• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can I control the turntable motor speed of my Empire 598 electronically?

Maybe put a bubble level on the platter to be sure that it is level. I like using a round bubble level and keeping it on the plinth. Just in case I move it around.

57429c3b-12e3-4091-b2d9-2f4079b7b47d.jpg
Looks more functional than hauling out a level from the toolbox every time.
 
Check a bullseye level by rotating it 180 degrees, the bubble should stay in the same place.

the platter too!

Plenty of old platters, frames and mats are stepped or tapered to accommodate 7" and 10" with a raised lip. No part of my 1219 platter mat, or frame is actually level save the center disc of the platter!
 
the platter too!

Plenty of old platters, frames and mats are stepped or tapered to accommodate 7" and 10" with a raised lip. No part of my 1219 platter mat, or frame is actually level save the center disc of the platter!
Same here, I level mine near the center with the mats off. A tiny bullseye level is good for the headshell as well.
 
I agree the brass screw suspending the motor look a little beaten but,
I only pointed that out because it seems whoever worked on it may not have been very careful

in my area of Virginia I haven’t found any 5m brass screws to replace them yet.
as @gadget73 stated, they won't be metric

The spindle has been cleaned with rubbing alcohol several times and is quite smooth to the touch. The darkness you see is some kind of stain. I could try cleaning with something more abrasive but, I didn’t want to hurt the smooth finish. If it is rubber remnants on the spindle I could try something like Goof-off.
I always clean pulleys with a red scotch pad while the motor is running. You'll need to figure out a way to beep debris from falling into the bearing. Maybe remove the motor and turn it on its side while cleaning the pulley

I’ll try the strobe on the platter under a florescent bulb to rule out my phone app being off speed.
I believe the strobe will work with a incandescent bulb.

The phone adds mass to the platter, that's why I suggested using the strobe
 
I'm not sure about using an incandescent bulb, usually it's a neon bulb. An incandescent will flicker, but I think that the slow filament cool/heat time is too slow for 60Hz.
Incandescent will work but the strobe line is rather faint, but it is there, can use it. The cool heat time is slow but consistent and follows the ac cycle. It works, used it many times with a strobe disc.
 
Last edited:
Do not use a "BULLS EYE LEVEL" as they are very inaccurate and not good enough for a turntable.

Get a "String Level" at the hardware store. Less than 4$ and they are Highly Accurate!

Perfect for turntables, We even precision calibrate them to a "Reference" level by filing down the legs to make them super accurate.

Glad you got your table sorted out. It's frustrating when you have to assemble someone else's repair.

Last item, We use a heavy Marble or Granite cutting board placed under the table along with four nice 4" Vibration "Pucks" for a Big sonic upgrade.


leveling-a-yard-with-a-string-level.jpg


il_fullxfull.5865529014_3abe.jpg


31uI+mMENdL._AC_.jpg
 
Last edited:
Do not use a bubble level as they are very inaccurate and not good enough for a turntable.

Get a "String Level" at the hardware store. Less than 4$ and they are Highly Accurate!

Perfect for turntables, We even precision calibrate them to a "Reference" level by filing down the legs to make them super accurate.

Glad you got your table sorted out. It's frustrating when you have to assemble someone else's repair.

Last item, We use a heavy Marble or Granite cutting board placed under the table along with four nice 4" Vibration "Pucks" for a Big sonic upgrade.


leveling-a-yard-with-a-string-level.jpg


il_fullxfull.5865529014_3abe.jpg


31uI+mMENdL._AC_.jpg
What's the string attached to? Why not just sit the plastic level on the platter?
 
Without a motor controller you cannot expect a belt drive to run exactly at 33.33…
To many variables affect the mechanical result, belt age, humidity, age, rubber type, pulley and platter height/tilt etc etc.
 
What's the string attached to? Why not just sit the plastic level on the platter?
Yes, It just sits on the platter.

The "String" is for laying cement blocks when building a basement for a house.

These are very accurate over a 100 foot span so a platter is child's play...

There's no picture of a String Level sitting on an LP platter that I could find on the net, Even though I've uploaded them many times?

Also while your at the hardware store for a string level get a "Neon Voltage Tester" for flashing your "Strobe Disc" (6$).

Neon-Voltage-Tester-03-0603020014.webp
 
If you ever want to calibrate a level, just put it on a surface and note the bubble position. Turn it 180 and check again. An accurate level will put the bubble in the same spot. If its off, shave down whatever side is high or shim the side that is low until its consistent.

as for accuracy though, you really need a machinist's level. They will give slope in thousandths of an inch per foot. Also ideal if you want to drive yourself absolutely insane with a level. Unless your flooring is a concrete pad directly on the ground, chances are you will flex the floor enough just moving around to throw one of those for a loop.
 
If you ever want to calibrate a level, just put it on a surface and note the bubble position. Turn it 180 and check again. An accurate level will put the bubble in the same spot. If its off, shave down whatever side is high or shim the side that is low until its consistent.

as for accuracy though, you really need a machinist's level. They will give slope in thousandths of an inch per foot. Also ideal if you want to drive yourself absolutely insane with a level. Unless your flooring is a concrete pad directly on the ground, chances are you will flex the floor enough just moving around to throw one of those for a loop.

And of the 20 pack of bubble levels I bought, three were accurate. Got one of those magnetic angle gauges, just not precise.

A digital level gauge can be handy, but even it won't give you actual level, just relative level. But if used correctly you can level to within 0.1°
 
Back
Top Bottom