• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Calling All Motorola Consoles!!!

Welcome to AK! The video of the issue might help understand what you are experiencing. Also would be helpful to advise what brand/model turntable.

Note: to continue to discuss and troubleshoot your issue this should be in a separate thread.


Thank you! I'll upload the video to a separate thread with all the info.
 
Hey all, brand new here. Just picked up a Motorola SK80CWA that needs a needle. Can anyone point me in the direction of a reputable source and maybe give me a model number? This thing is gorgeous and sounds great!
 

Attachments

  • 839707D6-84BC-4445-89F6-0E8B13049D0C.jpeg
    839707D6-84BC-4445-89F6-0E8B13049D0C.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 67
  • 0393EAC6-9CCB-4DEB-913D-ADC309F11E8E.jpeg
    0393EAC6-9CCB-4DEB-913D-ADC309F11E8E.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 57
  • C5B08D23-F5C2-4AA2-B8B5-91DC916226F8.jpeg
    C5B08D23-F5C2-4AA2-B8B5-91DC916226F8.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 57
  • ED3EFE8E-770D-4999-B5DA-295D4345EF65.jpeg
    ED3EFE8E-770D-4999-B5DA-295D4345EF65.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 301
Just picked up a Motorola SK80CWA that needs a needle. Can anyone point me in the direction of a reputable source and maybe give me a model number? This thing is gorgeous and sounds great!

Congrats on your new acquisition, This is a great thread which I assume you've already read through. There's a couple of sources mentioned for needle replacement.

Lift the tone arm up and if your vision is good there should be some identifier on the cartridge. If not just remove the cart and look closely.

Try here once you figure out the model #

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/

https://www.turntableneedles.com/Find_Turntable_Record_Player_Stylus_by_Model_Number_for_MOTOROLA
 
Last edited:
Hello everyone! Is anyone able to identify this Motorola console? It looks similar to an SK28 with similar brass tipped feet, but with only one brass rail detail, and different 60s ish stereo in it. Badging is on the lower left speaker No reverb. Im not with it so I cant provide amp chassis


Gzm6UJt.jpg

CbDpQfX.jpg
 
Hello everyone! Is anyone able to identify this Motorola console? It looks similar to an SK28 with similar brass tipped feet, but with only one brass rail detail, and different 60s ish stereo in it. Badging is on the lower left speaker No reverb. Im not with it so I cant provide amp chassis


Gzm6UJt.jpg

CbDpQfX.jpg
SK47M. 1961 version of the SK28. Different tuner and different version of the VM record changer. Different metal trimming on the front as well.
 
Hey all, brand new here. Just picked up a Motorola SK80CWA that needs a needle. Can anyone point me in the direction of a reputable source and maybe give me a model number? This thing is gorgeous and sounds great!

Does anyone know the part number for the Vibrasonic faceplate in this picture? I'm trying to track one down and struggling to find out what the part number is, or what units it was in so I can setup some ebay searches and whatnot.....

index.php
 
Yup, it's 3 channel but without seeing an actual schematic or rear pics, it's only a guess as to what amp it uses. I have seen the lower end Motorola consoles which use the 6BM8 amplifier. I have also seen them use the series string hot chassis amp but I think most of those came in the suitcase style.

If it's a gamble pick up, I hope you get the 6BM8 version! :angel:
 
^Thanks for the replies, I'm kinda on the fence with this one. The price is right however the driving distance is a bit more then I like.
 
^Thanks for the replies, I'm kinda on the fence with this one. The price is right however the driving distance is a bit more then I like.
Personally, I would hold off and wait for a better example to come along. You can still find late 50s to early 60s Motorola consoles really cheap out in the wild. Here's my current project - a 1960 SK53W. I got it for a couple hundred. Just be patient - when the right one shows up. You'll just jump on it.
 

Attachments

  • 20201110_180218.jpg
    20201110_180218.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 32
Personally, I would hold off and wait for a better example to come along. You can still find late 50s to early 60s Motorola consoles really cheap out in the wild. Here's my current project - a 1960 SK53W. I got it for a couple hundred. Just be patient - when the right one shows up. You'll just jump on it.
What's the difference between your SK53W and my SK52W? Mine only lacks FM Stereo.
 
Hi All, Im working on restoring a SK57W (Cantonesian). The amp chassis is a HS-839A. I need help with C17 which is a can located here:
qOiV0Pr.jpg


The parts lists describes it as:
VnHuvKd.jpg

Here is a picture:
GVQriLc.jpg

Would this part be a suitable replacement? I am confused by the designation above after the semicolon the 100mf/25V and this part is 40-40-40 rather than 30-40-40
TzRDtBp.jpg


I am super intimidated by this replacement in either case scenario - leaving it and placing new components underneath and/or replacing it with a new can, but after a long visit at the vintage stereo shop here today he thinks I can do it - they are booked out through the end of the year with repairs. :(

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.
 
Last edited:
Hi FYI, uF and mfd are the same.

If you look at the engraving on the side of the original can capacitor, you will see that it has 4 individual capacitors inside that one can. It should look something like this:

30uF @ 400 Volts DC
40uF @ 400 V
40uF @ 400 V
100uF @ 25 V

If you get the new can you have showing, it should work fine for you however you are going to need an extra individual capacitor which is 100uF @ 25 Volts. This is the cathode bypass capacitor.


In the new can, the first 40uF is just taking the place of the 30uF in the old can. Tolerances are something like 10-20 percent so you should be fine. You are also going to need a 100uF @ 25 V capacitor

If you have the real estate under the chassis, you can also put in four individual capacitors to replace that can capacitor. Whichever is cheapest and/or easier.

The original operates on 400 Volts but the new can says it is good for 525 Volts. You can always go higher on the voltage but never lower than the original.
 
Last edited:
Cademan thank you

Hi FYI, uF and mfd are the same.

If you look at the engraving on the side of the original can capacitor, you will see that it has 4 individual capacitors inside that one can. It should look something like this:

30uF @ 400 Volts DC
40uF @ 400 V
40uF @ 400 V
100uF @ 25 V

If you get the new can you have showing, it should work fine for you however you are going to need an extra individual capacitor which is 100uF @ 25 Volts. This is the cathode bypass capacitor.


In the new can, the first 40uF is just taking the place of the 30uF in the old can. Tolerances are something like 10-20 percent so you should be fine. You are also going to need a 100uF @ 25 V capacitor

If you have the real estate under the chassis, you can also put in four individual capacitors to replace that can capacitor. Whichever is cheapest and/or easier.

The original operates on 400 Volts but the new can says it is good for 525 Volts. You can always go higher on the voltage but never lower than the original.

That 4th number 100uf.25v is the one thats kicking me in the gut. They have a 40 40 30 30 in 450v but no matter what... I guess Im going to have to add something to the bottom to make it right. Which approach would you consider easier? Is there a video tutorial out there somewhere that could help me learn this method? If I got the one with 4 tabs would I just add the additional capacitance in line there with everything currently connecting to that tab at the end of that cap? ie additional cap to lug 4, then wires originally going to that lug 4 attached to other lead?
0HIwQd4.jpg

with an additional 70mf on the 4 lug?
 
Last edited:
IMO the simplest way is to not use the fourth in the can just install a separate cap for the value that you need. A 100uf 25 volt cap is going to be pretty small and easy to find room for.
 
Back
Top Bottom