• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose 601 "owner" opinions please

Well, I think I'm going to have to put my restored 601 ii up for sale here now. Just can't find a good place in the house and we need some bucks for family stuff. It certainly was a fun ride fixing them and learning so much!
 
You did a great job on them, I'm sure if you post them in Bartertown, you'll get a bite. Worth the 25 bucks to subscribe.
 
Well, I think I'm going to have to put my restored 601 ii up for sale here now. Just can't find a good place in the house and we need some bucks for family stuff. It certainly was a fun ride fixing them and learning so much!
Had to go back and review your posts. That WAS an amazing adventure. Sorry to hear you can't keep them, but DO know the feeling of family priorities. At least you have your priorities in order, so kudos.
 
Painful I passed on these beat up 501s at goodwill for $20 tonight.
d708983f1979c0ffd8b1dba7417e1ec5.jpg
 
Months ago, I passed on beat up 501's at the Goodwill in Petaluma, California. I'm not a DIY, and don't want anything that's beat up. They looked like the woofers and foam were new.
 
Painful I passed on these beat up 501s at goodwill for $20 tonight.
d708983f1979c0ffd8b1dba7417e1ec5.jpg
Flip side? If Original or Series II, cheap and easy to fix and worth more than you'll have invested. But, only if original woofers. Tweeters turn up frequently, but correct woofers not so. I'm still searching, but in the mean time will use RS 40-1014 drivers in their place.
 
I use opera mini on my cell. do most of you prefer tapatalk over your cell's browser? any security issues I should be concerned with?
 
Lol so I went back and got the 501. Yeah they are beat and let's just say a cat must've Peed on the grill, it's stained. I'm going to clean up and see what the woofers are in. These are series ii.. Copa I may have some woofers for you lol
 
Lol so I went back and got the 501. Yeah they are beat and let's just say a cat must've Peed on the grill, it's stained. I'm going to clean up and see what the woofers are in. These are series ii.. Copa I may have some woofers for you lol

We need a 'Like' button here!
 
So I ended up selling the 601's today.. it was sad. I gave most of the money to my family to help them out, but used $25 to buy these poor beat up 501 Series II. They have peeled veneer, chipped veneer, cat-peed on grills. In short, quite the challenge. I accept this challenge. The tweets are in perfect shape, and the drivers look good, just need a refoam. So here's what I think I'm going to need to tackle:

1. Refoam woofers - $15 kit on ebay.
2. Sand down pee damaged particle board, treat with super thin epoxy to strengthen (have on hand), hit with a few coats of oil based primer to seal out odor (have on hand).
3. Wood putty/filler on damaged/chipped sections - $5
4. Walnut stain - Have on hand.
5. Re-attach peeling veneer.
6. Treat grill guides with primer to lock out smell (option 2 is to make new ones, but I'd rather not).
7. New grill fabric. I need a source, but I'm assuming this is gonna be the spendy part, probalby $30.


I'm guessing that my total outlay is going to be $75 - $100. Not sure if they'll be worth that much, but it should be quite a challenge. Take a look at the pics, poor things. Game on!
 

Attachments

  • P8301445.jpg
    P8301445.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 29
  • P8301446.jpg
    P8301446.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 26
  • P8301448.jpg
    P8301448.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 24
  • P8301449.jpg
    P8301449.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 30
  • P8301450.jpg
    P8301450.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 39
We need a momentum injection here ...I'm guilty of blowing my horn throughout this thread. I found a cold solder joint on one of the speaker jacks on my sx3800. Finally got around to the repair I think we all know this receiver's audio character. Bliss is yet again unveiled. I hope come January I can experiment with a franken-601. Prob just employ a 10" for the lower cabinet. What to do with its separate chamber, I'm still twirling that thought around.
 
Last edited:
So I ended up selling the 601's today.. it was sad. I gave most of the money to my family to help them out, but used $25 to buy these poor beat up 501 Series II. They have peeled veneer, chipped veneer, cat-peed on grills. In short, quite the challenge. I accept this challenge. The tweets are in perfect shape, and the drivers look good, just need a refoam. So here's what I think I'm going to need to tackle:

1. Refoam woofers - $15 kit on ebay.
2. Sand down pee damaged particle board, treat with super thin epoxy to strengthen (have on hand), hit with a few coats of oil based primer to seal out odor (have on hand).
3. Wood putty/filler on damaged/chipped sections - $5
4. Walnut stain - Have on hand.
5. Re-attach peeling veneer.
6. Treat grill guides with primer to lock out smell (option 2 is to make new ones, but I'd rather not).
7. New grill fabric. I need a source, but I'm assuming this is gonna be the spendy part, probalby $30.


I'm guessing that my total outlay is going to be $75 - $100. Not sure if they'll be worth that much, but it should be quite a challenge. Take a look at the pics, poor things. Game on!

You should pm Ak'er drbiggles. He's an expert on fixing pressboard damage.

We need a momentum injection here ...I'm guilty of blowing my horn throughout this thread. I found a cold solder joint on one of the speaker jacks on my sx3800. Finally got around to the repair I think we all know this receiver's audio character. Bliss is yet again unveiled. I hope come January I can experiment with a franken-601. Prob just employ a 10" for the lower cabinet. What to do with its separate chamber, I'm still twirling that thought around.

I sure wish the SX3800 I found in a ditch was running. The pre worked when I found it, but it went out eventually as well. Great amp.
 
Those 501 grills are a PITA to take off with all the staples they use. I am redoing the cloth on mine also, a friend here sent me some nice black grill cloth, I like it better then the tweed type look. The grill panels are fragile, I was thinking of just making totally new ones with thin plywood or luan. They will be stronger and using velcro mounts, easier to remove when the need arises
 
Those 501 grills are a PITA to take off with all the staples they use. I am redoing the cloth on mine also, a friend here sent me some nice black grill cloth, I like it better then the tweed type look. The grill panels are fragile, I was thinking of just making totally new ones with thin plywood or luan. They will be stronger and using velcro mounts, easier to remove when the need arises
You'll want to read my thread, after I enter it. I need to transfer images to a thumb drive so I can upload them. I'm thinking of creating templates to sell since so many are beyond repair, reuse, or simply missing entirely.
 
301 II woofers arrived today. Look good and tested good. Reading 5.5 DCR. Haven't checked the other (original) woofers yet. Ordered surrounds today and hope to dive into these speakers next.

I soaked one of the grills in the tub, sprayed with Simple Green. Went back a couple hours later and rinsed and quite a bit of dirt came out, very visible. However, they didn't visually look a whole lot better. Side by side with the other most of the difference is in the top.

Anyway, look forward to getting started on these.
 
OK...how should I approach this....chewing gum perhaps?
 

Attachments

  • dented cone.jpeg
    dented cone.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 22
tried shop vac, tried shop vac with a funnel that had closer circumference... any glue that would stick using a nail head probably wouldn't pull off w/o damage to cone. tried shipping tape... not enough sticking force. dried chewing gum was my last idea. picked up a very nice pair of 301 tweets, with one cap dented. should I not worry, send it to Bose, scrap it. I don't know if I could cut the cap away cleanly from the cone. Copa..!!
 
Back
Top Bottom