• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Center Channel suggestions for Bozak Symphony L/R

EWizard

Super Member
Does anyone have any suggestions on which center channel would go well with my Bozak Symphony mains?

I am also considering building a custom center channel with Bozak 6" midrange and tweets.
 
Register to hide this ad
I know this isn't the answer you were looking for but I would keep them as a 2 channel setup. I know we all don't have unlimited budgets but I would start from scratch if you are looking to put together a multi-channel setup.

I have a multi-channel setup and have been working on my brother to get him to sell me his Symphonies so I could have a separate dedicated 2-channel setup.
 
I could also make sure to get a processor that has a pass through. That way I could get a nice 2 channel setup for music.
I just want a center channel that will blend with the Symphonies.

Might have to build a custom unit with Bozak midrange and tweeter drivers.
 
IMHO it matters very little unless you plan on listening to a lot of 5 ch SACD or DTS discs. The lion's share of center channel content is dialog and isn't very demanding at all. Find some thing that fits the space.
 
Completely agree, and the multichannel listening will be limited to mostly movies and tv.
The center that I have now is not very clear on the dialog. Low end Klipsch that came with the Quintet 5 mini speakers kit.
I mainly want a decent center channel that is clear with the dialog.

Willing to spend ~$500 for a center channel.
Any suggestions?
 
I've only owned and spent much time with one center, my NHT CenterOne. Does the job nicely.
 
Completely agree, and the multichannel listening will be limited to mostly movies and tv.
The center that I have now is not very clear on the dialog. Low end Klipsch that came with the Quintet 5 mini speakers kit.
I mainly want a decent center channel that is clear with the dialog.

Willing to spend ~$500 for a center channel.
Any suggestions?

If you're really wanting to do this, then I would say to go with either original Bozak drivers or find some tube-era alnico Wharfedales. In terms of voicing, they would probably be the closest, I would think. I understand what you mean about dialogue, and Wharfedales are really-good at reproducing the human voice and have a similarly-full, musical sound (and they won't cost as much as Bozak drivers).

What I DON'T understand is why you even HAVE a center channel. I mean, you're certain to get better-sounding dialogue WITHOUT the Klipsch center-channel. Just let the Symphonies handle it (My W90's make it sound like I already HAVE a center-channel speaker... an invisible one). Anyway, if you indeed want a center-channel to match the Bozaks, then if I were you, I would go with original Bozaks or the closest old school substitute, like I said.
 
In my 5.1 system the advantage of the center channel is that I don't have to turn-up the volume excessively loud to hear the dialog and then get blown out of the room when there's action or music in the soundtrack. My speakers are very well matched (NHT SuperTwo mains, SuperOne rears & SubOne) and I still bump the center ch level +2 over the mains. Regardless of how well the mains alone handle dialog they can't overcome the the way 5.1 Dolby is mixed and you have to compensate with extra volume to get the dialog from the mains in surround sound mode. There's nothing wrong with having a center and side/rear channels as long as they can be defeated for stereo music.
 
Last edited:
So, what about these center channels:
Wharfdale Diamond Series
Boston Acoustics RS244C
Infinity IL36C

The boston acoustics looks really nice but no idea how these particular units sound.
 
With movies, the choice of center speaker IMO is a matter of getting the right dispersion pattern for your listening arrangement and then matching loudness. With auto setup in most receivers it is not hard to do. Don't worry too much about the "coloration" or tonality - with voices you won't notice in movies. There's very little music content in the center channel.

You should also ask at the Home Theater Shack forum.
 
Right.
I am not quite as concerned about matching the tonality to my Bozaks as I am to getting a clear sounding speaker which makes voices in movies and TV easier to understand.
In a movie the voice is the most important thing to me.
Anybody have anything to comment on about any of the brands listed above?
 
Something you need to keep in mind is proximity to your electronics. More of an issue with monitors and such, but receivers can throw a lot of RF and noise. A true center channel speaker is usually designed with extra shielding to take care of that.

I went with a Bose VS100 and put it right in the audio rack. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's well built.

Bose_VS100.jpg


system-jun12.jpg


Second shelf down ... as you can see, I got a LOT of potential noise sources up close and intimate. I also like the tone - very crisp and clear vocals and it adds a lot of pOp to center stage instrumentation.
 
Another option that I hadn't even thought of was going "phantom".
I'll have to try it and see if it works better or not.
Pretty sure my HK has the ability to turn off the Center Channel.
 
I've used a Bozak 302a between my concert grands with good results. But my reciever (pilot 654) has a center channel out. I even stacked two 302a's in the center and used them as well.

It's a wall of sound.
 
What about Paradigm?

I get what you're saying about voices and how they can be more than a bit relaxed with Bozaks, but I prefer that sort of thing with music. But Bozaks ARE great with the TONE of the human voice, so that's why I think a Bozak center-channel is a good idea. You'll get the center-channel without ruining the character and seamless nature of the Symphonies. Paradigms are great for home theater, but they might come off as just a bit too-bright to coexist with the Bozaks. It's a smooth brightness though (Lets call it a "smooth, yet pristine" sound), so I guess there's a possibility that it will work. I really-don't know.
 
I've used a Bozak 302a between my concert grands with good results. But my reciever (pilot 654) has a center channel out. I even stacked two 302a's in the center and used them as well.

It's a wall of sound.

Your old tube-powered Pilot receiver has a CENTER-CHANNEL? Really? Wow, I like that idea a lot. I didn't know they had that kind of thing back then. I wish my 2000x had a center-channel-out because I would use one of my W60's for the center-channel and my W90's as the mains (That's not a bad idea actually... Maybe I can find an old amp that can do that).
 
Last edited:
Listen to the Wise Man

I've used a Bozak 302a between my concert grands with good results. But my reciever (pilot 654) has a center channel out. I even stacked two 302a's in the center and used them as well.

It's a wall of sound.

My mind went right there. I'd do it if I had this dilemma.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom