Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html
I was curious. What in the opinion of this forum are the best vintage floor speakers for between $150 and $300 dollars? I am looking to play my Technics SL-D2 through them.
What type of amp or receiver will you be driving them with? A lot will depend on how much power you have, room size/acoustics and what type of music you listen to. It will also be dependent of what is available in your area and how strong you market is. A few that come to mind in no particular order:
Advent Heritage
Boston Acoustics 150 or 200
DCM Time Windows
EPI 200 or 201
Genesis Physics II
Polk Monitor 7 or 10
There will be a wide difference of opinion of what is the "best". These are ones I have owned, enjoyed and should be available in your price range.
There are a lot of variables to consider when looking for speakers. Are they going to need to fill a big room or are they more for background music? Do you prefer "in your face" bass or something more refined?
What type of amp or receiver will you be driving them with? A lot will depend on how much power you have, room size/acoustics and what type of music you listen to. It will also be dependent of what is available in your area and how strong you market is.
Do you consider those typically 2-foot tall x 1 ft x 1 ft large bookshelf units a floor speaker? I don't and like some of the speakers in colohiker's list. Add the Time Frames, low priced Dahlquist DQ-10s and others. That tt will play through any speakers, amplifier is the key, need a big one for the DQ-10s or at least quality.
The Radio Shack Nova 8b's (3 way) and cousin 7B's (2 way) are very well regarded and in my book have every bit the build quality of their competitor s of the day. Don't overlook them. They are sealed boxes with tight accurate bass down to the 30hz area.
To address Blue Shadow question about 2'x1'x1' basic size speakers floor standers?( KLH fives are a little larger than that. ) IMO, If the choice of clasificaton is bookshelf or floor stander, would call them floor standers. Never seen a shelf big enough for one. Granted they should have an angled base stand at minimum.
I hope the KLH five recommendations are accurate. I'm rebuilding a pair.
Welcome to AK site.
I'll also recommend KLH Fives, Twenty Threes. Also look at Drsign Acoustics PS-10's, and DCM Time Windows. All of these are fantastic sounding speakers.
Marantz DS 920. I picked up for 30 bucks. I had to spend 90 bucks for Dayton 12" woofers and 20 bucks for the woofer rings. Head to head with recapped KLH Model 5's the Marantz smoked the 5's. Much clearer, louder, better bass. Cabinet looks cooler too. I wish I had Glenn's woodworking skills. That cabinet would look unbelievable refinished.