• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Connoiseur BD-103

devildog

Active Member
Picked one up at a garage sale yesterday. Any opinions? Looks like a belt is about $25. Maybe a starter for my daughter?
 
Register to hide this ad
I've got a vague memory of reading it takes a non-standard cart. You might want to check on that before putting any money into it. Other than that, I believe it was pretty well-regarded.
 
It came with two micro headshells, one has a Shure v15 type3, the other a Grado f3+. I took the platter off and the belt was dry rotted and broke but the motor spins. I just know so little about it??? It looks nice. I has a box in the electric cord, may have something to do with multi voltage, made in England.
 
The box in the cord is simply the power supply for the motor which was a low voltage DC type IIRC.

My views on Connoisseuer turntables are known by many on here so in fairness I shall say that it's probably worth $25 just for the Shure cartridge and to have a play with. You should get your money back if it turns out to be not much good.
 
The box in the cord is simply the power supply for the motor which was a low voltage DC type IIRC.

My views on Connoisseuer turntables are known by many on here so in fairness I shall say that it's probably worth $25 just for the Shure cartridge and to have a play with. You should get your money back if it turns out to be not much good.
I do have this vague recollection of you not being fond of them. :D I had one for a time on loan from a shop while the belt drive Technics I had at the time was being repaired under warranty (for the second or third time). It was actually a vast improvement over my deck and I didn't want to swap back.
 
The table came with a "lot" of stereo gear at a garage sale. I already sold the Carver m-400. There was Kenwood int amp and tuner and a set of Canton speakers, I plan on giving them to my daughter. I think I'll keep the headshells and cartridges and sell the table at my wife's garage sale for best offer or give it away. I have another table I can give her. Thanks for the replys. If somebody would have jumped in and said it was a descent table I might have bought the belt and tried it out.
 
The table came with a "lot" of stereo gear at a garage sale. I already sold the Carver m-400. There was Kenwood int amp and tuner and a set of Canton speakers, I plan on giving them to my daughter. I think I'll keep the headshells and cartridges and sell the table at my wife's garage sale for best offer or give it away. I have another table I can give her. Thanks for the replys. If somebody would have jumped in and said it was a decent table I might have bought the belt and tried it out.
When I had that one on loan I actually thought it was quite a nice deck. As I said, sounded much better than the Technics I had at the time. Definitely not junk at all. I'd buy the belt and give it a try for sure if it were me.
 
Well, it just got better. I took the tt over to Alpha Tech here in St. Louis to get a belt and they were surprised to see a Micro Seiki tone arm. Had to order the belt. I guess I'll see what happens.
 
It came with two micro headshells, one has a Shure v15 type3, the other a Grado f3+. I took the platter off and the belt was dry rotted and broke but the motor spins. I just know so little about it??? It looks nice. I has a box in the electric cord, may have something to do with multi voltage, made in England.

Great score simply for the cartridges. Put a Jico SAS on the V15-III and you have e very nice MM cartridge.

I am not a Grado expert but I think you can get an 8MZ for ~$100 that many people in AK speak highly about.
 
Well, it just got better. I took the tt over to Alpha Tech here in St. Louis to get a belt and they were surprised to see a Micro Seiki tone arm. Had to order the belt. I guess I'll see what happens.

Wow!

I am in St. Louis but rarely find these deals.
 
Mow I'm more interested in the tone arm. Going to try and ID it and maybe do something with it. I don't like the looks of the Connoisseur. I may try and find a table to put it on. Need to figure out how to post pictures.
 
First try at a pic hope it works...this is the arm on the Connoisseur... Micro Seiki but can't find a number on it.
 

Attachments

  • P1010029.jpg
    P1010029.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 106
I think you are really underestimating this turntable.

If the motor is quiet and the sprung chassis is set up properly I'm betting it beats your Pioneer. Especially with a Micro Seiki arm.

Who puts that arm on a poor table?
 
You may be right, I don't really know enough about it. When I retired I dug some of my old stereo stuff out and have been slowly improving and buying records. I was always fan of Pioneer back in the 70's so that's what I have. The pl-50a Is by no means one of Pioneers best but I like the look. After I get the belt and try it maybe I'll try to come up with something that I can put that arm on and will please my eyes a little more than the BD -103. I started another thread with a pic of the arm trying to ID it to find out a little more. Thanks. Think I'll watch The Cardinals game.
 
I think you are really underestimating this turntable.

If the motor is quiet and the sprung chassis is set up properly I'm betting it beats your Pioneer. Especially with a Micro Seiki arm.

Who puts that arm on a poor table?

I agree, that is a better table than you think. Not to mention it has a Micro Seiki arm. Looks like a 505, very good arm by the way. Back in the 70's I remember many times hearing the Connie beat up on much more expensive tables, and that was with the stock arm. I think you should let Zaw set it up and see what you think. That table when set up correctly can sound quite good.
Sturgus
 
Last edited:
First: That's a Micro Ma 505 series 1 arm, I believe. Its an excellent arm and quite valuable. Even the headshells go for substantial money. And the cartridges are good, so you made out very well. Vinyl Engine has the manuals and so on for the arm.
If my memory is correct, the BD 103 had a 12 inch platter unlike the 2 and 2a. The 2s had a motor that was suspended on looped rubber bands and used an O ring as a belt. If the 103 has a similar setup, you could try it with a loop of thread -- if the motor is as compliantly mounted as on the 2s, you don't need the compliance of the belt, and you might be better off without it (I tried thread on my Micro Seiki 1500 a decade ago and never looked back -- dramatic improvement, and at a cost of less than a cent). Vinyl Engine also has the manuals for some of the Connoisseurs.
Connoisseurs look cheesy, but Sugden put all the money into the steak, and as little as possible into the sizzle, and their tables sound dramatically better than looks would lead you to believe. Clean and relube the bearing, get the motor mounted correctly and either get a belt or use thread, and fire her up. Do not sell it at your wife's tag sale. :nono::nono:
I feel strongly enough that I have, for the first time, added smilies, though these are frownies. And just in case anyone is confused, the Sugden of Connoisseur is a different Sugden than the Sugden of the highly regarded electronics firm. The turntable Sugden was something of a workshed genius, and came up with a stereo system for records before the 45/45 system was introduced, and was one of the first with a stereo cartridge, made by bolting two of his cartridges together at 90 degrees to each other. Wacky but effective, and cheap.
 
I remember it fondly (and not so fondly) as it was my first entry-level high end or audiophile TT. In hindsight one might say it was the Rega Planer 3 of that era. Well engineered and offering a lot value for the money, its problem was quality control. Like, the Fiats of that time you wouldn’t want to buy one if Yorkshire or Leeds had lost a football game that prior weekend.

I can’t remember which transducer it had but it was something exotic and British. And it sounded very pretty and plump as I fondly recall. No I am not talking about some ex girlfriend but this TT.

My platter started to rotate the opposite way one day, I got ride of it but the Japanese belt drive TT (I was from the belt drive TT church at that time) I purchased were of higher production quality but never sounded as good the Connoisseur BD-103.

I should have gotten it fixed because it was a small fix. But it did start my love of British HiFi. The Rega Planer 3 was a worthy successor for we of limited means and searching for high quality sound. So the Rega does tend to drown out any cheers for the Connoisseur. But for me it was the affordable but British quirky fun TT.

People like me would often mount different arms on TT as if we really knew what we were doing. I put a Grace tone arm on mine. I don’t know why, maybe because it looked cool. So the Micro Seiki arm doesn’t surprise me.

As Joni Mitchell would say;
“Don't it always seem to go
you don't know what you've got Til it's gone”

Michael
 
I'm leaning that way, if it only looked as good as my Pioneer there would be no problem.

Devildog,

Sturgus is another St Louis guy and he is right on. If you are not comfortable doing the the work let Zaw at Alpha Tech do it. He will get it running properly.

Then play the turntable and the ugly duck may just become a swan.

I kind of like the looks of it but it's the sound that matters. This table could take you to another level. :thmbsp:

Post a few more pictures if you can.

Cheers, Bob
 
Connoisseur bd-103 pics

Here's just a few pics, looks better in the pics maybe it'll grow on me ?
 

Attachments

  • P1010030.jpg
    P1010030.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 120
  • P1010031.jpg
    P1010031.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 99
Back
Top Bottom