• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Brian's AU-555 restoration

I spent a little time in that rabbit hole last night and from what I could tell looking at the schematic, it looked like a snubber and not a safety cap. But yes please, if anyone knows this for sure I would appreciate knowing.

Edit: Did more reading and looks like this should be a safety rated cap. Adding one to order #2. I knew there would be a second order.

View attachment 2849588
The cap is not placed across the line, so it need not be a safety-rated one. If it shorts, the device simply does not shut off--no fire hazard there. Having a safety related one certainly would do no harm, though. The cap in that position suppresses arcing across the switch contacts, especially when the switch opens.
 
Last edited:
Well, the good news is I got my new KSC2383's and KSA1013's, the bad news is they didn't fix the oscillation I'm getting on the right channel. I'll keep looking for where that's coming from. The old transistors were ok I guess but I did find one of the PNP's had quite a bit lower hFE than the other. One of the NPN's was also lower than the rest. So they might be showing some signs of aging and I left the new ones in.

I was able to fix one other problem but it wasn't the little transistors that fixed it. The noise on the left channel was still there so there wasn't much left to change except the output transistors. I did some looking for good substitutes and the suggestions I could find were NLA. Looking at datasheets, I found 2N3773G's looked like they might work so I ordered some of those. They seem to work ok so far and the noise I had on the left channel looks like it's gone so at least one thing down.
 
Last edited:
Here's what I'm seeing if anyone has any ideas. On TR802, the base and emitter look clean all the way to full volume but on the collector, I think I'm seeing where that oscillation is starting. It only starts when turned up to about 10V RMS and it's a bit intermittent (don't see it on every sine wave) until I turn it up a little higher and then it's there all the time. I tried swapping the KSC1815 I had in there but it didn't make a difference. Left channel is nice and clean all the way to clipping at around 14V RMS.
 
Last edited:
I poked around with the scope this morning and just can't find anywhere that anything looks different on the two channels except the oscillation at higher power levels. I haven't replaced all the resistors in the feedback loops since the rest looked ok in circuit but maybe one of them is breaking down at higher voltages/currents? Does that sound logical? I used the scope to look for weirdness with the oscillation happening and didn't see anything odd except the oscillation happening everywhere beyond the collector of TR802. I may just order replacements for every resistor in there (there aren't that many old ones left), and maybe some new capacitors too. Thinking maybe I melted one of the film caps a little or something?

Since it looks good at normal listening levels I decided to hook the speakers back up and give it a listen for a while. It sounds amazing. I think new transistors did it some good in that respect. The difference seems very noticeable. The hiss at full volume is reduced too. Still just a bit of it there but way better.
 
Last edited:
Maybe this is how this early design is? I haven’t done these scope checks on the ones I’ve had throughout the years but maybe if someone has a 555 to compare to it would be an interesting comparison
 
Maybe this is how this early design is? I haven’t done these scope checks on the ones I’ve had throughout the years but maybe if someone has a 555 to compare to it would be an interesting comparison
The left channel behaves perfectly so it really seems to me that there's something off in the right channel. Since I'm a rank amateur at this, i've been doing a lot of reading about how amplifiers work to try to narrow down where the problem could be. This circuit is pretty complicated though, for me at least. I think I need to focus on feedback resistors and capacitors. I'm just not sure I'll ever find a bad one with an ohmmeter or LCR meter since it only seems to act up when I turn up the volume.
 
This may not help and be completely irrelevant, and I'm a novice just trying to learn, but last year I had a similar issue on a Marantz and got help here and ended up increasing the values of the "VAS" capacitors. That solved the oscillation I was experiencing after the new parts were installed.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/2215b-troubleshooting-help-please.998793/page-2

This is the thread that had the answer: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...p-weird-distortion-issue.331538/#post-5965168

Since you're experimenting that might be something easy to try! If that's even applicable in the AU-555. Or, if you have the old transistors you could start swapping them back in.
 
This may not help and be completely irrelevant, and I'm a novice just trying to learn, but last year I had a similar issue on a Marantz and got help here and ended up increasing the values of the "VAS" capacitors. That solved the oscillation I was experiencing after the new parts were installed.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/2215b-troubleshooting-help-please.998793/page-2

This is the thread that had the answer: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...p-weird-distortion-issue.331538/#post-5965168

Since you're experimenting that might be something easy to try! If that's even applicable in the AU-555. Or, if you have the old transistors you could start swapping them back in.
Thanks for that. I'm thinking mine is something along the same lines. Since my left channel works well, my working theory is I've either damaged a capacitor in a feedback loop or I've got a bad resistor still in the right channel doing something similar to what was happening on yours. Mine looks more like a glitch in the sine wave rather than a uniform distortion. I don't know if that should make me lean toward bad resistor or not. I have found some out of tolerance resistors in it already though so I think I'm just going to replace them all and see.
 
I hope that works for you @Brian1970 , let us know!
I'm curious if you will try any different values or stick with 100 pF.

View attachment 2885005
I replaced the mica cap with a film one already so if I didn't melt it putting it in, I may have to try something a little bigger. I'll pop C816 out and test it. i don't think I have an extra film cap. Should have ordered extras. But I think the original silver micas seemed ok on the tester so I might be able to put one of them in just to see if it changes anything.
 
The AU-555 uses a crowbar protection circuit, maybe it is misbehaving since the issues you are having occurs at high output levels. The general consensus is to remove this circuit since it is unreliable.
 
The AU-555 uses a crowbar protection circuit, maybe it is misbehaving since the issues you are having occurs at high output levels. The general consensus is to remove this circuit since it is unreliable.
I just looked at the schematic for the AU-555 and can't see the crowbar circuitry, maybe you are thinking of the AU-666 which does have crowbar protection?

Academic really, I am also an advocate of removing it wherever it is found. ;)
 
The AU-555 uses a crowbar protection circuit, maybe it is misbehaving since the issues you are having occurs at high output levels. The general consensus is to remove this circuit since it is unreliable.
I can certainly try it. If I understand the schematic right, it looks like I can just remove the protection circuit components completely. No need to make any connections where the protection circuit was. Is that right?
 
Just remove the four diodes D901-D904.
I tried pulling the protection circuit diodes and got no change in the oscillation. Also tried putting the original C816 mica cap back and got no change. Just because I had one, I temporarily tacked a 1000 pF cap to the underside in parallel with C816 and there was a slight reduction in the severity of the oscillation but it was still there. I took that temporary cap back out since it didn't seem like that path was going anywhere.

Next thing I tried made a noticeable improvement but didn't quite eliminate the oscillation. I undid the baxandall mod and put the original 33 ohm resistor back in place. Now the oscillation doesn't start until almost full power (13V RMS vs 10V RMS) and it looks less severe too. It's not quite gone but a clue at least. I feel like I've found the track but not too sure where to go from here. Seems to me that I've probably still got a bad part in there and the only old parts left are resistors.
 
Back
Top Bottom