this thread has survived without locking.
 
I've successfully searched, offered, and bought an item over the last few days. Works great for me.

I find it especially astonishing that this thread has survived without locking.

Did you ask a question and receive the reply through Audiogon's communication system? Just curious if this has worked for anybody.
 
Did you ask a question and receive the reply through Audiogon's communication system? Just curious if this has worked for anybody.

Yep, I asked a question, got his answer, then offered. He counter offered, I accepted and he issued payment instructions.

Works for me.
 
Did you ask a question and receive the reply through Audiogon's communication system? Just curious if this has worked for anybody.

Yes, it seems to work, although the email notifications don't always (at least they did not for me).

I did successfully buy something, though, so it's not a total loss anymore...but in no way is it better.
 
Yep, I asked a question, got his answer, then offered. He counter offered, I accepted and he issued payment instructions.

Works for me.

Well, that's encouraging. I guess the questions I answered with no reply are the typical Audiogon tire kickers.
 
Back
Top Bottom