• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cerwin Vega crossover caps

Register to hide this ad
All these fancy modern poly caps with their low ESR are going to make your tweeters and mids too darned bright. Get non-polar electrolytic, nice low quality higher ESR caps for older Cerwin Vegas. It's what I ended up using in multiple pairs, after removing modern polys.

Biggles
 
ClarityCaps have higher ESR than most modern poly caps, so they shouldn't negatively effect balance. Plus, with their slightly warm tone, they could be a good brand to use for Cerwin Vegas. The ClarityCap PX, SA, and CSA series caps aren't too pricey to try.
 
I have a set of Cerwin Vega D-7's, and I want to replace the crossover caps. Any recommendations? Thanks
My First speakers and I still have the D7's. I purchased the parts 2yrs ago and it's time to put this together.
Films: ClarityCap CSA or Mundorf EVO - Aluminum Oil
Caps: Mundorf E-Cap AC
Resistors: Mills MRA-5
Inductors: ERSE Audio
Crossover Wire: GR-Research 16-Gauge OFCC

CVD7.png
 
Last edited:
All these fancy modern poly caps with their low ESR are going to make your tweeters and mids too darned bright. Get non-polar electrolytic, nice low quality higher ESR caps for older Cerwin Vegas. It's what I ended up using in multiple pairs, after removing modern polys.

Biggles
D7s come with films from the factory. Don't go electrolytic.
 
D7s come with films from the factory. Don't go electrolytic.
The issue with the D7's crossover is space and price to what the OP is looking to use. The Silver Cap 40uf/75v and Blue 15uf/100v are Electrolytics and going with Films at 40uf/200+V is large.
I have used the Mundorf E-Cap in my Vandersteen rebuild and the E-Cap is structured more of a Film.
 
Back
Top Bottom