• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

Waking up with the help of John Klemmer Touch, a hot cup of coffee, and a blanket - watching the deer eating breakfast outside my window.

avionics: no work on the M-2/C-4, but the incandescent bulbs burnt out over the course of the last few weeks - these lasted me about three years. Have replacements in a drawer, but with wildfire season approaching here in Colorado, replacing them has slipped somewhat down the queue. As long as I can still enjoy music…

What are people using for LEDs that are not blindingly bright, the correct color, and/or work with the colored socks/condoms? Thanks everyone for your help and your compliments on the cabinet.
 
For the amber power switches, I use amber colored LED's. For the other green buttons - If the OEM condoms are still serviceable, I use warm white LED's. On both I modify the LED domes to diffuse and eliminate "hot spots".

Amber --- 630-HLMP-EL30-PR400 ( Mouser)
WarmWhite ---- 941-C513AMSSCW0Z0511 (Mouser)

If condoms are broken/destroyed

Green --- These are close. 604-WP7083ZDG/G (Mouser)
 
Last edited:
Let me count... I have four YAMAHA CD Players : CD-S300 models... Three Blacks and one Silver (the only I bought brand new) :

1777133368783.png

1777133453898.png

1777133493633.png

1777133595941.png

By my past personal experience, I consider that CD players are rather disposable gear... So a 300-400 Euros model bought new is the maximum I would invest. So those CD-S300 happen to be my "current standard" : it reads CDs and USB facilities, have digital and optical outs. I just miss a bit a variable output, that's all...

But it's me, OK ? :biggrin: ;)

T
 
Let me count... I have four YAMAHA CD Players : CD-S300 models... Three Blacks and one Silver (the only I bought brand new) :

View attachment 3749449

View attachment 3749451

View attachment 3749452

View attachment 3749453

By my past personal experience, I consider that CD players are rather disposable gear... So a 300-400 Euros model bought new is the maximum I would invest. So those CD-S300 happen to be my "current standard" : it reads CDs and USB facilities, have digital and optical outs. I just miss a bit a variable output, that's all...

But it's me, OK ? :biggrin: ;)

T
"But it's me, OK?"
And in the end, that is truly all that matters - enjoy your gear and journey!!!!
 
For the amber power switches, I use amber colored LED's. For the other green buttons - If the OEM condoms are still serviceable, I use warm white LED's. On both I modify the LED domes to diffuse and eliminate "hot spots".

Amber --- 630-HLMP-EL30-PR400 ( Mouser)
WarmWhite ---- 941-C513AMSSCW0Z0511 (Mouser)

If condoms are broken/destroyed

Green --- These are close. 604-WP7083ZDG/G (Mouser)

Thanks for this. On my project m-70 the amber bulb has clearly been replaced with something not right (like a cool white bulb). Saving for future reference
 
For the amber power switches, I use amber colored LED's. For the other green buttons - If the OEM condoms are still serviceable, I use warm white LED's. On both I modify the LED domes to diffuse and eliminate "hot spots".

Amber --- 630-HLMP-EL30-PR400 ( Mouser)
WarmWhite ---- 941-C513AMSSCW0Z0511 (Mouser)

If condoms are broken/destroyed

Green --- These are close. 604-WP7083ZDG/G (Mouser)
Avionic: Thank you for your help.
 
Asmodeus212: Thanks - I've been a longtime fan of the Tizio! Off the subject, but since you appreciate lighting...I was stationed in Germany in the early-80s, and when I left, I set up a trade with a friend - my beater VW Bug for a new Tizio light. But when we got to the store, I saw an Abolla Suspension light, and HAD to have it instead - the taller the ceiling, the better it looks. Hard to believe I've lugged that light all over the world for the last 43years! It wasn't until last year that I snagged a Tizio locally - perfect for using the turntable (and as mood lighting) at night.

Abolla.jpegIMG_0997.jpeg
 
Asmodeus212: Thanks - I've been a longtime fan of the Tizio! Off the subject, but since you appreciate lighting...I was stationed in Germany in the early-80s, and when I left, I set up a trade with a friend - my beater VW Bug for a new Tizio light. But when we got to the store, I saw an Abolla Suspension light, and HAD to have it instead - the taller the ceiling, the better it looks. Hard to believe I've lugged that light all over the world for the last 43years! It wasn't until last year that I snagged a Tizio locally - perfect for using the turntable (and as mood lighting) at night.

View attachment 3757079View attachment 3757090
I lived in Germany for a bit too, but came to appreciate design from studying Industrial Design. Chairs, lights... HiFi.
 
I lived in Germany for a bit too, but came to appreciate design from studying Industrial Design. Chairs, lights... HiFi.
Small world - I graduated from University of Illinois, Champaign/Urbana with a BFA in...Industrial Design. Never actually worked in the field though. One does not meet too many people who have even heard of Industrial Design - never mind have studied it. Way Cool - Small World!
 
I lived in Germany for a bit too, but came to appreciate design from studying Industrial Design. Chairs, lights... HiFi.

One does not meet too many people who have even heard of Industrial Design - never mind have studied it. Way Cool - Small World!
you are two of the three I heard of.

The other, I got to know years ago (nice design studio in Newport Beach), big collector of black-face 70s Yamaha, first for the classic design (he had nicer ways of describing), then for sound...at least that's how it was until he heard the vfet suite ;)

He has all (or most of) the black-faced Yamaha As Bs and Cs in his collection
 
Small world - I graduated from University of Illinois, Champaign/Urbana with a BFA in...Industrial Design. Never actually worked in the field though. One does not meet too many people who have even heard of Industrial Design - never mind have studied it. Way Cool - Small World!

you are two of the three I heard of.

The other, I got to know years ago (nice design studio in Newport Beach), big collector of black-face 70s Yamaha, first for the classic design (he had nicer ways of describing), then for sound...at least that's how it was until he heard the vfet suite ;)

He has all (or most of) the black-faced Yamaha As Bs and Cs in his collection
Yes, I got tired of explaining what it was when I was in school and people would ask what my major was. I almost studied at IIT, but ended up at Arizona State, which has a pretty decent ID/Architecture school. I have to say that I am probably more into HiFI because of the design, product management and product line management aspects of the golden age of Hifi and the modern mid century era.
 
For the amber power switches, I use amber colored LED's. For the other green buttons - If the OEM condoms are still serviceable, I use warm white LED's. On both I modify the LED domes to diffuse and eliminate "hot spots".

Amber --- 630-HLMP-EL30-PR400 ( Mouser)
WarmWhite ---- 941-C513AMSSCW0Z0511 (Mouser)

If condoms are broken/destroyed

Green --- These are close. 604-WP7083ZDG/G (Mouser)
I'm going to try the LEDs versus the incandescent bulbs.

Could you share how you modify the LED dome to diffuse and eliminate hot spots?
Just sand a flat spot on the top of the LED?

Thank you, Sir!.
 
Back
Top Bottom