• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Better cartridge - Audio Technica LS400 or Dual DMS 251S?

mhjmhjones

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm looking to upgrade the cartridge on my Dual 1226. Currently has a Shure M70EJ.

Which is the better cartridge?

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I would suggest the AT LS400. Good specs, healthy output voltage, light tracking, 3 x 7 nude "biRadial" stylus = good sounds without undo record wear, won't need gonzo amp to push sound.

Just my $0.02...
at_ls_series_carts.png
 
I would suggest the AT LS400. Good specs, healthy output voltage, light tracking, 3 x 7 nude "biRadial" stylus = good sounds without undo record wear, won't need gonzo amp to push sound.

Just my $0.02...
View attachment 888539

Thanks!!
I have found that it's not easy to find an array of replacement styli for these older carts. I found these, but I can't tell if they are any good or not:
http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATSLS400.html
http://www.lptunes.com/Stylus-for-Audio-Technica-LS-400-LS400-cartridge-p/atsls400.htm
https://www.turntableneedles.com/AT...ica-AT12XE-etc--our-needle-201-DEX_p_918.html
http://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=99


I installed the DMS 251S last night (the AT needs a stylus) and it sounded pretty good! I think better than the Shure M70EJ - but it's kind of hard to tell sometimes, depending on the quality of the vinyl you are using to demo. My first cartridge replacement was successful!
 
The Dual is AT's current entry level cartridge. The ATLS400 is part of an older lineup that was better quality, IMO. You can still get decent needles for it, I believe.
 
I spent a lot of time with the ls400, and I don't believe the spec sheet. It's a nice cartridge, but 28kHz, uh I don't think so.
Go for one of the AT 440s!
 
For what it's worth, everyone was right - the LS400 is the better cart! I found one of these Shure Audio Obstacle Course records: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Audio-Obstacle-Course-Era-III-The-Shure-Trackability-Test-Record/release/1204527 and the LS400 outperformed the Dual.

The record I got for a buck at a Goodwill and it was pretty cool - it had a series of tests: high frequency, sibilance and bass at various output (volume?) levels in the grooves. The Dual started to fail at higher levels on the sibilance and bass tests.
 
Back
Top Bottom