• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cerwin Vega Dissapointment

Jayrosc

Super Member
I picked up a pair of CV 3000's last weekend. These are one of CV's HED series....stands for high energy design. I've read the stories about this company: Thundering bass. Ultra loud party speakers, etc. etc.
Well, I've put new surrounds on the woofers (from simply speakers) cleaned up the crossovers and fired them up.

Wait, where's the thundering bass? The volume is there for sure. Very loud mid range drivers and piercing highs from the horn tweeters, but what about that legendary Cerwin Vega Bass?

I mean, this is what the company says about their speciality:

"The early seventies also started pro-relationships with bands that included: The Rolling Stones, Boom Town Rats, David Bowie, Peter Frampton, Emerson Lake and Palmer and Bernie Taupin (Elton John’s partner). In the late 70’s, Cerwin-Vega became the first manufacturer to produce its own digital recordings for the evaluation of loudspeaker design parameters. Digital technology was used in the home-line of loudspeakers known as the “D” series. Over the next decade, Cerwin –Vega continued to evolve its engineering excellence and loudspeaker designs resulting in speaker systems that have established a reputation for offering the widest dynamic-range, highest efficiency, highest output-level and best bass-response in the business. "

No earthquakes heard here. Barely a rumble. And I was listening hard.
 

Attachments

  • 20160408_100909.jpg
    20160408_100909.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 279
  • 20160408_100826.jpg
    20160408_100826.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 251
Register to hide this ad
I know nothing about the HED series but I have D9s and E-712's and they do bring the thunder
 
What if you only play one at a time? That will tell you if phase is an issue.
You know what? I began to worry when I hooked up the one I finished first and had it playing while completing the other. Bass was really lacking, but I told myself it was due to placement on the kitchen table, away from the wall. Got em both running in the place you see in the pics and still no dice. BTW, those speakers on the floor you see in the pics absolutely KILL these Vegas in every way. Plus they go toe to toe in the volume dept.
 
Trust buy verify,,,,,,,,,,,,put a 9v battery across the terminal, with red to + of battery, etc If your woofer moves outward then you are in phase, if it pulls in you are sadly out of phase. I have worked on JBL woofers that were mis labeled!
Second to the phase is the required break in time for some foam products- which may need a few weeks or more. To that I would say download a 75hz test tone and play loop through your CD player for a good while at good volume to help break in when you are not there. Good luck
DC
 
Surrounds are new so it may take some time to break them in as well. Also if the surrounds are too thick, that can cause issues as well.

Simply Speakers usually has great product so I'd almost rule out my last statement. :idea:
 
Pretty sure I had those exact speakers years ago, and can say they would rattle windows in my house, and the neighbors windows too!
 
Put on a mono source. The image should come from midway between the two speakers. If not - if it seems to come from both, or from everywhere, something is out of phase.
 
i agree to double check the phase, but sounds like you verified that already. i used to own the similar d5's with 12" woofer, they are decent speakers but IMO they lacked in the bass compared to other comparable priced/size speakers of the time. based on the name i assumed the cerwin vegas were a "better" speaker than some other 12" woofer brands, i think they were better than sony or technics etc, but i found the MTX line of speakers at the time killed the cv's in bass & overall loudness. i had mtx's "magnum" line of speaker (similar to the newer AAL line) with a 12" woofer & a paper cone mid & tweet with a "piezio" super tweeter... the bass of those mtx speakers was very nice & much better than the cerwin vegas, so the cv's got sold real quick. never been too impressed with cv, even the big d9's didnt do what their size would lead you to believe they should do. cv's are over rated IMO.

i do suggest getting them off the other speakers, all speakers will have better bass on the floor & just as important is to be in or as close to corners of teh room as possible. try switching things around a bit & put them on the floor in the corner out about 12" from the wall. if they dont have better bass there, then something may be wrong, like the refoam job could be off center or as mentioned they may need a little break in with some higher volume bass heavy music.

either way, good luck with them!
 
You checked the WOOFER's phase by pointing out that red was on red etc.
BUT
Are the two cabinets in phase... I mean - plus ( or + ) from amp on plus ( + ) of the Vegas and black ( or - )
from amp on black ( - ) of the Vegas AND THIS for BOTH cabinets.

Anyway, just reverse one cabinet's polarity and you should ear changes.

Happens to me all the times... sooooo many wires that aren't identified in any way.

Good luck and congrats for the refoam... looks good !
 
Back
Top Bottom