• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose 501 Opinions

QuickStrong

New Member
Hey I am looking for opinions on Bose 501 speakers. I have a chance to buy a set in really good shape for $50 and I would like to hear what others have to say about them good or bad. Thanks :thmbsp:
 
Register to hide this ad
Hrmm.... I don't know if I remember ever hearing the 501s. The grandparents-in-law had a pair of 601s that did a pretty amazing job of filling a large room with perfectly acceptable sound. The 501s look like a super big brother to the 301s.

No comment on the sound but with Bose speakers of that vintage, I'd definitely look carefully at the surrounds and even then, I'd assume they'd go to hell after having power applied to them for a couple days or weeks. A lot of time, they will look perfect, but perhaps they've been sitting, unused for 15 years. When they start moving, they might quite literally fall apart.

Not trying to scare you away and I'm not a Bose hater and truthfully, I might be slightly intrigued if I had a den type setting where I wanted a large stereo image over fidelity and detail, but I'd absolutely go into the purchase assuming I'd have to re-surround them within a month.
 
501,s

For $50 i dont think you can go wrong. Test em out and make sure everythings working and the surounds are in good shape. Listened to a pair many years ago and to me they sounded quite nice. Just remember, the placement is important. I have a pair of 601,s firt series and i love them.:thmbsp:
 
I really like mine too. They are the Series II, but I think the only difference is cosmetic on the covers. They probably do need the woofer surrounds replaced. Easy job but getting the covers off of the Series II is a major beyotch. Not sure about the IIIs
 
I have the first series, they are hooked on a Tandberg TR 2080, very fine. I replaced some years ago the woofers by high qualitiy substitutes.
 
I had series IV many years ago. I do not think you could go wrong for 50 bucks. Probably ready for a recap.
 
They never took off for Bose but for $50 you can do a lot worse. It certainly will beat most of what is out there now at big box retailers.
 
Meh, don't expect much.

I had a couple sets of series II. Had to refoam both sets. REAL pain to get the covers off and back on (STAPLES!).

They seemed best at 50wpc. Smaller didn't do it and I didn't try bigger at that time.

My issue with BOSE is that they don't live up to their hype.
They made some good stuff, but not everything with the name is great.

FWIW, speakers like the Advent OLAs will kick the 501 II clear out the door.
 
I have 2 sets of 501's, the original series and series III's. Room placement is critical with these speakers since one set of tweeters fire back toward the wall. You cant really put anything in between them. For 50 bucks I would go for it.
 
I have 2 sets of 501's, the original series and series III's. Room placement is critical with these speakers since one set of tweeters fire back toward the wall. You cant really put anything in between them. For 50 bucks I would go for it.

Thanks for the info. I will be picking them up tomorrow. I will post pics as soon as I get them home.:thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom