• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Could you recognize these Advents?

ymarko

Super Member
Could you identify these Advents?

Here's the picture of an Advent speaker. It is about 3.5 feet high and 2.0 feet wide. What are they? Why they shaped like this? Specs maybe?
 

Attachments

  • advent_spk.jpg
    advent_spk.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Advent 6003, no idea on specs. I believe this was Advent's first entry of a 3-way speaker system after their purchase by Jensen. I believe they have a 10" woofer, 5" mid and dome tweeter. They are fairly rare.

Dave
 
Last edited:
A casket perhaps, but I remember seeing these years ago and was struck by the quality and looks of the cabinet.

Dave
 
Yep a 6003.

It should be equipped with a 5 inch polypropylene "donut" midrange.

Very attractive speaker in person with its walnut veneer & chocolate brown grill.

I thought they sounded quite good myself. They also safely handled a lot more power than the 5xxx series since now the tweeter was unencumbered with a low crossover point. And the woofer is slightly different too, since it no longer had to reproduce the delicate upper midrange. This was all prompted by the introduction of the Compact Disc in 1982, specifically, its extended bass capabilities and extremely wide dynamic range. If one reads my posts here they know I'm a big fan of Advent, but the two-way design has its limits as far as cone-n-dome drivers are concerned.
 
Forgot the enclosure shape question! I don't remember Advent mentioning this, but if they were thinking like Infinity at the time, the angled front baffle reduces the effect of what's known as edge diffraction, which is caused by the output of the tweeter and midrange reflecting off the baffle. Less baffle surface = less diffraction = improved stereo imaging among other things.
 
Found some specs for you, SR Buyers Guide 1984.

Genuine walnut veneer, FR 40-22,000 + or - 2.5db, crossovers 750 and 4500, Sens 88.5 db, 8 ohm imp, Retail @ $750/pair.

This was Advents first shot at a three way and I too agree that it may have upped the ante a bit. Always liked the Advent 2 ways, but this one overshadowed the others. Wish I had picked up a pair, and they were heavily discounted, that I remember.
 
My college roommate had a pair of these, for a very short time. Neither of us cared for their sound, I'm sorry to say, and they were quickly replaced by a pair of Klipsch Fortes.
 
Back
Top Bottom