• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Buzz's Acro UL-II Monoblock Project

I'm thinking out loud and also looking for some opinions . . .

I've got most of the holes cut, except for the ones for the large caps. I'm ready to take the tops to a trophy shop and see if they can nicely label the 3 pots and the tube positions, before I anchor them to the chassis frame.

The Hammond power transformer is very much the "basic" model, i.e. doesn't have a fixed bias tap, and just enough current on the single 5.0 & 6.3 volt taps to run the KT88s at reduced power (I've got plenty of everything to drive EL34s or KT77s instead).

The original Acro used a 120V tap for the bias, so I found a small isolation transformer that will do.

In addition to the 10H choke, I've also ordered 30H & 60H chokes for "downstream" filtering. I haven't decided if I'm going to use both of them -- it may depend upon space.

I want the amp to be quiet, and I might use a rare 12AX7 variant (the brand new Blackburn Mullard E813CCs that were recently made, but only briefly before the British factory went dark again for good). John Broskie sells a nice 6.3 VDC regulator that uses 5.0VAC, and I just happen to have a Stancor 3A model that would be close to perfect. I need 0.9A total for a 6CG7 driver and the 12AX7 input type tubes. The output tubes will use AC filament voltage.

So already I'm contemplating a lot of iron, and with it, various magnetic fields.

My question is: is it safe to mount a small A/C tranny underneath a large one mounted on top of the chassis, i.e. are the magnetic fields likely to interact to any meaningful degree?

Other suggestions welcomed . . .

Thanks.

Buzz
 

Attachments

Last edited:
My question is: is it safe to mount a small A/C tranny underneath a large one mounted on top of the chassis, i.e. are the magnetic fields likely to interact to any meaningful degree?

Other suggestions welcomed . . .

Thanks.

Buzz

You should have no problem with that , with 2.5 inches under the chassis it will have to be laid down to for it to fit which will also help prevent the magnet from coupling , you might find a5 volt toroid which will easily fit under the chassis and the magnet field is self contained .
http://www.antekinc.com/an-0105-10va-5v-transformer/ $10 + shipping
 
Last edited:
My question is: is it safe to mount a small A/C tranny underneath a large one mounted on top of the chassis, i.e. are the magnetic fields likely to interact to any meaningful degree?

Other suggestions welcomed . . .

Thanks.

Buzz

You should have no problem with that , with 2.5 inches under the chassis it will have to be laid down to for it to fit which will also help prevent the magnet from coupling , you might find a surplus toroid which will easily fit under the chassis and the magnet field is self contained .
http://www.antekinc.com/an-0105-10va-5v-transformer/ you can use the two 120 windings for a smlaal isolation transfor or use it as a 2 amp 5 volt supply
 
Ok, here we go.

The lettering on the front of the chassis was silkscreened; that on the top panel is actually etched into the chassis. Don't have to worry about it rubbing off . . .
 

Attachments

  • Assy1.jpg
    Assy1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Assy2.jpg
    Assy2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 65
Do you have a schematic? I could use one for my mono organ amps.... Great work! Love the looks..... don't stall out on us.....
 
I have the standard Acro UL II schematic. Do don't have one for my version of the power supply yet.
 
Buzzk ,
You do silkscreen your self or you send it out? It looks very nice!

I had a trophy shop engrave this one. I've always used 3rd parties for silkscreening. I used to use DATAK transfer labels and spray before they became unobtanium.
 
Wiring has begun!

Starting with the output section, and working back to the phase splitter and driver, before I drop in the large can caps and heavy iron.
 

Attachments

  • Acro1.jpg
    Acro1.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 65
Making a bit of progress today on the deck.
 

Attachments

  • Acro Build Sepia.jpg
    Acro Build Sepia.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom