• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Buzz's Acro UL-II Monoblock Project

Hey Buzz, is your avatar a picture of the same guy as before but, well, shall we say, "cleaned up"? Are either of them you by any chance?
 
The current pic is of me about a week ago. The other guy . . . Rasputin . . . my alter ego. :-)
 
Last edited:
Part #'s engraved on the BOTTOM! - no traditional pencil-scribble?

He shoots; he scroes!

Class act! Love the detailing.
 
The bottom doesn't look too pretty as it is getting populated on the top . . .

I've sandwiched rubber washers on the power transformer mounting screws: one underneath the screw head; one between the transformer bell mount and the chassis; and one under the washer on the bottom. I drilled the mounting holes a bit bigger. Hopefully, this will provide some vibration isolation.

I couldn't do the same with the built-in studs on the output transformer - I only used one rubber washer between the tranny and the chassis. The studs were short, considering the 1/8" plate thickness. I anchored them with a special kind of KEPS nut. I hope it will hold.
 

Attachments

  • Acro bottom1.jpg
    Acro bottom1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Looks VERY sharp Jon! -- You will love those KT88 Gold Lion reissues. They are the closest that any Russian made tube comes to mimicking the original product, and they are very close indeed. I've been running a quad for some time now, and remain impressed with them.

Dave
 
I've sandwiched rubber washers on the power transformer mounting screws: one underneath the screw head; one between the transformer bell mount and the chassis; and one under the washer on the bottom. I drilled the mounting holes a bit bigger. Hopefully, this will provide some vibration isolation.

I couldn't do the same with the built-in studs on the output transformer - I only used one rubber washer between the tranny and the chassis. The studs were short, considering the 1/8" plate thickness. I anchored them with a special kind of KEPS nut. I hope it will hold.

If I might suggest, it would probably be a good idea to connect a ground wire to one of the studs on each tranny since you have isolated them from the chassis.

John
 
Thanks, John. The power tranny is a (used) Hammond and I think it has a special grounding wire for this purpose, which is what I generally do.

Dave G: This pic's for you. I'm looking forward to wiring the thing up. :-)
 

Attachments

  • Acro Front.jpg
    Acro Front.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 49
Rustnot: Now there's a pair of sharp eyes for ya!

I had them made. Unfortunately, I don't have extras, or I'd send you a couple.
 
I'll have to read this whole thing through. I have a set of ULII's moldering in the archive. You've made some very useful improvements in the power supply BuzzK.
 
Back
Top Bottom