• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Crosley turntables

I will be able to let you know once I get mine back together. Mine had all the mods except for the Technics TA tube and sounded great. Still need to get it put back together after having the tubed swapped
 
It looks like I can get an AR TT on E-bay for not much more and I really like those. Plenty of people love them. I know it's used and a whole different ball game.
The AR XA model? If yes then you want to have a peek at the guts. The cast aluminum sub chasis is obvious and one motor configuration is also pretty easy to see.

The plastic headshell is fine as long as you push it in all the way before turning the "thingy" to tighten it. If you try to suck it into the tonearm with the thingy it strips the plastic threads on the headshell.

Edit: the thingy is the collar I believe
 
The AR XA model? If yes then you want to have a peek at the guts. The cast aluminum sub chasis is obvious and one motor configuration is also pretty easy to see.

The plastic headshell is fine as long as you push it in all the way before turning the "thingy" to tighten it. If you try to suck it into the tonearm with the thingy it strips the plastic threads on the headshell.

Edit: the thingy is the collar I believe
Thanks I will make sure they have detailed pix. I will probably buy online. I am pretty isolated in the northern hinterlands.
 
I was 9 yrs old in 76. LOL!
I was 11, and I forgot it was actually given to in 75 and I was still 9, one month before my b-day. Also got a Sansui 350a and KLH-17 @ the same time, hand me downs from an uncle that is only 5 yrs older than I am.

My oldest daughter (33) has the Sansui and KLH's.
 
Last edited:
I was 11, and I forgot it was actually given to in 75 and I was still 9, one month before my b-day. Also got a Sansui 350a and KLH-17 @ the same time, hand me downs from an uncle that is only 5 yrs older than I am.

My oldest daughter (33) has the Sansui and KLH's.
You are a lucky man. I had complete crap until I was well into my 20's
 
Thanks I will make sure they have detailed pix. I will probably buy online. I am pretty isolated in the northern hinterlands.

Here is what the 2 motor stamped steel sub chasis looks like: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ar-xa-turntable-two-motors-opinions.789618/

Here is what an aluminum sub chasis with 1 motor looks like:https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?32165-AR-XB-Turntable/page2

Edit: the second link looks to be an AR XB, but the AR XA will look very similar. Just ficus on the diff between steel and aluminum
 
You are a lucky man. I had complete crap until I was well into my 20's

My middle son has my AR XA along with a pristine still in box pair of NOS Infinity RS-325 I gave him.

My oldest son my first system along with the Canton Plus S and matching Plus C sub.
15152992210561238678307.jpg

My youngest my Pioneer SX-1010 and Klipsch KG-3.2.
20220125_222342.jpg

images (7).jpeg

Aren't they the lucky sonsabitches lol
 
Did a quick AK search appears UTurn had a few complaints early on in production re motor noise and in typical fashion UTurn replaced the motors, didn't appear to be a widespread problem. If I remember reading right the motor was the only part sourced from China. That aside I wouldn't touch any table with a 10 foot pole that had the Crosley name on it.
 
Did a quick AK search appears UTurn had a few complaints early on in production re motor noise and in typical fashion UTurn replaced the motors, didn't appear to be a widespread problem. If I remember reading right the motor was the only part sourced from China. That aside I wouldn't touch any table with a 10 foot pole that had the Crosley name on it.
Yea,I have mine adjusted to play 78's and it works rather well for that. I just had to buy a different stylus.
 
Love that Lafayette set up. Watts ?
Looks like LA-975. Was around in 1974/75. Made main catalog in 1975. 4-Channel was dying so we really cut the sell price on this one. I think we finally cleared them out at either $100 or $110.

Laf-LA975.jpg
 
Yea,I have mine adjusted to play 78's and it works rather well for that. I just had to buy a different stylus.
Come to find out my crosley is a Fluance rt-82 with a music hall arm. I have just mounted a shure VST lll on it with a cheap nude stylus and it sounds awesome with my cheap Klipsch speakers. Thank you Hambone!
 
Looks like LA-975. Was around in 1974/75. Made main catalog in 1975. 4-Channel was dying so we really cut the sell price on this one. I think we finally cleared them out at either $100 or $110.

View attachment 2761513

It's been many moons but I believe I paid $100 and another $60 for the pictured tuner. Also purchased a Dual TT and some 10" 3/ways both of which I can't remember model or even brand for the speakers.

I was 18 just moved away from home so pretty schveet for a first system for what I could afford at the time, it rocked a ton of parties.
 
It's been many moons but I believe I paid $100 and another $60 for the pictured tuner. Also purchased a Dual TT and some 10" 3/ways both of which I can't remember model or even brand for the speakers.

I was 18 just moved away from home so pretty schveet for a first system for what I could afford at the time, it rocked a ton of parties.
Amazing, a guy that sold them new responded. AK is just a wonderful resource!:deal::)
 
Back
Top Bottom