• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CROSSOVER CAPACITOR QUESTION ?

Bennic NPE caps were very good, but no one seem to carry (manufacture) those any longer. So, there's Mundorf E-Caps, Jantzen Premium Elkos, Erse NPE's sold direct, and the M.D.L. brand sold by Parts Express, Madisound, Parts Connexion, and Jantzen.

Are all those brands NPE, and if so, what’s the difference between them and traditional NPE caps? As far as construction goes.

Do they not have all the disadvantages of the traditional NPE?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a poly cap fan, I just see these other NPE caps recommenced over regular NPE caps, and wonder what the difference is, besides cost
 
For someone trying to maintain the original voicing of a speaker that used NPE caps, what are the options then?

Hmmm. What is this mysterious, magickal, and holy "voicing" of which you speak, and which must not be disturbed lest the dragons again return to plague us?

Oh, riiiiiiiight. You mean "the original distortion imposed by the bean counters in order to make the product at a lower price-point"?

Ahhh, yes, that "voicing".

When better capacitors and inductors are installed one starts hearing reproduction sound in the source material with greater volume and clarity, because it is no longer muffled by degraded capacitors. This can be disturbing as one suddenly hears midrange and treble which was formerly inaudible. If the treble is now too bright, add an L-pad to attenuate it to a desirable level.

The design engineers never intended for the lowest quality, and thus least expensive, components to be used. Potentiometers were used substituted for L-pads, with the result that the crossover point shifted.

I remove cored inductors and NPE capacitors whenever I find them in a crossover. Others may prefer the muffled sound because it is more familiar to them. It's like upgrading a mattress. Fields strange at first, then becomes the new baseline.
 
Are all those brands NPE, and if so, what’s the difference between them and traditional NPE caps? As far as construction goes. Do they not have all the disadvantages of the traditional NPE? Don’t get me wrong, I’m a poly cap fan, I just see these other NPE caps recommenced over regular NPE caps, and wonder what the difference is, besides cost

Audio fetishism. If an audio product costs more and claims more, then it must be better. If it permits bragging rights, then it must be better. If it gives owners without technical backgrounds something to upgrade, feel special about, and then talk about, then it is the bestest ever. This creates cults which drink the Flavor Aid. Mmmmm-mmmmm. Sure tastes good! NPE grape with extra cyanide is my favorite!

Yet, for the fact-based reasons I above set forth, it is impossible for an electrolytic to not distort. I've clearly explained why and in gory detail. The speed of ion movement, and the resistance into the channels, simply cannot change because the manufacturer decrees that some tweak to the foil construction or to the lead attachment has created a magickal electrolytic capacitor with amazing new properties. I routinely ask the boutique fanatics to explain where I am wrong and why, and to provide response charts. Nobody can do it.

I just looked up (insert name of major boutique manufacturer starting with M, you know which one) to confirm that frequency response charts for electrolytics (or indeed any of the other capacitors) are still not included in the catalog. Ha! Of course not! Neither are any specifications like DA, DF, etc present.. Just totally missing from the datasheet. Hmmmm. Why? All I see are physical dimensions. Uh-huh. I know why that is.

Every major manufacturer selling electrolytics has such charts as part of the datasheets and catalogs. Cornell-Dubilier. TDK. Panasonic. Kemet. Elfa. Go look. You'll find them. You'll find detailed explanations about this behavior. As I above quoted.

Yet the boutique manufacturers do not ever mention it. It is as if it such properties of capacitors do not even exist or are so trivial they need not ever be mentioned! Most curious!

Try requesting any of this data from a boutique manufacturer. Ha! You'll get nowhere. (I tried this a few years back. The hostility was palpable. "We don't have that data, we trust our ears." Really? Oh, sure, because a simple chart of capacitance dropping like a stone doesn't really sound that way in practice. Uh-huh.)

Using capacitors with poor performance above 1k Hz into a midrange or tweeter crossover is done only to save money. Electrolytics, including non-polars, are sloooooow and cause distortion above about 1k Hz because the capacitance falls as frequency rises. That's just a fact. Analog electrical engineers know this. Power supply designers know this. Yet boutique audio people do not know this or refuse to accept it.
 
Are all those brands NPE, and if so, what’s the difference between them and traditional NPE caps? As far as construction goes.

Do they not have all the disadvantages of the traditional NPE?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a poly cap fan, I just see these other NPE caps recommenced over regular NPE caps, and wonder what the difference is, besides cost

Of the axial NPE capacitor, there seems to be only a few different manufacturers making the different brands. The same German company makes the Mundorf E-Caps and the Jantzen Premium Elko caps. A Taiwanese company makes the M.D.L. brands resold by many, and Erse makes their own caps internally.

Of the NPE brands I've tried, I like Mundorf best, followed by M.D.L. But, I generally only use electrolytic caps for parallel shunt values. I use film caps for series values. Due to size, if I have to use a series NPE, I always add a film bypass cap to it, to improve it's sound quality. Not everyone agree's with the use of bypass caps. I like them, so I use them.

As far as manufacturing differences, I haven't a clue. I assume all electrolytic caps exhibit the same construction needs, so I buy brands that publish specs and offer tight tolerances. Mundorf does, which is why I started using them. They sound good, and are reliable, which is why I continue to use them. That simple for me. :)
 
Bennic NPE caps were very good, but no one seem to carry (manufacture) those any longer. So, there's Mundorf E-Caps, Jantzen Premium Elkos, Erse NPE's sold direct, and the M.D.L. brand sold by Parts Express, Madisound, Parts Connexion, and Jantzen.


Thought I saw Dayton caps from Parts-express where Bennics? Or maybe it was Solens?
Some "name" brand company makes the Dayton caps.
 
Last edited:
Hmmm. What is this mysterious, magickal, and holy "voicing" of which you speak, and which must not be disturbed lest the dragons again return to plague us?

Oh, riiiiiiiight. You mean "the original distortion imposed by the bean counters in order to make the product at a lower price-point"?

Ahhh, yes, that "voicing".

When better capacitors and inductors are installed one starts hearing reproduction sound in the source material with greater volume and clarity, because it is no longer muffled by degraded capacitors. This can be disturbing as one suddenly hears midrange and treble which was formerly inaudible. If the treble is now too bright, add an L-pad to attenuate it to a desirable level.

The design engineers never intended for the lowest quality, and thus least expensive, components to be used. Potentiometers were used substituted for L-pads, with the result that the crossover point shifted.

I remove cored inductors and NPE capacitors whenever I find them in a crossover. Others may prefer the muffled sound because it is more familiar to them. It's like upgrading a mattress. Fields strange at first, then becomes the new baseline.
The only problem here is that some crossovers are designed with parts in mind. KEFs 104/2 conjugate loading crossovers come to mind. Yes, you can definitely replace NPEs with polys or films, but you may disrupt the balance of the speaker which the engineer set, using the parts he was given. Now, this isn't every speaker out there - but a spendy speaker design? Sure, I'd expect the engineer to consider NPEs in the equation if they were mass producing them with NPEs. Adding an L-Pad sounds easy, but actually, it is not. You must find a place to mount it or make it accessible while tuning the speaker. Oh yes, if you meant it is easy to wire in.. I agree with that. However, in many cases, it's a better investment to replace NPEs with NPEs. We're not talking about building speakers here - we're talking about refurbishing pre-made ones. If from scratch, of course you would use polys, budget allowing. But having to modify a speaker beyond simply replacing capacitors may not be a feasible option for many, and probably doesn't make sense in a lot of cases.

Also, it's not like speakers with NPEs sound bad. As flawed a product they are, they do their job. For the average hobbyist out there, many would be perfectly happy using them. A lot of people get hung up on the "grass is always greener" aspect of this hobby and honestly, it's not always worth it, especially when it comes to modifying crossovers.
 
Last edited:
Thought I saw Dayton caps from Parts-express where Bennics? Or maybe it was Solens?
Some "name" brand company makes the Dayton caps.

Bennic is said to make the Dayton 1% and 5% poly caps. PE resells the M.D.L. NPE caps. Also, the same German manufacturer makes the Mundorf E-Caps and the Jantzen Premium Elko NPE caps. Both companies make their poly caps in-house.
 
The only problem here is that some crossovers are designed with parts in mind.

That is impossible and also not true. We've had this discussion numerous times, I believe, and no one making these claims ever has any proof, in terms of certain circuit modifications which would even suggest such changes. It's just erroneous audio dogma.

As I previously set forth in this thread, using plots and data from the capacitor manufacturer, and which you could independently verify, the electrolytic's capacitance varies with frequency, so the crossover cannot, by definition, properly function with electrolytics. Simply cannot and trying to fix this limitation is impossible. Bypassing is an attempt, but it cannot overcome the limitations.

As I previously wrote on that subject:

Once the oats have been through the horse it is generally impossible to reverse the process.

I do not know of any crossover ever made which compensated for electrolytic rolloff. Why would one? It's like the Lady from Philadelpha dealing with Mrs. Peterkin after she'd added salt to her coffee instead of sugar.*

* For those of you whose childhood did not include this story, here it is for your education and entertainment.
"The Lady Who Put Salt in her Coffee", The Peterkin Papers by Lucretia P. Hale. (1886; 2nd edition)
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/hale/papers/salt.html

This was Mrs. Peterkin. It was a mistake. She had poured out a delicious cup of coffee, and, just as she was helping herself to cream, she found she had put in salt instead of sugar! It tasted bad. What should she do? Of course she couldn't drink the coffee; so she called in the family, for she was sitting at a late breakfast all alone. The family came in; they all tasted, and looked, and wondered what should be done, and all sat down to think.​

KEFs 104/2 conjugate loading crossovers come to mind.

Sigh.

I think you've been reading too much propaganda about those, as I see plenty of it. What KEF did was simple enough: add impedance compensation for the driver to prevent rise in impedance with frequency. The compensation is not, and could not be, to adjust for poor-quality crossover components, including electrolytics or ferrite-core inductors. That is not what the "conjugate impedance compensation" — a five-dollar marketing sales name for the venerable Zobel network combined with an LCR resonance flattener — does.

Really. Think about this. How does taming a rise in driver impedance modify or compensate for the poor properties of electrolytics?

What could it do? It somehow increases capacitance with frequency? But the network does impedance compensation, not capacitance compensation.

I have seen much mythology about these complex crossovers, which is then oft-repeated until it has the force of dogma, but it simply is not correct and cannot be correct for the reasons I above set forth. Every major capacitor manufacturer sets forth the substantial limitations of electrolytics.

The KEF crossover, furthermore, is very complex (I deliberately use that word) being a third-order with piles of impedance compensation, much of which is to fix the filter's ringing and overshoot in the pass-band and stop-band. The analysis is beyond the scope of this rebuttal, and nothing interesting falls out of it. But I will say that adding more stages to the crossover creates distortion via phase shift (delay in time) and group delay (uneven delay by frequency). Is this distortion audible? I would say that depends upon the sophistication of one's listening, and whether or not one cares. Simple first-order crossovers are used for a reason.

Yes, you can definitely replace NPEs with polys or films, but you may disrupt the balance of the speaker which the engineer set, using the parts he was given. Now, this isn't every speaker out there - but a spendy speaker design? Sure, I'd expect the engineer to consider NPEs in the equation if they were mass producing them with NPEs. [...] However, in many cases, it's a better investment to replace NPEs with NPEs.

I have previously explained in this thread, and elsewhere, why electrolytics are unsuitable for filters.

Any such use creates a degraded filter and it is impossible to compensate for that. Bypassing is one approach, but that's lipstick on the pig.

Adding an L-Pad sounds easy, but actually, it is not. You must find a place to mount it or make it accessible while tuning the speaker. Oh yes, if you meant it is easy to wire in.. I agree with that.

I understand your point, but let's take a step back on this. We both, I believe, agree that addition of the L-pad is trivial from a conceptual standpoint, i.e. the need to balance the tweeter against the midrange and woofer as a theoretical concept. The issue is the practical: hooking up wires to the driver.

I would argue that anyone able to replace crossover capacitors surely ought to be able to add an L-pad. But, at the same time, anyone not able to perform such modification should either (a) not be rebuilding crossovers, or (b) should obtain assistance. It really isn't very hard.

We're not talking about building speakers here - we're talking about refurbishing pre-made ones. If from scratch, of course you would use polys, budget allowing. But having to modify a speaker beyond simply replacing capacitors may not be a feasible option for many, and probably doesn't make sense in a lot of cases.

In a situation where hobbyists replace degraded surrounds, upgrade degraded capacitors, and even swap cored inductors for air cores, I don't think any of these upgrades are unreasonable.

If one is going to upgrade the crossover then adding an L-pad is the sensible option. It is easy enough to find the requisite assistance with such a project if the owner lacks it.

Also, it's not like speakers with NPEs sound bad. As flawed a product they are, they do their job. For the average hobbyist out there, many would be perfectly happy using them. A lot of people get hung up on the "grass is always greener" aspect of this hobby and honestly, it's not always worth it, especially when it comes to modifying crossovers.

That is a different argument.

As long as a replacement is being made, the superior decision is to install polypropylene capacitors with excellent properties instead of using electrolytics with terrible ones, plus a short lifespan. This is not being "hung up", it is understanding the limitations of components and the concomitant degradation of sound from using unsuitable ones.

The difference in switching to bypassed film capacitors is so obvious — modify one speaker, play a mono signal, and do an A/B comparison — that the arguments in favor of NPE are obviously seen to be specious and of utterly no value.

Such components were chosen to meet a specific price point. Same reason why lower-quality resistors and capacitors are used in amplifiers. Capitalism and all that. We, as hobbyists, can undo those decisions and build a circuit closer to the ideal performance than what we currently have.

I understand that most commodity speakers sound sort of ok with poor components (electrolytic capacitors, cored inductors), non-chamfered baffles, no time-alignment for drivers, no impedance compensation, poor cabinet lining, cabinets which are too thin and resonate, etc. etc. etc. And that owners simply do not care.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't suggest how to fix those limitations for those who do care. Such changes may take a commodity speaker and kick it into an entirely new realm of performance. Doing an A/B comparison between speakers reveals the difference.

Particularly when the original reason for those poor component choices was fabricating a speaker for a specific price-point, not because those abysmal choices were purportedly made for sonic bliss, a claim which cannot be verified in practice.

We have better options since we are only building one pair of speakers, not a hundred thousand, or a million. Always good to have options like that.
 
Here is what Self wrote on the subject of impedance compensation:
The Design of Active Crossovers
Douglas Self
2011

When a passive crossover is designed, it is absolutely not permissible to treat a drive unit as if its impedance was simply that of an 8 Ω resistor. The peaky impedance rise at resonance, and the gentler rise at HF due to the voice coil inductance have to be taken into account to get even halfway acceptable results. This naturally complicates the filter design process considerably, and one way of dealing with this is to attempt to compensate for these impedance variations by placing across the drive unit terminals a series-resonant LCR circuit (to cancel the resonance peak) and an RC Zobel network (to cancel the voice coil inductance rise) [5]. This means there are at least five more components associated with just one drive unit, and they all have to be big enough to cope with large signals. There may also be changes in impedance due to changes in acoustic loading across the drive unit’s passband. In an active crossover system the drive unit is simply connected directly to its power amplifier, and assuming that amplifier has an adequate ability to drive reactive loads, the details of the drive unit impedance curve can be ignored.
​
A few comments from Self, in the same book as long as I had it open, on the subject of electrolytic capacitors:
The Design of Active Crossovers
Douglas Self
2011

The tolerance of non-electrolytic capacitors is usually in the range ±1% to ±10%; anything more accurate than this tends to be very expensive. Electrolytic capacitors used to have much wider tolerances, but things have recently improved and ±20% is now common. This is still wider than any other component you are likely to use in a crossover, but this is not a problem, for as described below, it is most unwise to try to define frequencies or time-constants with electrolytic capacitors.

...

Dielectric absorption is a well known effect; take a large electrolytic, charge it up, and then fully discharge it. Over a few minutes the charge will partially reappear. This “memory effect” also occurs in non-electrolytics to a lesser degree; it is a property of the dielectric, and is minimised by using polystyrene, polypropylene, NPO ceramic, or PTFE dielectrics. Dielectric absorption is invariably modelled by adding extra resistors and capacitances to an ideal main capacitor, as shown in Figure 12.7 for a 1 uF polystyrene capacitor. Note there is no hint of any source of non-linearity [8]. However, the dielectric absorption mechanism does seem to have some connection with capacitor distortion, since the dielectrics that show the least dielectric absorption also show the lowest non-linearity.

...

My view is that electrolytics should never, ever, under any circumstances, be used to set time-constants in audio. There should be a time-constant early in the signal path, based on a non-electrolytic capacitor, that determines the lower limit of the system bandwidth; preferably proper bandwidth definition should be implemented with a subsonic filter. All the electrolytic-based time-constants should be much longer so that the electrolytic capacitors can never have significant signal voltages across them and so never generate detectable distortion. Electrolytics have large tolerances, and cannot be used to set accurate time-constants anyway.

​
 
I was with you till that last quote; I don't follow what a 'time constant' is and how a capacitor establishes it. But it's not essential to the discussion. Just letting you know you've gone over some heads. :)

Completely aside from "changing capacitance with frequency" is the generally higher ESR of electrolytics. I assumed, and perhaps wrongly, that the issue of incorporating the capacitor into the design had to do with the presumably lower output of the driver due to ESR. And that replacement with film would, for example, make for a brighter tweeter. Not that I disagree with any of your argument above, rather, simply speculating on what the earlier poster might have been referring to when he said crossovers are designed for the components used. If there was an extra 1 ohm of impedance due to bean counters changing a film cap to an NPE, maybe the padding resistor would have been reduced by one ohm to compensate. :dunno:
 
I've been reading a thread, at another site, concerning the upgrade of an older, but well regarded pair of audiophile speakers. A former Stereophile Recommended speaker, that retailed for $13K a pair. The internal crossover was well executed, but basic. Inexpensive Poly caps, iron core inductors, and sand cast resistors. Maybe a $100 crossover in the design. Disappointing, considering the expense of the speakers, and the reputation of the brand. So, I guess 'bean-counters' exist at all levels of the game.

Oh, the owner totally rebuilt everything inside the cabinets. Separate crossover boards for tweeter, mid and woofer. All state of the art components. A $3500 expenditure on parts alone. But, the owner was happy with the results. Who am I to complain? I would, if I could. :)
 
I was with you till that last quote; I don't follow what a 'time constant' is and how a capacitor establishes it. But it's not essential to the discussion. Just letting you know you've gone over some heads.

Filters have time constants. Time and frequency are inverses of each other:
f = 1 / t
t = 1 / f​

Completely aside from "changing capacitance with frequency" is the generally higher ESR of electrolytics. I assumed, and perhaps wrongly, that the issue of incorporating the capacitor into the design had to do with the presumably lower output of the driver due to ESR. And that replacement with film would, for example, make for a brighter tweeter. Not that I disagree with any of your argument above, rather, simply speculating on what the earlier poster might have been referring to when he said crossovers are designed for the components used. If there was an extra 1 ohm of impedance due to bean counters changing a film cap to an NPE, maybe the padding resistor would have been reduced by one ohm to compensate.

The drop in capacitance is semi-linear with frequency. How could a resistor compensate for that? It cannot.

The reduction in capacitance shifts the crossover point. The smaller the capacitor, the higher the crossover point (Fc).

Beyond that, using components with non-linear impedance will non-linearly increase losses, i.e. lower the Q, in the pass-band, i.e. non-linear distortion.
.
An L-pad always is the best solution for balancing drivers, instead of relying on resistance which continually increases with age as the capacitor deteriorates with the passage of time.
 
Oh, the owner totally rebuilt everything inside the cabinets. Separate crossover boards for tweeter, mid and woofer. All state of the art components. A $3500 expenditure on parts alone.

Yeah, agreed, a lot of foolishness certainly does exists at the high end. More money than sense or knowledge.

For hobbyist rebuilds, however, constructing a pair of traditional three-way crossover (low-pass woofer at 800 Hz, band-pass midrange from 800 to 2,500 Hz, and high-pass tweeter at 2,500) using low-gauge, air-core inductors (14 gauge) with fully-bypassed polypropylene capacitors built from smaller values would not cost more than $100, maybe $150 delivered. Adding sophisticated impedance compensation with quality inductors might, at worst, double that. For a spectacular crossover.

It is only when the rebuilder moves to esoteric boutique components — air-core copper-foil inductors wound on unicorn horns using copper salvaged from the Flying Dutchman and copper-foil capacitors assembled in the Black Forest by Elves — that the price increases to the stratospheric levels, notably without audible sonic improvement.
 
That is impossible and also not true. We've had this discussion numerous times, I believe, and no one making these claims ever has any proof, in terms of certain circuit modifications which would even suggest such changes. It's just erroneous audio dogma.

As I previously set forth in this thread, using plots and data from the capacitor manufacturer, and which you could independently verify, the electrolytic's capacitance varies with frequency, so the crossover cannot, by definition, properly function with electrolytics. Simply cannot and trying to fix this limitation is impossible. Bypassing is an attempt, but it cannot overcome the limitations. . . .

My recollection of engineers keeping in mind the parts they must use when designing crossovers came from Andrew Jones. He has stated himself that he considers the types of parts that go into crossovers when designing them, because bean counting on a mass produced product is common and he wants his product to sound superb. He also repeated a lot of the wisdom that I've stated regarding NPEs. As someone who actually designs crossovers, I would trust his information over yours, since that is the subject of what we are discussing. If I can find the quotation from him about this, I will provide it. It was a statement he made on Facebook quite a few years ago, so it might be a challenge, but it is out there.

As for the 104/2s, I was told by engineers who helped work on the project that the NPEs had to be taken into account for the crossover design. How? I don't know. But I was told replacing them with film capacitors was a bad idea, and would render the circuit to operate differently. Again - I don't really know if this is true or not. But, my experience told me that replacing them with NPEs was the way to go because the cost of going with film was far, far more, and also carried the potential of actually altering the design in a negative way. I've had this experience with other speakers (and I am not the only one), where replacing electrolytics with film capacitors resulted in worse sound. You stated earlier in this thread that it's because of hearing new details that were previously hidden, but in my experience, it was strictly an imbalance in volume between the drivers. The tests I did at the time with REW confirmed that. After putting NPEs in (this was for Celestion 66s, if you're curious), the speakers sounded much better. Why? I don't know (probably ESR). But the results were immediate and difficult to argue with.

Again, I would be more apt to trust those who were close to the product in question. Also, when I did the recap on the 104/2s, I was very pleased with the results after. My point here is that you paint this picture of NPEs being fundamentally broken products, but that isn't quite accurate. They do work. Maybe less than ideally, but they do. I don't think it's fair to say that all NPEs should be replaced with film/mylars in every situation. Perhaps I've misunderstood, but that's the message I got, and I don't agree with that.

However, I also have a lot of my own personal experience, where I've found replacing like for like components is the most consistent and surefire way to have a resultant improvement in sound with refurbishing. Regardless of the technicalities, it's difficult to argue with results.

And that's my point. Yes, science is important. Acoustics, electronic theory, etc., all of that is very important. But enjoyment of sound trumps that, because we do not decide what kind of music or sound we like when we're born. It chooses us, and that sound could come from any variation of components with any variation of parts. Furthermore. it's not always cost effective to replace NPEs with film or mylar capacitors and to suggest that doing so is actually the wrong thing to do, is not really good advice. I say this in the context of refurbishing already made speakers, not building new ones, because that is a more relevant discussion to this forum. I can't agree that you should just replace every single NPE you come across, for both cost and sonic reasons.

Anyway, I suspect we will not agree on this, so we can leave it here if you wish.
 
You are correct, most NPEs designed for crossovers have .3 to .5 ohm ESR
so they are more like a good cap with a series resistor. This is easy to include
in the design of the crossover and in some locations it can be very important
not to drive the ESR to nearly zero with a film cap.
Really cheap NPE's not really intended for crossovers can have much higher
ESR of 1 ohm or more.
 
My recollection of engineers keeping in mind the parts they must use when designing crossovers came from Andrew Jones. He has stated himself that he considers the types of parts that go into crossovers when designing them, because bean counting on a mass produced product is common and he wants his product to sound superb. He also repeated a lot of the wisdom that I've stated regarding NPEs. As someone who actually designs crossovers, I would trust his information over yours, since that is the subject of what we are discussing. If I can find the quotation from him about this, I will provide it. It was a statement he made on Facebook quite a few years ago, so it might be a challenge, but it is out there.

One critical issue to bear in mind is that no engineer will either speak against the company and say the design choices made by bean counters were not merely sub-optimal, but misguided, or deprecate their own work. That is a ticket to the unemployment line. Instead, the company's marketing propaganda is to turn every poor choice into an opportunity to crow a superior decision being made.

Having written that, I again tried to locate this interview, as I have in the past. No such luck. My google-fu is might, but I can turn up no such statement. Do you have a link to it?

A myriad of extensive searches, including but not limited to, such terms as:
"Andrew Jones" "kef" "crossover" "NPE"
"Andrew Jones" "crossover" "NPE"
"Andrew Jones" "crossover" "electrolytic"
​
only turn up your postings.

Ok, I'll see what I can find from the ESR serving as an attenuator. Which, as I above set forth, is likely better accounted for using an L-pad.

Right. So I searched for NPE to film substitutions in KEF speakers and found some confirmation that the tweeter SPL increases:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/244293-kef-concerto-crossover-rebuild-post3683291.html

I updated the crossovers on Kef 104'4, Concerto's and on the 101/2 some time ago. I discussed with Kef ( they were still around then ) the possibility of replacing the electrolytic capacitors in the mid and treble sections with plastic capacitors. Kef replied that the Kef crossover calculations took account of the electrolytic capacitors series resistence and good electrolytics were recomended by Kef as the replacements. If I changed from electrolytic to plastic capacitor then I was advised to add a resistor in series with each changed capacitor. The value being 1 ohm per 10uf of capacitor. I did that and it worked well. If you do not include the extra resistors I imagine you will change the crossover frequency/profile.​

And on the KEF forum:
http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/sp...p?p=4142&sid=c940bda38540f9019e652642e4cf103a

By all means change the tweeter capacitors to non-electrolytic types. They are more reliable. However you will be losing up to 1 Ohm of equivalent series resistance, which had all been factored into the original design, so you should either put in extra series resistors or you'll have to live with a small but significant increase in tweeter level.​


But here's the problem I keep coming back to. The claims are that new NPEs sound the same as the original. That is unlikely. The ESR for the NPEs when those speakers were built was normally in the range of, oh, about 1 Ω to 2 Ω; modern electrolytics are far lower because of improvements.

So the above statement about 1 Ω per µF confirms my supposition that the impedance will have changed.

I am generally suspicious that using a modern capacitor at say, 0.25 Ω to 0.5 Ω is going to be the same "voicing" as the original.

But, still, suppose that the volume was optimized for Rnpe. The fix would be a small series resistor, typically a few Ω. That would eliminate all of the distortion of the electrolytic and the peculiar frequency shift with frequency, worse in the midrange, and maintain the volume.

As for the 104/2s, I was told by engineers who helped work on the project that the NPEs had to be taken into account for the crossover design. How? I don't know. But I was told replacing them with film capacitors was a bad idea, and would render the circuit to operate differently. Again - I don't really know if this is true or not. But, my experience told me that replacing them with NPEs was the way to go because the cost of going with film was far, far more, and also carried the potential of actually altering the design in a negative way. I've had this experience with other speakers (and I am not the only one), where replacing electrolytics with film capacitors resulted in worse sound. You stated earlier in this thread that it's because of hearing new details that were previously hidden, but in my experience, it was strictly an imbalance in volume between the drivers. The tests I did at the time with REW confirmed that. After putting NPEs in (this was for Celestion 66s, if you're curious), the speakers sounded much better. Why? I don't know (probably ESR). But the results were immediate and difficult to argue with.

Two issues.

Electrolytics cause muffling of sound in the midrange and tweeter. The clarity difference is audible. The new sound, however, is different. Many times when speakers are upgraded the response is to find too much midrange or treble and then over time re-adjusts. That is because the owner became used to muffled sound.

I know that in dealing with Bozaks junking the high-impedance wax-paper capacitors reveals great clarity formerly hidden.

Again, an L-pad is generally considered the better way to attenuate a driver than series impedance, because of the issue with damping factor. That is most important for a woofer. Far less important for a midrange, and not generally considered to be an issue for a tweeter.

I would have performed an SPL plot and attenuated for a flat response. That could easily be done with additional fixed impedance or an adjustable L-Pad; either way works.

My point here is that you paint this picture of NPEs being fundamentally broken products, but that isn't quite accurate. They do work. Maybe less than ideally, but they do. I don't think it's fair to say that all NPEs should be replaced with film/mylars in every situation. Perhaps I've misunderstood, but that's the message I got, and I don't agree with that.

The capacitance falls of with frequency above 1k Hz! Look at the charts I included! From Cornell-Dubilier! It's not ME making up such plots, it is the MANUFACTURER!

Electrolytic capacitors are inherently defective.

The only virtue is low cost and small size for filtering in power supplies, and they don't even do that particularly well, which is why bypassing using smaller capacitors is required to improve the frequency response. I've included the manufacturer data and charts, and Doug Self's scholarly work.
 
You are correct, most NPEs designed for crossovers have .3 to .5 ohm ESR so they are more like a good cap with a series resistor. This is easy to include in the design of the crossover and in some locations it can be very important not to drive the ESR to nearly zero with a film cap. Really cheap NPE's not really intended for crossovers can have much higher ESR of 1 ohm or more.

Exactly!

You'd posted that, BTW, while I was writing the above.

But, exactly. The older electrolytics and NPEs were terrible capacitors. Up until, what about twenty years ago? Modern technology is just amazing.

So a modern NPE is likely to have lower ESR than the original, so not an apples-to-apples replacement.
 
No, modern NPE s intended for the same application also have similar ESR. I do
not read your long posts where you try to force your opinions on others and mis-apply
"facts" from other "experts".
 
If anyone doesn't want to be convinced quite as much as Retro wants to write (saying that with a smile), remember these threads become reference material for future researchers.
 
Back
Top Bottom