• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

B & W Pics

This is from a series of Carnival images I'm working on. It's shot with a $30 Holga medium format plastic camera. The film is Tri-X. There is no cropping done. The edge you see it the actual film edge. I enjoy the discipline needed to crop "in the Camera".



snakegirl.jpg
 
Holga photography. For me the last great photographic technological advancement, sort of. I have an old bakelite mf camera with fixed lens with single speed and bulb shutter and 4 crude f/stops that has a somewhat soft lens and though not Holga also can produce some really neat results. I like taking it on outings.
 
Mulester7, is the photo a color to b&w conversion? I really like the short tonal range and high contrast it has. It has impact. At first I thought maybe a red filter but no as the sky is too light. Almost into the infrared range, though but, not quite.

About 20 years ago I did a study of the Everglades and shooting and printing high contrast and short tonal range. I have some of the results hanging in my office and when persons come in, I notice of all the photos on the wall they tend to spend more time looking at them.

Never be afraid to experiment and try things not in the books. If that is your 1st try, you did very well.
 
Seriously I did`nt know if you meant they looked too "staged" and not spur of the moment enough . Thank you for the compliment .

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Old TV Nut...

It is also what Ansel Adams and Edward Weston (and others of the Group f/64) called "pre-visualization", whereby the final image is "seen" in the mind's eye before taking the photo, toward the goal of achieving all together the aesthetic, intellectual, spiritual, and mechanical effects desired.
 
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Old TV Nut...

It is also what Ansel Adams and Edward Weston (and others of the Group f/64) called "pre-visualization", whereby the final image is "seen" in the mind's eye before taking the photo, toward the goal of achieving all together the aesthetic, intellectual, spiritual, and mechanical effects desired.

Ayup. I am constantly asking myself why I didn't see what was in front of me when I took a picture. Perception is the first step.

The neat thing today, though, is that the adjustment techniques that Adams did by deciding beforehand how to develop the negative, requiring copious notes on the process, can now be handled by a reasonable digital exposure followed by adjustment of grayscale in a photo editing program. So, you can revisit your original perception of what the result might look like. Even the filter effects (to darken the sky, for example) can be simulated by using different proportions of the red, green, and blue color channels when converting to black and white.
 
Found another one:

3122050875_2ea6e142b9_z.jpg


All of these images were shot using large format film cameras. The first and last are 4X5 and the middle one is with an 8X10. I don't have the 8X10 camera anymore, it was just too big to carry around. I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot in a long time, but it is something that I have really been wanting to do lately. Just too much work lol.
 
Back
Top Bottom