• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Curb side!

legal eagle

Sound Hound
It was a hard day at work, as the clients were nothing but dummies, and they were the once getting all the attention :tears:
 

Attachments

  • client 1.jpg
    client 1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 216
  • client 2.jpg
    client 2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 279
Register to hide this ad
It was a slow day, one of those days where I wished I could just stay in bed and do nothing. To top it all off, the interns felt it was time to party, and the secretary let me know exactly what she thinks of me and the tasks she was assigned :sigh:
 

Attachments

  • חנוכה8.jpg
    חנוכה8.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 270
So I packed everything and took the dog for a walk. It was early in the evening, just the time for the garbage trucks to do their damage spilling the garbage juices all over the street. A pile of garbage was just sitting there fermenting, and than I saw it: two unmistakable wood boxes in the rough, so I dragged the surprised dog TO the garbage (where normally it's him doing it to the unwilling me). One quick look at the badge on the grill that said "KEF" was enough, and so was the second look at the back where it said "Chorale" – but the question remained: how do I take it home? The dog is 70 lb of traction, and a quick look up the road confirmed my suspicions: the garbage truck is coming, and in fact it was less than a block away. Camera phones are great.
 

Attachments

  • Kef in the rough.jpg
    Kef in the rough.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 313
So I grabbed one of the boxed that were Strawn there, and threw the speakers in, just when the garbage truck arrived and the driver gave me the look that said "mental illness is hard", "you are a risk to society and perhaps to yourself" and "you are an idiot". The dog protested at the shortned trip, and I'm sure the thought of getting a leg up on the new found treasure crossed his mind, but I managed to prevent the yellow liquid from ruining my day, and I took it (ehh…dragged it) home, ever so happy the wife was not at home. She will never understand.

Once home, I hooked them up to the Sansui AU&TU 4400 just see if they worked – and they did... The next weekend, I cleaned them up and clear coated them. The grills had to be tossed as they were totally rotten, but I managed to salvage the KEF badges. BADGES!? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!!!! Inside by the drivers, there was still a little paper note stating these were built in 1973. Cool .
 

Attachments

  • KEF 2.jpg
    KEF 2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 154
  • kef 1.jpg
    kef 1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 281
As they worked just fine, I didn't feel the need to open them up: I figured why fix it if it ain't broken? However, the surprises were yet to come: as I said, they sung when I hooked them up. However, when I A&Bed the Chorales with the KEF Cresta 2s I had in the home office (now my semi Mancave) I was blown away: the Cresta 2s are an excellent pair of speakers, and not just for their price. They really sound far fuller than their size would suggest. However, when I compared them to the 35 years old Chorales – no contest, hands down, so they replaced the Creata 2s as the home office speakers, and now the Cresta 2s are relegated to the bedroom. The Chorales have a surprisingly good near field soundstage, and although they are placed rather high up and nest to the wall due to room design constraints, they fill the room unbelievably. The sound is, well, how can I describe it? "mature". Perhaps it is the character of the Mcintosh C-28, and perhaps it is the room (probably both), but the sound was very different between the two rooms and systems. The Sansui exhibited very crisp highs I didn't from that speaker, and the Mcintosh just added "THAT" thing that rounds up the sharp highs but does not kill them, while caressing the bass and bringing it out. Man – I just love those speakers.
 

Attachments

  • KEF 1.jpg
    KEF 1.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 111
  • KEF 3.jpg
    KEF 3.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 107
  • KEF 4.jpg
    KEF 4.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 44
  • KEF 5.jpg
    KEF 5.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 35
I'm no wizard with my hands, and I envy people who work magic with their hands - but i thought it'd be cool to dress up a classic British speaker with a classic british coat - so i ordered a new frame instead of the ruined grill, and dressed it up in Burbery...now how cheesy is that?! :yikes::stupid:

It works for me, now the wife is happy too, and that's what counts!:yes::bs:
 

Attachments

  • KEF in the working 2.jpg
    KEF in the working 2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 28
  • KEF in the working 1.jpg
    KEF in the working 1.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 33
nice save

A nice save, just in the nick of time too....
Give the dog a bone, he will forgive all.
Casey
 
Wow, those really cleaned up nicely! I'd never have guessed those same boxes were the ones in the first photo. Great find.

The Chorale is a very nice little bookshelf speaker with the T27 tweeter and B200 Bextrene woofer. I find that Kefs like that do like a good bit of power to drive them though.

Interesting choice on the grill cloth too. :D
 
i remember i used to go garbage hunting to look for stereos,tvs,speakers and any thing else electronic. i would go block to block trying to find old electronics in my neighbor hood, let me remember hmm the things ive goteen from trash in the past are a montgomery ward receiver, a pair of jcpenny floor speakers, a 19 inch sears tv, my sony surround sound receiver. you should go garbage hutning the day before trash day or in the early morning. i do it on those days when i do go garbage hunting
 
The price was right and now you have kick a$$ pair of speakers!!! To hell with the trash snobs. If they can't get dirty then they need to go to Best Buy and buy a pair of KLHs. More for the rest of us. :)
 
The price was right and now you have kick a$$ pair of speakers!!! To hell with the trash snobs. If they can't get dirty then they need to go to Best Buy and buy a pair of KLHs. More for the rest of us. :)

Heh, if those "trash snobs" had ANY idea how much those things were worth, they'd have been face down in that pile of trash too!:D

I'd have kept them though, even though that would make the 3rd pair of vintage KEF speakers in the house...
 
Picking stuff out the rubbish heap is the best form of recycling. No energy and pollution made during it, no wastes...it's just a shame some people who religiously seperate cans and paper turn their noses up at saving something from being thrown into landfill.
 
Can I have the phone number for the one on the right in the first photo? lol

HAHA, dude your a badass dragging speakers around like a homeless person. Sweet job fixing the cabinets, those were pretty rank.

Evan
 
Great score! There's just something about FREE! Maybe it's the rare something for nothing feeling....:thmbsp:

And I'll be nice today and pass on the thousand and one potential jokes about lawyers and dumpster diving!!!!!....:D
 
Back
Top Bottom