• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Brett A's Playlist.

Roxy Music - Country Life. (CD)

attachment.php

works to challenge any SLAA member


Nick Drake - Pink Moon (cd)
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Town Siren.jpg
    Town Siren.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Farm and Country Life.jpg
    Farm and Country Life.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Pink Moon cover.jpg
    Pink Moon cover.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 234
  • Velvets Camp.jpg
    Velvets Camp.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 2
Kanye West - College Dropout I don't care what BS he and the "entertainment media" make together, this is a truly artful album.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Kanya Pond.jpg
    Kanya Pond.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Lumineers down.jpg
    Lumineers down.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Meditations LP kitchen.jpg
    Meditations LP kitchen.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 2
  • You Are Free Power.jpg
    You Are Free Power.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2
I found I was letting this go starting back a few weeks ago (back around the Peter Blegvad/Cocorosie post above). But until that point, I had maintained a very comprehensive diary.

My cell phone **** the bed a few days ago, so I'm w/o an easy camera. Also, I'm staring to listen to more hard drive-based music :yikes: which is hard to photograph especially if the player is also the camera.

So from here, I'm going to let it go. I might post every once-in-a-while, but there will be no assumption of thoroughness.

I might even go back a extract some stats from the the 13 months I gathered here.

It's been real interesting, And it feels strange to listen to music again w/o concern for reporting on it.

Rock on! (or out if that's more your kind of thing)

127fs1866968.gif
 
Well ...

This has been very interesting, Brett; took me about a week to get through it.

You have - to me at least - fairly eclectic tastes in music. I tend to stick to rock for the most part - maybe I need to get out more. :D

I've never heard of probably about 1/3 of these people, if not more. I may check out The Mekons - who I have been aware of for years - and a friend has been urging me to give Modest Mouse a try - this I will be doing soon.

Thanks for doing it! :thmbsp:
 
I've never heard of probably about 1/3 of these people, if not more. I may check out The Mekons - who I have been aware of for years - and a friend has been urging me to give Modest Mouse a try - this I will be doing soon.

Thanks for doing it! :thmbsp:
You're most welcome. I think most anyone can do fine with two Modest Mouse titles: Moon and Antarctica and/or Lonesome Crowded West.

And it took me a several go-throughs before I "got" the Mekons. Then I've found that not everything they did excites me. I tend to like their later stuff.
 
Okay. I think I'll fire this thing back up. (You'll see this is post 506. There's over a year of this in those first 500+ posts)
From here on, I won't set a standard for posting EVERYTHING like I did in the first round. This actually would be harder to do know that I have a car w/ an on-board HD and a thumb drive. Nothing to take pictures of there.

Here goes:

Fela Kuti - Zombie

attachment.php


Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
attachment.php


Fela Kuti - Upside Down/Go Slow
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Fela windowsill.jpg
    Fela windowsill.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Steely Dan Thrill.jpg
    Steely Dan Thrill.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Fela woodpile.jpg
    Fela woodpile.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 28
  • Fela Porch Zombie.jpg
    Fela Porch Zombie.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Came to me as a ghost.jpg
    Came to me as a ghost.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Leonard Cohen - New Skin for the Old Ceremony
attachment.php




Jason Molina/Songs:Ohia -Mi Sei Apparso Come Un Fantasma (You Came to Me as a Ghost)
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Amazing Jimmy Trio.jpg
    Amazing Jimmy Trio.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Beth Orton dry.jpg
    Beth Orton dry.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 28
  • BOC Erectus.jpg
    BOC Erectus.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Lenny Skin.jpg
    Lenny Skin.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Mike Heron LP.jpg
    Mike Heron LP.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I've been really digging through my Fela Kuti collection lately after several years of letting it languish.

Open and Close
attachment.php


Overtake don Overtake Overtake/Confusion Break Bones (this is a CDR I burned back in the late 90's from a Shanchi Cassette)
attachment.php


Music is the Weapon of the Future Vol 2.
attachment.php



Original Sufferhead/Authority Stealing
This is actually a Capitol LP. It sounds very rich and clear at the same time.
attachment.php


Buy America
attachment.php


Fela Ransome Kuti - Vols. 1 & 2
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Fela Buy America.jpg
    Fela Buy America.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Fela LP1.jpg
    Fela LP1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 27
  • Fela MITWOTF2.jpg
    Fela MITWOTF2.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 27
  • Fela ODOOCBB.jpg
    Fela ODOOCBB.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 27
  • Fela Open and Close.jpg
    Fela Open and Close.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Fela Ransome 1&2.jpg
    Fela Ransome 1&2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 27

Fela Kuti - Underground System / Pansa Pansa

attachment.php


Blue Oyster Cult - Cultosaurus Erectus. A throwback to jr. high.
attachment.php


Jimmy Smith Trio - Live at the Village Gate. (why it's a four piece trio, I don't understand)
attachment.php


Beth Orton - Trailer Park

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Bud Powell Trio with Coleman Hawkins in Germany
attachment.php


a Stan Getz comp
attachment.php


Dizzy - The Newport Years Vol 5

attachment.php


Mike Heron - Smiling Men With Bad Reputations (I tried it, didn't like it; back into the collection for another try in years to come)
attachment.php


16,732
 

Attachments

  • Hawk and bud.jpg
    Hawk and bud.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Great Getz.jpg
    Great Getz.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 29
  • Dizzy 5.jpg
    Dizzy 5.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Trout Mask Replica
attachment.php


Dr John Destitvely Bonaroo
attachment.php


Court and Spark
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Are you for real.jpg
    Are you for real.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Biggie Again.jpg
    Biggie Again.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Don and the Trout Mask.jpg
    Don and the Trout Mask.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Fela Authority LP.jpg
    Fela Authority LP.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Joni Court and SPark.jpg
    Joni Court and SPark.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Lenny Lamp.jpg
    Lenny Lamp.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 103
Fela Kuti - Authority Stealing

attachment.php


Notorious B.I.G - Born Again
attachment.php


Wes Montgomery Trio The Dynamic New Sound
attachment.php


SOngs of Leonard Cohen

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Wes Montgromry Trio.jpg
    Wes Montgromry Trio.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Three from Sunday after Driving.jpg
    Three from Sunday after Driving.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Teddy Wilson TL set.jpg
    Teddy Wilson TL set.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 102
  • McCoy Tyner LP.jpg
    McCoy Tyner LP.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Marianne DVDCD.jpg
    Marianne DVDCD.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Zoot O Kut.jpg
    Zoot O Kut.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 103
Zoot Sims - Choice (on the Rek-O-Kut)
attachment.php


McCoy Tyner - Together (lp)
attachment.php


Teddy Wilson - Time/Life collection (LP one)
attachment.php


Marianne Faithfull - Live in Hollywood
(CD from the CD/DVD set of that name)
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Lenny and HHDL.jpg
    Lenny and HHDL.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 99
  • 11 Willow Weep.jpg
    11 Willow Weep.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 11 Miles Quiet Night.jpg
    11 Miles Quiet Night.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Fela Kuti - Kalakuta Show
Peter Blegvad -Downtime

Grateful Dead- Boston Garden April 2nd, 1973 (legally downloaded lossless soundboard from back when they were all up on Archive dot org.)
attachment.php
 
Miles Davis - Quiet Nights (and with this, I think I'm finally beginning to "get" the whole Gil Evans thing)
attachment.php


Wes Montgomery - Willow Weep for Me. (lp)
attachment.php


Leonard Cohen - Ten New Songs
attachment.php
 
Dominic Behan - Cosmopolitan Man (lp)
attachment.php


Bob Weir - Ace (lp) (this is actually a Grateful Dead album-the only difference is that Dave Torbert plays bass on one track instead of Phil)
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Dom Behan lp.jpg
    Dom Behan lp.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 96
  • Ace Bob.jpg
    Ace Bob.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 96
"The Great New" Gene Krupa Quartet (lp)
attachment.php


Joanne Brackeen - Fi-Fi Goes To Heaven(lp)
Branford Marsalis, alto sax
Terence Blanchard, trumpet
Joanne Brackeen, piano
Cecil McBee, bass
Al Foster, drums.
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Cliff Brown.jpg
    Cliff Brown.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 96
  • YukJazz.jpg
    YukJazz.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Gene Orchid.jpg
    Gene Orchid.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Abby Lincoln LP.jpg
    Abby Lincoln LP.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 94
Clifford Brown - Jazz Immortal collection (lp)
Mono recordings that have been doctored to simulate stereo are usually the Kryptonite of my LP collection. But every once in a while I come across one like this that sounds really good. I don't know how they did it, but the trumpet is placed toward the right and the piano toward the left with the drums and bass center rear. It's not totally clear like a stereo master, but it's surprisingly good.
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • When lost head.jpg
    When lost head.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
About two years ago, I was given two record collections (unrelated to each other). One is about 700 titles; everything from Pink Floyd to Gentle Giant to Thelonious Monk to The Tubes. This was the personal collection of a friend at work who simply didn't want to lug them around anymore.

The other collection came to me from a friend/acquaintance whose very old and good friend has just passed away in his mid-seventies. This collection was left to him, but with the blessing of the family, it was passed over to me. This is about 500 jazz LPs seemingly purchased as they came out in the early 60's into the early 80's.

So I'm about 1,500 records ahead of myself. Most of these current postings are LPs I'm finally getting to pulling out, cleaning up and spinning.

Here's one of the best and most recent gems so far:

Abbey Lincoln - Straight Ahead (lp)
Abbey Lincoln — vocals
Booker Little — trumpet
Julian Priester — trombone
Eric Dolphy — alto saxophone, bass clarinet, flute, piccolo
Walter Benton, Coleman Hawkins — tenor saxophone
Mal Waldron — piano
Art Davis — bass
Max Roach — drums
Roger Sanders, Robert Whitley — congas​

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Cliffjo.jpg
    Cliffjo.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 2
  • ColeClark.jpg
    ColeClark.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 2
  • getzking.jpg
    getzking.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Huma.jpg
    Huma.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom