• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best album, The Who Tommy or Pink Floyd the Wall?

Best album, The Who Tommy or Pink Floyd the Wall

  • The Wall

    Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Tommy.

    Votes: 23 47.9%

  • Total voters
    48
  • Poll closed .
...As long as we're talking about albums, know that original UK Track LPs of Tommy sound heavenly, especially Pete's acoustic strumming which screams for analog. As for The Wall, original UK LP pressings have tremendous clarity and super-taut bass. Loads of fun when played a bit too loud 'cuz the sound effects are trippy...

You gotta give kudos to The Who, though. They mixed using 8-tracks, PF had 24 (CMIIW).

Interesting both albums share relatively the same concept(s) and even components within the story line. Although the story line isn't exactly new or unique.

Eye candy. Wish the spindle was a little better.

fullsizeoutput_caa.jpeg

Kit Lambert & Track is a whole different story...
 
Interesting both albums share relatively the same concept(s) and even components within the story line. Although the story line isn't exactly new or unique.

Well said which is the reason I compare both albums. Its not about which who album was better. They both have a story and their, high parts, low parts, weird parts, like it or hate it parts. kind of like twins, same but different.

To me.
 
Haven't voted yet...
At first glance I was ready to declare The Wall over and above Tommy without so much as a thought.
But reading through this and realizing it has been MANY years since I have listened to Tommy, makes me question my gut instinct.

I am going to refrain from voting until I give Tommy a fair re-listen, perhaps a back-to-back Tommy-Wall or Wall-Tommy...


Ben
 
That's a great Kinks album. My kids' 25-year-old gal cousin was cranking "Waterloo Sunset" recently and I found that pleasing.

As long as we're talking about albums, know that original UK Track LPs of Tommy sound heavenly, especially Pete's acoustic strumming which screams for analog. As for The Wall, original UK LP pressings have tremendous clarity and super-taut bass. Loads of fun when played a bit too loud 'cuz the sound effects are trippy.

Another '67 psych classic and ABKCO money grab from the Fab Five:

iu
The local news had Victoria playing the other day, as intro/outro music.
I wonder if they 'got it', or if it just fit some theme of the day?

Anyway, I dug it, and now have a Jones to play some Kinks. The '67 long player outta do.
 
I prefer Tommy over The Wall, although Quadrophenia is my choice over both these. Townshend's youthful vocals are a treat. The Overture still gets me 40 years later. I also like the Leeds and Wight live takes. Nothing against The Wall. Great moments on it too. How about the scream on Run Like Hell!!
 
I prefer Tommy over The Wall, although Quadrophenia is my choice over both these. Townshend's youthful vocals are a treat. The Overture still gets me 40 years later. I also like the Leeds and Wight live takes. Nothing against The Wall. Great moments on it too. How about the scream on Run Like Hell!!


I like Overture, gives the woofers a good workout.
 
1967 was a very good year. Something else sort'a "important" was released that same year... now what was that thing called?
The Velvet Underground & Nico?

Also, to answer the OP’s question: Definitely Quadrophenia. I can’t stand a lot of Tommy. And The Wall has been one of my least-listened to Floyd records since about the mid-90s.
 
The Velvet Underground & Nico?

Hey, that one too! Forgot about it. And wasn't The Jimi Henfrix Experience's debut LP also released in '67?

But anyway, I was, in my original post, hinting @ "the thing" that came from the 4-Headed Monster.
 
Hey, that one too! Forgot about it. And wasn't The Jimi Henfrix Experience's debut LP also released in '67?

But anyway, I was, in my original post, hinting @ "the thing" that came from the 4-Headed Monster.
Yes, I believe it was. Another fine choice.

Also, sometimes it’s fun to play dumb. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom