• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Best turntable mats.

I replaced the rubber mat on my new turntable with a acrylic mat. Is acrylic better than rubber? Which is the best type of mat to use?
I first tried cork and there wasn't much sonic difference but definitely less static. But for me acrylic is the way to go. Noticeably tighter bass and better overall detail. Just my 02
 
I just got a leather platter mat. I find it makes the sound cleaner and clearer. Could this be a placebo effect or is the mat truly enhancing the sound?
In my case it was real and did transfer to the sound coming out of the speakers. I had people over to listen to my lamb skin vs cow bs graphite and all had a particular sound. In my current reference table the platter is acrylic no mat needed and sounds exceptional. I did try my graphite mat on it and the sound collapsed.
 
I probably already posted earlier in the thread but am too lazy to check, so I'll say felt has been the way to go for me. For static in the winter, a couple small pieces of two sided tape to keep it from lifting when changing records. Power goes on when I start listening and stays on until I'm done later on. I've tried them all and felt is my answer.
 
I probably already posted earlier in the thread but am too lazy to check, so I'll say felt has been the way to go for me. For static in the winter, a couple small pieces of two sided tape to keep it from lifting when changing records. Power goes on when I start listening and stays on until I'm done later on. I've tried them all and felt is my answer.
I can't say I've tried them all, but in my systems a felt mat has been my preference. Art Dudley's review of the original VPI Scout mentioned his preferring to not use the supplied clamp and to put a thin felt mat on the bare acrylic platter. For my Well Tempered Record Player, which also came with a matless acrylic platter and a screw-on clamp, I preferred the sound and operational simplicity of using my Linn felt mat on it and forgoing the clamp. Ken Lyon of Greater Ranges (who made isolation products such as better quality replacement shelves for audio stands) once wrote, "You'd be shocked as to how much of the Linn's expressive character is related to the mat. Put it on a Rega, Oracle, Michell, etc. etc. and that table will almost always take on more than a hint of a Linn-like presentation."
 
1mm Cork / 1mm Pigskin on platter
1mm Cork / 1mm foam on base of Keith Monks SRW50 Stabiliser

Static free, easily cleaned, effective DIY, zero cost damping...

Sounds great to me! :)

1727089460900.jpeg
 
Didn't know those were a thing. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Maybe one of his Padawans here...
Mine came as a sheet to reupholster some chairs from a leather workshop in Newcastle upon Tyne

 
Back
Top Bottom