• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

B & W Pics

It never ceases to amaze me just how great "downsizing" a negative can be. That last photo even if in reduced digital size just has so much detail and information that shouts the emotion of the scene.

Until you can get a digital image to reflect this I'll never be a firm believer in digital as a legitimate replacement for film.
 
It never ceases to amaze me just how great "downsizing" a negative can be. That last photo even if in reduced digital size just has so much detail and information that shouts the emotion of the scene.

Until you can get a digital image to reflect this I'll never be a firm believer in digital as a legitimate replacement for film.

Its called Unsharp mask.
 
What is unsharp mask and what does it refer to? never heard the term so I assume it is is something related to digital photography.
 
What is unsharp mask and what does it refer to? never heard the term so I assume it is is something related to digital photography.

All digital images, regardless of source, i.e. camera or scanner, need some level of sharpening. It is tuned to the display format and resolution of the image and correctly applied makes the world of difference. The standard method of sharpness enhancement is unsharp mask, I belive the technique goes back to the 30s.

Correct shapening, combind witht he downsizing, which puts more detail into a smaller space, is what gives my images the perception of detail. Realy, my d300 produces a better picture than anything I can do on 35mm film, scanned from negative or print.

I just like b&w film, its fun and time consuming.
 
Been lurking around the forum for a few days and then found this thread, thought I'd share a couple:

4292394709_c41b0e7bc2_z.jpg


4273592225_82e1eb0c0d_z.jpg

More, more, more! :D
 
Thanks Edd. I know the film process but not really into digital so nott he digital side and never knew there was a term for the process/effect.
 
Very nice! Last one of the house HDR?

No, just a lot of dodging and burning. I will tell you that I have seen this shot on a couple of monitors and they looked like different shots altogether. For example I am at home on my lap top and it looks HDR to me but at work it looks totally different.
 
No, just a lot of dodging and burning. I will tell you that I have seen this shot on a couple of monitors and they looked like different shots altogether. For example I am at home on my lap top and it looks HDR to me but at work it looks totally different.

Yeah, it looks crazy HDR on my LCD. That's all darkroom work? What contrast filters, paper, film were you using to get the effect? Even with excessive dodging and burning I've not seen one quite like that. Impressive.
 
Yeah, it looks crazy HDR on my LCD. That's all darkroom work? What contrast filters, paper, film were you using to get the effect? Even with excessive dodging and burning I've not seen one quite like that. Impressive.


All digital, single shot. I shoot a D80, I use PS Elements & Capture NX from Nikon. This was shot at 18MM f/9.0 - 1/250 sec
 
Love film ! Old tessar and tmax d76stock.
 

Attachments

  • IkoflexSpartan2_600.jpg
    IkoflexSpartan2_600.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 25
4934432793_ac2f141b21_b.jpg

Outside barrel is the ring of my adapter for my Fuji s-1800. It came in the mail recently and I only have a UV filter on it. I hope to get my polarize filter soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom