• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can I control the turntable motor speed of my Empire 598 electronically?

My next turntable will be an empire. From what I understand, these AC motor are synchronous to the line frequency not the line voltage. As such, you will need a VFD (variable frequency drive) controller. However, your platter is turning slower than needed, there must be a mechanical issue that needs to be sorted.
Thanks for the info on the VFD controller. I agree fixing the mechanical issue would be best. Just to clarify, the platter is chronically turning too fast vs. too slow.
 
I've worked on lots of Empires...

Your adjustment knob looks like it's tightened too far down.

This causes the motor shaft to "Tilt" towards the platter.... That is No good.

The motor shaft needs to be mostly Parallel to the Platters Drive surface.

Tilting towards the platter causes the belt to "Ride" high and jump up over the top.

Tilting away from the platter causes the belt to "Ride" lower.

Loosen the adjustment knob until the belt rides on the middle of the motor "Crown".

Last item, You say too fast? If it's a lot too fast, Have you confirmed if it's a 50 or 60 Hertz motor and it matches your supply voltage and frequency?

I didn't see where your located.

Hope that helps.
 
I've worked on lots of Empires...

Your adjustment knob looks like it's tightened too far down.

This causes the motor shaft to "Tilt" towards the platter.... That is No good.

The motor shaft needs to be mostly Parallel to the Platters Drive surface.

Tilting towards the platter causes the belt to "Ride" high and jump up over the top.

Tilting away from the platter causes the belt to "Ride" lower.

Loosen the adjustment knob until the belt rides on the middle of the motor "Crown".

Last item, You say too fast? If it's a lot too fast, Have you confirmed if it's a 50 or 60 Hertz motor and it matches your supply voltage and frequency?

I didn't see where your located.

Hope that helps.
I’ll try adjusting the knob. I’m located in the US 117 volts 60 hertz.
I can see what you’re suggesting about the spindle angling too far forward towards the platter but, it’s the only direction that effectively lowers the speed.
In the more parallel position you suggested, the platter chronically runs about +1%. Is there any other way to lower the speed short of adjusting that knob i.e heighten or lower platter height?
 
Last edited:
from your photos, the spindle does not look clean

and yes, that thumb-screw is way too tight,

by the looks of the slotted screws that suspend the motor, someone was not very careful with the screwdriver

the 598 has a strobe on the platter, use that instead of your phone
 
Comparing your photo to others in www, I'd say the platter is a bit high (it doesn't seem to be able to get lower without touching the motor "bracket" though?) and tilted to the right (perhaps it's just the perspective?).

If this is the same as yours (OK, I see the pulley is different) your motor (and herewith the pulley) is to high as well.

1789497130716.png1789497257737.png
1789498344375.png1789498860589.png
 
from your photos, the spindle does not look clean

and yes, that thumb-screw is way too tight,

by the looks of the slotted screws that suspend the motor, someone was not very careful with the screwdriver

the 598 has a strobe on the platter, use that instead of your phone
from your photos, the spindle does not look clean

and yes, that thumb-screw is way too tight,

by the looks of the slotted screws that suspend the motor, someone was not very careful with the screwdriver

the 598 has a strobe on the platter, use that instead of your phone
I agree the brass screw suspending the motor look a little beaten but, in my area of Virginia I haven’t found any 5m brass screws to replace them yet. The spindle has been cleaned with rubbing alcohol several times and is quite smooth to the touch. The darkness you see is some kind of stain. I could try cleaning with something more abrasive but, I didn’t want to hurt the smooth finish. If it is rubber remnants on the spindle I could try something like Goof-off.
I’ll try the strobe on the platter under a florescent bulb to rule out my phone app being off speed.
 
I found one of these floating around inside the plinth after I cleaned it out. It sort of looks like a spacer. Might this threaded spacer have gone on the two stationary slotted screws between underside of the motor mounting bracket and the motor? I could see how that might make the motor sit slightly lower.
I’m at a disadvantage since, I never saw how it was originally configured.
Does this fitting look like anything you folks have seen before.
Thoughts?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0272.jpeg
    IMG_0272.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0274.jpeg
    IMG_0274.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 17
I found one of these floating around inside the plinth after I cleaned it out. It sort of looks like a spacer. Might this threaded spacer have gone on the two stationary slotted screws between underside of the motor mounting bracket and the motor? I could see how that might make the motor sit slightly lower.
I’m at a disadvantage since, I never saw how it was originally configured.
Does this fitting look like anything you folks have seen before.
Thoughts?
That spacer goes between the motor and the mounts, if they're not in then that's why the motor is riding so high.

Screenshot_20260915_154703_Chrome.jpg

Picture stolen.
 
Your motor pulley also does not look the same as the other photo. Maybe that's why it doesn't sit the same.
Reference has a hole in the top and a longer bottom cylinder. Yours has no hole and the lower cylinder does not extend down.
Maybe the diameter is also different? Or, maybe the motor was replaced with one from a different model?

1789502154284.png1789502187514.png
 
Maybe some help here, motor height mentioned:

 
Last edited:
Comparing your photo to others in www, I'd say the platter is a bit high (it doesn't seem to be able to get lower without touching the motor "bracket" though?) and tilted to the right (perhaps it's just the perspective?).

If this is the same as yours (OK, I see the pulley is different) your motor (and herewith the pulley) is to high as well.

View attachment 3837221View attachment 3837222
View attachment 3837241View attachment 3837254
Borchee,

I think you deserve the audio master’s gold star on this one.
It turned out that your astute observation of the improper gap between the actual motor and the mounting bracket in my picture vs. one you found online was the culprit.
The one mangled threaded spacer I found must have gone on the one of the 2 stationary motor mounting screws underneath the grommet. I guess one was mangled and the other one missing when I bought it. The motor hardware came in a baggie when purchased.
I didn’t have 5m threaded spacers like the one I found floating around in the plinth but, I was able to find a couple of 5m brass bolts of the same approximate width. After removing and remounting the motor to the bracket with the new spacer bolts in place between the bracket and the motor, I re-ran the speed test with my iPhone app. The score was +0.07%. I can totally live with that but, I will run a proper speed test using the strobe and fluorescent light to be sure.
Thank to everyone for your suggestions and support.
You folks rock!!!!!
 
229a93e6-937b-4bb7-9d5b-97455e543a41.jpeg

You know, the platter looks like it's not level with the turntable's metal chassis top. The plinth.

I'm not sure if this is normal.

:idea:
 
229a93e6-937b-4bb7-9d5b-97455e543a41.jpeg

You know, the platter looks like it's not level with the turntable's metal chassis top. The plinth.

I'm not sure if this is normal.

:idea:
I lowered the platter as far as I could adjust it without scraping the motor mount. I then slowly raised it until the belt wasn’t touching the platter and leveled it 360 degrees all around the platter. It’s now in spec with the user manual, 3/16” from the top deck.
The table it’s sitting on was built of 2 1/2” MDF. It’s super stable and has adjustable legs so it super level.
I wonder if the Empire 589 was as much fun to set up when it was new back in 1970?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0275.jpeg
    IMG_0275.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom