• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audiogon fails to impress

maybe we're talking about different things, but i don't think there has been a way to view the prices on sold items for quite some time now. as soon as the item is marked as sold, "sold" replaces the asking price. this has been happening for a year or so, as i recall.
 
maybe we're talking about different things, but i don't think there has been a way to view the prices on sold items for quite some time now. as soon as the item is marked as sold, "sold" replaces the asking price. this has been happening for a year or so, as i recall.

I can't vouch for "for sale" items, but until the format change "current auctions" would move chronologically to the top of the page and when timed out would move down below the active ones, still in chronological format. Clicking on any item would take you to the complete listing including the sale price.
Often I would find an interesting jazz LP that would get stupid expensive, find it and buy it on EBay, and gloat at how much I saved when I checked the AG sold price. If you were a bidder, you could also identify the buyer.
 
I can't vouch for "for sale" items, but until the format change "current auctions" would move chronologically to the top of the page and when timed out would move down below the active ones, still in chronological format. Clicking on any item would take you to the complete listing including the sale price.
Often I would find an interesting jazz LP that would get stupid expensive, find it and buy it on EBay, and gloat at how much I saved when I checked the AG sold price. If you were a bidder, you could also identify the buyer.

ah, auctions. yeah, i don't know anything about those, never bid before on A-gon!
 
maybe we're talking about different things, but i don't think there has been a way to view the prices on sold items for quite some time now. as soon as the item is marked as sold, "sold" replaces the asking price. this has been happening for a year or so, as i recall.

While its true that they made a change about a year ago where the asking price was removed once an item was sold and the word "SOLD" replaced the asking price (which they obviously did to prevent folks from doing their own research and try to force them to pay for their crappy bluebook service), there were a few simple tricks I discovered that allowed me to still see what the asking price was before it sold.

1.) If the item had sold quickly (meaning the ad was 0 or 1 day old and already sold) and the seller didn't charge extra for shipping, i.e., shipping was included, you could go look in the "New Today" listings and find the item and in that list. The asking price was shown in the list of New Today items. Of course if you clicked on the actual listing then it would say "SOLD" where the asking price was. But the asking prices in the New Today or New 2 Days list would remain even when items were sold.

2.) If the seller charged for shipping you could click the shipping calculator link. This was in the upper right-hand corner of all ads where the seller required the buyer to pay for shipping. It was provided so buyers could have an idea of what shipping would cost. The shipping link was still shown even if the item had been sold. Once you clicked on that link the sellers zipcode was automatically entered as well as the weight and "value" of the item being shipped. The amount listed in the "value" field was the asking price. The asking price of ads up to 30 days old, that required the buyer to pay for shipping, but were marked as SOLD, could be determined this way.

3.) If an ad for an item was 2 or more days old but the item included shipping, then it was a little more difficult to determine what the asking price was. Because it no longer appeared in the New Today or New 2 Days list and the shipping link wouldn't work because shipping was included. But even then, I still found a way that worked most of the time. All ads for an item had an Item number shown in the very top of the ad, i.e. Item 454426.

So here's what I did. I simply copied the entire line: "Item 454426" and put that in Google with the quotation marks. Google has a feature called Google Cache which is s a snapshot of the page as it appeared on an earlier date. This would usually pull up about 3 to 5 cached webpages of the item and usually at least one of them was a snapshot of the ad before the item sold. If the item sold immediately or the ad was a couple weeks old sometimes the Google cache method would fail to provide a snapshot of the ad before it sold. But for the most part it worked great.

As you can see there's more than one way to skin a cat! :D
 
Last edited:
New site is still slow and buggy, database needs some optimization.

Noticed a seller's response to questions can show up on the listings (and the questions don't!). Bet the seller didn't intend for that to happen either.

The auctions are even worse. I had a max bid in on an item that wasn't handled right. My max bid was reset by another bidder at a lower price, and I was told to bid again. Ended up not winning it. I am ticked, if I was a seller there I'd be even more ticked.
 
I cant stay logged in for the purposes of the forums. Anyone else have the same issue?

I haven't been able to log in for the forums for over a month:

Starting from the forum index page,I click on the "log in" link,enter my details,I am told that I am logged in.Then I click to go back to the Forum index page.When I get back there,in the upper corner it says "log in".

I'm back at square one again. :sigh: :thumbsdn: :tears:
 
I got a couple of emails today indicating that someone was trying to reset my password...and that person was NOT me...fortunately the emails went to me, so they cannot actually do the reset...anyone else experience this?
 
I got a couple of emails today indicating that someone was trying to reset my password...and that person was NOT me...fortunately the emails went to me, so they cannot actually do the reset...anyone else experience this?

Have you checked that they weren't successful?
 
I oot a message from the support team indicating they were aware of the issues on my account, and were working on it. Would have been reasonably impressed if not for the 9 day lag between sending the mail notifying them of the issue, and getting that response :-)

John
 
I oot a message from the support team indicating they were aware of the issues on my account, and were working on it. Would have been reasonably impressed if not for the 9 day lag between sending the mail notifying them of the issue, and getting that response :-)

John

Imagine how many hundreds of thousands of complaints they are receiving.All as a result of the ill-conceived 'improvement' they delivered.
 
I'm deeply unimpressed with new system at Audiogon. I'm saddened as member that my fees have paid for this "improvement". I really hope that they simply drop this system and return to business as usual. The old system was simple and effective. The new one is over complicated, the search function stinks and returns irrelivent info. I feel like my arms been cut off.
 
I'm deeply unimpressed with new system at Audiogon. I'm saddened as member that my fees have paid for this "improvement". I really hope that they simply drop this system and return to business as usual. The old system was simple and effective. The new one is over complicated, the search function stinks and returns irrelivent info. I feel like my arms been cut off.

I agree now. I have a lot of pieces to go up that I need to sell now as I found my Holy Grail of amps and need to clean house. It is so flawed right now I am bummed and afraid to use it.

And the pictures are SMALLER than the last system. The new setup looks like it was eBay's BETA test back in the mid-1990s. Seriously, I liked the old system, it worked well, I sold stuff to great people who appreciated it, and the pictures of your ad greeted you at the top. This is lame and I need to make some dough...but I guess I will have to wait to April to post.
 
Back
Top Bottom