• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best speaker score under $100

Here's my list:

EPI 100v - Free
Optimus 1 - $6.99
Boston Acoustic A60 Series II with a pair of A40's - $12.99
Bose 4.2 Series II plus Bose Acoustimass 5 Series III - $20.00
Dahlquist M-903 - $20.00
JBL L88 Nova's - $20.00
Advent/3 - $20.00
Original Large Advent Bullnose - $75.00
Speakerlab 4's - $75.00
Klipsch SF-3 - $75.00
JBL L80t3 - $100.00

All but the OLA's were bought after I became a member here. It's a lot of speakers for $425.00. :yes:
 
My Brother - Pair of Rogers LS3/5a in walnut, $20 at a garage sale, pair of Altec Coaxials in a pair of beater cabinets, free on a curb.

He always has been the lucky one.
 
12 bucks!

Got a set of RFT bookshelfs at a local local thrift. Been listening for a couple days and I am impressed. Pics in speaker forum, sorry dont know how to move them
 
Klipsch Heresy 4.99
Boston Acoustic A70 free
Boston Acoustic A 100 14.00
Infinity Quantum jr 20.00
Advent OLA Walnut 20.00
JBL L19 40.00
Advent Smaller 40.00
Advent Legacy 20.00
 
Knight marketed Goodmans 15" duplex speakers in 6 cubic foot cabinets, located approximately 2 miles from me for the sum of 50 bones.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00078.JPG
    DSC00078.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 78
If we're not counting the cost to rehabilitate them....
Most $ spent on repairing a set of speakers....that would be another thread. :scratch2:

Vandersteen 2CE - $15 on Craigslist
KEF Corelli - $10 at garage sale
AR 1X - $50 at a thrift
KLH Model 5 - $60 for 2 pairs (sorta. long story)
NHT SuperZero - $35 on Craigslist
Large Advent Utility - $25 at garage sale
Grafyx SP8 - $5 at garage sale (with a Nikko receiver included)
 
All the speakers in this picture were under $100 TOGETHER:

thriftspeaks.jpg


If that makes you jealous, I will add that the other side doubles the cost, so under $200 for everything. Probably the best score so far is the JSE Infinite Slopes.
 
:thmbsp:Nice! AKers are the BEST! Who knew all these deals were out there? I had no idea how many replies this thread would generate! I was only expecting the usual 10-12 posts, lol :thmbsp:
Who do you guys think so far has the best deal?
I'm no expert so I'll rely on all your expertise.
I must say I am quite jealous of most of you!
 
$40 at a yard sale for DCM TW1As in mint condition.
$40 for some a/d/s/ L7e bookshelf speakers also in mint condition, from CL.
$0 for ADS L710 from the trash that only needed a pair of $0.35 fuses.

Both of these KEFs together (C40 and C80) were bought for less than $100.
16366614684_8ac7e94024_b.jpg


I have sold off all of the above, but the number one find that's not going anywhere are my
$0 Morel Duets. (total cost after refurbishment = $75 for crossover components and misc hardware)
Absolutely one of the best speakers I have ever owned or heard.

13820196563_d945cc12a7_b.jpg
 
Last edited:
Pretty much all my speakers, even the retail ones came in under $100 each . Most of the retail (i.e. new) came in > $100/pr.Pretty much all the used were <$100 pr, typically between $10 and $40 a pair. They include ADS, Boston Acoustic, EPI, Genesis, Infinity, Andrew Jones Pioneer, PSB, Realistic, SONY and Yamaha.

I tend to agree with other posters who wonder about the usefulness of threads like this which tend to eliminate these thrift store/CL bargains. It's been quite a while (a year or two) since I found anything like that. If anything, many vintage speakers are overpriced IMO. I'd love to hear a Dynaco A25, but they can't be found locally for < $200, about the original retail price. This is a speaker that sold in the millions and had indestructible surrounds so there should be a lot around. I'm sure they're good speakers, but not worth that kind of money for me.

I will mention some freebees, i.e. curbside finds. One was a pair of Boston Acoustic A60 series 2 which needed refoaming. The other was a pair of Eckman 505 speakers also need refoaming, a ported 3 way with 10 inch woofers. It was essentially a private label Becker speaker. It which sounded like a thump thump disco special until I plugged the ports and turned the midrange and tweeter controls all the way up which made it sound decent with a number of other good speakers.
 
...and I wonder why I have trouble selling speakers on craigslist.

Everyone out there has a basement filled with the damn things they got for $5!!
 
ADS L-520 for $35.00 needed two fuses.
EPI 100M for $25.00 needing refoam.
 
Pioneer CS-99As - $15. Came with a Soundesign compact all in one.

JBL L96s - $100. Needed refoaming.

JBL L112s - $30. Needed refoaming and had one broken grill, but came with Yamaha C-70, M70, and T-70.

Optimus LX-10s - $80. Honestly weren't that great, but were top of their line very expensive for Radio Shack.

Pioneer HPM 100s - $100.

Pioneer S-910s - $5. Needed refoaming.
 
Clearfield Continentals (early von Schweikert) - Hard to say exactly because I got the speakers, VAC Pre, Counterpoint Amp, $2K worth of Synergistic Cables and an Audio Control 10 Equalizer all for $300.

I guess that puts the speakers at about $75

IMG_3579.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
JBL 4311b.... Free (from a guy at work)
Altec Boleros.... $25 (from a young couple who liked thier carpeted speakers better :sigh:)
Realistic Mach Ones.... $25 (First model)
Advent OLA.... Free (mint)
Advent OLA.... Free (Utility that needed a refoam)
Advent OLA.... $20 (Mint Bullnose that had just been refoamed)
Jennings Contrara.... Free (from a guy at work)
Wharfdale Dovedale 3's.... $25 (my wife brought them home from a thrift store :thmbsp:)
 
Back
Top Bottom