• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Connoiseur BD-103

Well, I'm a hot rod guy and when looking at old cars and such there's a term "20 footer" that refers to a paint job that looks ok from 20 feet. When you get up close you can see the imperfections such as orange peel. I put this table in that category.
 
Well from 20 feet or where ever you took the picture, it looks very attractive to me. Could you sand and refinish to get rid of the orange peel?
Let me congratulate you again on a very nice find.
 
Nat, I don't think so. The finish is a cheap veneer that is actually peeling on one corner, held on with scotch tape.
 
Fiddlefye.... I think it is a wood veneer. The piece that's loose is an edge molding at the rear corner of the dustcover. I just got off the phone with needledoctor and the belt will be here Tues,
 
Now that I know a little more, (very little) the wheels are spinning! What about finding a table I like a little more, maybe a Thorens and having the tone arm installed on it? Obviously the Micro Seiki arm is where the real value is. How would a TD-160 with that arm and the v-15 type 3 work out?
 
The TD 160 is most easily used with lighter tonearms -- the suspended subchasis can probably be adjusted to accommodate a heavy arm like the MA 505 (and I would imagine the arm would fit on the mounting plate but that should also be checked out), but I suspect that a TD 125 (or, if you are lucky, a 124) might be more easily adapted, and a more appropriate matching in terms of quality.
And there is the question of compatibility between the arm and the cartridge -- it's not an ideal combo. Very high compliance and fairly high mass.
 
I'd try the arm right where it sits before passing judgement. My recollection was of a rather nice sounding table and that was with a much lesser arm than you have to work with.
 
Now that I know a little more, (very little) the wheels are spinning! What about finding a table I like a little more, maybe a Thorens and having the tone arm installed on it? Obviously the Micro Seiki arm is where the real value is. How would a TD-160 with that arm and the v-15 type 3 work out?

I have not seen that arm on a TD 160 before and as previously stated, you need to verify the suspension can handle the arm weight.

I could not find the effective mass of your tonearm in the VE data base. The arm came with the V15 and the Grado but I suspect a Denon DL 103 moving coil would play nicely. You would need a step up transformer for it though (more $) ... So maybe a nice HOMC would be another option?



Since you bought a stylus for the Shure, let's see how it plays on the BD103 first. I can help you set it up. I think that the BD 103 is going to surprise you. :thmbsp:

Bob
 
I'm definitely going to wait for the belt to arrive,they said Tuesday when ordered. After setting it up on phono 2 I'll be able to switch back and forth easily for a few days. Just wish it wasn't so cheap looking. Sitting next to my PL-50 A it looks like it came from Radio Shack. I'm kind of remembering my first TT, one of those old plastic Garrards.
 
I'm definitely going to wait for the belt to arrive,they said Tuesday when ordered. After setting it up on phono 2 I'll be able to switch back and forth easily for a few days. Just wish it wasn't so cheap looking. Sitting next to my PL-50 A it looks like it came from Radio Shack. I'm kind of remembering my first TT, one of those old plastic Garrards.

I started with a Garrard 40B (wood base) back in 1973 and heck, it played music! Some of my friends had AR XA, Pioneer PL-12B, Technics SL 1200 and 1300, etc. By the late 70's one guy bought a Connoiseur, either the BD1 or BD2. It looked cheap but my recollection was it sounded very good.
 
Well, the belt came today and it was the wrong one. I called needle doctor back and they don't have the correct one. I called Za at Alpha Tech and had a nice conversation with him and I think he's going to come up with a trade offer for me in a few days. Possibiities are a Pioneer PL-570, Thorens Td-150, and Micro Seiki DD-40. He's also checking on maybe having a table I can purchase and have him install the ma-505 on it. Any thoughts?
 
Well, the belt came today and it was the wrong one. I called needle doctor back and they don't have the correct one. I called Za at Alpha Tech and had a nice conversation with him and I think he's going to come up with a trade offer for me in a few days. Possibiities are a Pioneer PL-570, Thorens Td-150, and Micro Seiki DD-40. He's also checking on maybe having a table I can purchase and have him install the ma-505 on it. Any thoughts?

Devildog,

Sorry to hear that about the belt. You can get one from LPGear for $26.

http://www.lpgear.com/product/CONN14.html

As for a trade, that is up to you. The Micro Seiki DD-40 should come with a MA-505 tone arm, like what you already have. Check this out at Vinyl Engine.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/micro-seiki/dd-40.shtml

I think the DD-40 with your tonearm would be awesome. If Zaw has one with the MA-505 then you are basicially swapping the tables and I would jump on that one. I think it will be much better that the PL-570.

The Thorens TD-150 is really nice and can be modified to be excellent deck too but that is getting you into another world of belt drives and spring suspensions. Again, not sure how the 505 arm would fit on it, you would have to make an arm board and integrate it to the deck ... an interesting project.

I am liking the Micro Seiki option.

Cheers, Bob
 
I still didn't order a belt, waiting to see what Alpha Tech comes up with. I keep looking at that table sitting on the work bench. The other day someone suggested a piece of thread as a makeshift belt. Well, I tried it and hooked it up to a little Kenwood I had out in the garage. I just listened to a Steely Dan Album and it sounded great. It's slowly growing on me.:music: I think before I do anything I'll get the belt and hook it up to the Pioneer system.
 

Attachments

  • P1010034.jpg
    P1010034.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 35
Technical and General

Technical and General in Britain has parts (incl. belts and upgraded motors) - I don't have their info anymore - but try posting on one of the more Brit focused forum like Pinkfish Media. someone will get back to you with the info you need. Sold a few of these when I had my own store many years ago - thought they dusted most of the similarly priced tables back then. The natural rubber parts perished with age - a definite problem.
 
Back
Top Bottom