• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Crown Amps, the hype is real!

So I ordered one of the XLI1500s on amazon while on sale. Turns out they send you a 120V version since I ordered in the US. Just got it hooked up yesterday and will be "breaking it in" for a bit.

Whats the best way to set the gains? I am using my Denon avr as my preout and using this crown amp for my L&R.
I was thinking setting the Denon to 0DB on the volume knob, then slowly turn the gains up on the crown until the max volume I want to hear at that level is.
Or should I use the pink noise method and set 0db to 85db and adjust the gain that way?

I am used to using integrated amps.

dont forget there is a setting to change the sensitivity on the crown from 0.775 or 1.4 volts input.
 
I have to disagree with him on one point, and he mentioned it twice.
If those are the same speaker connections as on my XLS 2000 (the previous model line), he says they only take bare wire.
I've used pins, bananas (remove each center plug on the speaker connections), and spades (maybe not all spades will work, mine did).
I've used almost everything but bare wire.
 
@goodolpg


You are correct... It was pointed out many times in the comment section

Also , I like the Speakon outputs. Some have reported better connection with better SQ using them
 
@goodolpg


You are correct... It was pointed out many times in the comment section

Also , I like the Speakon outputs. Some have reported better connection with better SQ using them

I had to go run some errands so I paused the video right after he said it the 2nd time so I didn't make it to the end or read the comments. In fact being an embedded video I'm not sure I can even see the comments here. I might have to go to youtube for that.
Going to finish the video and read the comments now.:)
 
I have to disagree with him on one point, and he mentioned it twice.
If those are the same speaker connections as on my XLS 2000 (the previous model line), he says they only take bare wire.
I've used pins, bananas (remove each center plug on the speaker connections), and spades (maybe not all spades will work, mine did).
I've used almost everything but bare wire.

The same also applies to the two bridged XLS-402's (earlier than your XLS-2000) I use to drive my DIY TL subs.
 
I went to youtube after finishing the video here, yeah, many people commented on the speaker connections accepting options other than bare wire.

I've been quite happy with the Crown.
I did put my Rotel back in the system a few weeks ago. Those two amps have shared time in my main system.
Rotel runs a bit warm so i prefer using it in the winter when some extra heat isn't a bad thing.
May put the Crown back in this summer.
I do have to change the layout depending on which amp I'm using.
The Rotel is much heavier (34 lbs.) so I prefer it on the bottom, the Crown weighing 11 lbs can go on top of another component should I choose to.
I never stack more then 2 pieces of gear and always use spacers of some type for air circulation.
 
Last edited:
Speaking of crown, I brought home a DC300 a few weeks ago. I really didn't expect much out of it in terms of SQ, but I have been very pleasantly surprised by it. This is the older version (pre-a) which I also think is the best looking piece of crown gear I have ever seen.

PXL_20210109_233009917.jpg
PXL_20210109_233044925.jpg
PXL_20210110_025517675.jpg
PXL_20210109_233030572.jpgPXL_20210116_001330592.jpg
 
I agree with the OP. Hype is real, there is hype everywhere, on every channel, on every webpage. We should form a coalition to rid ourselves of hype.

I wonder if we can get it listed as an existential threat?
 

25 minutes of wasted oxygen.

Anybody interested in buying one will already be familiar with the visible features.

Subjective reviews are pointless, all that's left is a bunch of baseless pontificating.

The reviewer doesn't even verify the power/distortion specs with testing, he just says it's good enough to power any speaker, so why worry? Useless.

I'd certainly worry about things like noise spectra, EMI, input sensitivity, power and distortion vs frequency and load, and *how long* it can sustain those numbers. 20Hz continuous sustained into 4R stereo loads isn't going to be anywhere near what it can burst at 1kHz. Is it a reliable subwoofer amp, does it work better for the mid-range, is it well-behaved with flat response on the top end regardless of tweeter impedance?

I'll take the old Crown MacroTech, thank you very much.
 
This thread mystifies me. Crown are mediocre PA amps. Beyond being befuddled why anyone needs PA power in their living room, I don't understand why people think they sound good. The best shows I've ever heard certainly didn't have Crown power behind them.
 
I run a PSA-2XH (eXtended Headroom) made specifically for ShowCo. It has 2 dB more headroom (~60% more power) than the PSA-2 by using the Japanese taps on the transformer and upping the working voltage on the caps.
DSC_00124.JPG


I use it bridged to power my sub (JBL W15GTi) at ~800 WRMS into the 12 ohm load.
I snagged one on tour some years ago.
Unless you have one you never know power , clean rocking, smooth and enough punch to make
tyson shiver.
 
This thread mystifies me. Crown are mediocre PA amps. Beyond being befuddled why anyone needs PA power in their living room, I don't understand why people think they sound good. The best shows I've ever heard certainly didn't have Crown power behind them.
What power was behind the best shows you have heard? Was that because of better sound techs or just the amps?

Curious what speakers you have as I need a couple hundred or more watts for nice listening levels at home.
 
What power was behind the best shows you have heard? Was that because of better sound techs or just the amps?

Curious what speakers you have as I need a couple hundred or more watts for nice listening levels at home.

D&B Audiotechnic was definitely the best rig I've ever heard. It was a massive multichannel rig with arrays flown all over Little Caesar's Arena to produce surround effects all over the place for a Tool show. Part of why Tool went with D&B was because the amps were well featured for doing that kind of rig.

When I think Crown, I think of seedy bars and clubs with live entertainment belting out carelessly mixed music on JBL or EV speakers. Had that experience too many times. I kinda follow what some acts tour with, and I've never heard anyone brag about using Crown amps. D&B, Funktion 1, Meyer Sound, and Nexo all make their own amps for their products, and those are about the only names you see big shows your with.

For speakers I've got a pair of first gen ESS AMT1's in my bedroom and Focal 936's in the listening room. The ESS are powered with either a Marantz 2238B or a 2252. The Focal are powered by 31 watt F5T V1 monoblocks. And no, I don't listen to Kenny G. I listen to Tool, Massive Attack, Bassnectar, Mastodon, Muse, Led Zeppelin, Jane's Addiction, some 80's new wave, and whatever else has an interesting beat. I genuinely don't need more power than those F5T's. I think it's insane that people think they need hundreds of watts for most speakers. There are some that do, but I personally consider that a design failure and stay away from such speakers.
 
Last edited:
.

This thread mystifies me. Crown are mediocre PA amps. Beyond being befuddled why anyone needs PA power in their living room, I don't understand why people think they sound good. The best shows I've ever heard certainly didn't have Crown power behind them.


Thank You for your Input :thumbsup:
 
25 minutes of wasted oxygen.

Anybody interested in buying one will already be familiar with the visible features.

Subjective reviews are pointless, all that's left is a bunch of baseless pontificating.

The reviewer doesn't even verify the power/distortion specs with testing, he just says it's good enough to power any speaker, so why worry? Useless.

I'd certainly worry about things like noise spectra, EMI, input sensitivity, power and distortion vs frequency and load, and *how long* it can sustain those numbers. 20Hz continuous sustained into 4R stereo loads isn't going to be anywhere near what it can burst at 1kHz. Is it a reliable subwoofer amp, does it work better for the mid-range, is it well-behaved with flat response on the top end regardless of tweeter impedance?

I'll take the old Crown MacroTech, thank you very much.
Head over to Audio Science Review, (which I am not a fan of for other reasons, but their measurements are pretty spot on), to get that info. Amir test amps pretty comprehensively. You probably won't get every measurement you can think of, but most of what you asked is available.
 
Back
Top Bottom