• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cover versions better that the originals?

Linda Ronstadt
I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You) - Hank Williams

Crazy (Patsy Cline)

When I hear those two songs sung by Linda, I'm numb to the world, only aware of the music.:yes:
 
Jack Russell/Great White cover of Zepplin's "Babe i'm Gonna Leave You"

Yngwie Malmstein, Ronnie James Dio and friends cover of Aerosmith's "Dream On"

Deen Castronovo, Todd Jensen, Jens Johansson, Yngwie Malmsteen, Russ Parrish, Joe Lynn Turner cover of Deep Purple's "Lazy" <<<<< This is awesome!!

Eric Clapton's covers of JJ Cale's "After Midnight" and "Cocaine"

.................... to name a very few.
 
Enter Sandman - Pat Boone (Metallica), Honky Tonk Man - Dwight Yoakam (Johnny Horton), Rusty Cage - Johnny Cash (Soundgarden) of the top of my head. I used to think the originals were always the best, but have sinnce ran into many covers that are fantastic. Some I didn't even know were covers like Black Betty by Ram Jam.
 
Linda Ronstadt
I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You) - Hank Williams

Crazy (Patsy Cline)

When I hear those two songs sung by Linda, I'm numb to the world, only aware of the music.:yes:

Linda Ronstadt's version of Willin' is amazing. Lowell George wrote it. The Byrds played it live before Little Feat recorded it, and Gene Parsons has done a bunch of great covers of it over the years. The Byrds' studio version is great but Linda's version has got some funk to it :banana: :banana: :banana:
 
Nothing immediately comes to mind for me. I'm a little averse to the idea of very good cover versions being better than the original, rather than just very good cover versions. I like Hendrix, but I never really got the fuss about All Along the Watchtower, or his various other covers - some of those are just live performances and decidedly sloppy, and his vocals are generally...serviceable.

The Dylan original of Watchtower was fine, as Dylan originals invariably are. The same goes for Cohen's Hallelujah. These two are consummate songwriters and also great performers of their own work.

Songwriters can be at a bit of a disadvantage if their original performance of their material is more towards the acoustic or reflective end of things. Piling on the vocal acrobatics or making a louder guitar-heavy version doesn't necessarily make it better than a quieter, shorter original.
 
Sister Ray by VU - Joy Division
Paint it Black by The Rolling Stones - W.A.S.P.
King of Twilight by Nektar - Iron Maiden
Dazed and Confused by whoever Zeppelin stole it from/Zeppelin - "Dazed and Chinese" by Bongwater
 
Phil Collins' cover of The Supremes' "You Cn't Hurry Love"


Uhhhh... no! Not to this person. :D

I'm a Phil Collins fan. IMO his version of Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me on Quincy Jones' Q's Juke Joint is one of the best I've ever heard. :)
 
How about Herbie Hancock's version of Prince's Thieves In The Temple on The New Standard. (CD: Verve 314 529 584-2).
 
Enter Sandman - Pat Boone (Metallica), Honky Tonk Man - Dwight Yoakam (Johnny Horton), Rusty Cage - Johnny Cash (Soundgarden) of the top of my head. I used to think the originals were always the best, but have sinnce ran into many covers that are fantastic. Some I didn't even know were covers like Black Betty by Ram Jam.

Enter Sandman by Toya and Robert not only sounds great, but, uh, is visually nice too...

 
Back
Top Bottom