• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

CV D9 vs Infinity SM 152

FWIW I agree with Army. CV's of any type or size hurt my ears. Infinity made some really good (killer) speakers. SM's are not even moderately good. Get a pair Klipsch's or JBL's if you want that loud chest thumping sound. Although I'm not a fan of JBL's or Klipsch's, they sound a hell of a lot better than CV's or SM's
 
Hey Army, thanks again for trashing CV and SM speakers. An AUDIOKARMA tradition it seems.

Not to mention bose... Lay off CV guys. I dont go around dissin gear I hate. And I don't plan to... If I dislike certain gear, I keep it to myself :yes:

Rock on guys!
 
Guys, if you're going to jump on the Bose or C-V, etc. bandwagon, you're going to have to accept there's going to be some negative criticism. Just in the same way that those who like full-range drivers, AR's, etc. get it on a regular basis...and by some of you.

That being said, if I have to remove another auction link from this thread, it will be flushed.
 
FWIW I agree with Army. CV's of any type or size hurt my ears. Infinity made some really good (killer) speakers. SM's are not even moderately good. Get a pair Klipsch's or JBL's if you want that loud chest thumping sound. Although I'm not a fan of JBL's or Klipsch's, they sound a hell of a lot better than CV's or SM's

I disagree. On the issue of the SMs for example, they are "studio monitors" one is to presume in terms of design, so in theory offering a somewhat flat response (somewhat free from coloration). "Many inexpensive hi-fi models are designed to make a pleasing sound by deliberately manipulating the frequency response curve of the audio signal they receive. " (Wikipedia, Studio Monitor defined).

Go anywhere to read opinons on the infamous Yamaha NS-10 series "studio monitors", and you will hear a lot of similar polarized rants. I love my SM-122s "AFTER" adjustment/equalization at the speakers and in the electronics (which in my case is a "U" shape curve...or boosted treble and bass...or properly selected DSP). Had the SMs since around 1989, lot's of people have heard them in my various systems, all amazed how well they sound with ALL music (not only rock). Maybe I can dial them in better than some people out there, but I certainly place a lot of kudos on my Yamaha gear used over the years.

Few speakers can touch the larger SMs or CVs in terms of price/value. I recently listened to some modern speakers to decide to buy new or refoam my woofers...and I decided to refoam my woofers. I could not find any of the new CVs to listen to, but I suspect these would have been an excellent low cost / high value alternative in these cases.
 
I have a friend that has Conspiracys from Consensus audio, a Classe CP-700 preamp, Cary 306/200 CD player,Classe' CA-M400 amps, a PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Shunyata Hydra 4, ESP and Audioquest power cords, and Legenburg interconnects and speaker cables....he's a reviewer for the soundstage network, and lives here in Appleton.

and considering the price difference between our set ups, I think the D-9's sound pretty damn good for the money....I don't think anyone is claiming they have next to godly performance...but they ARE certainly an amazing value!
 
...I think the D-9's sound pretty damn good for the money....I don't think anyone is claiming they have next to godly performance...but they ARE certainly an amazing value!

I agree. I just checked some prices for the current CV VE-12F and VE-15F speakers, and I am amazed at what a value they are...

VE-12F...$239/ea. (http://www.shopcerwinvega.com)
VE-15F...$359/ea. (http://www.shopcerwinvega.com)

VE15.jpg

15" 3-Way Tower
The large, 3-way designs with Bass Reflex and 15-inch woofer, respectively, kick out the high volume and articulated bass that have made Cerwin-Vega famous. They’re perfect for everything from the tight definition of mid- and high-frequency rock and jazz to the deep bass of hip-hop and R&B.
• Frequency Response: 26 Hz - 20 kHz
• Peak Power Handling: 400 watts
• Sensitivity (1w/1m): 95 dB
• 5 1/4" Midrange with Fiber Impregnated Cone
• 1 1/4" Treated Silver Mylar Tweeter with Ferro Fluid
• 15" Cast Frame High Excursion Woofer
• Protection: Self Resetting, PTC (tweeter), Fuse (woofer)
• Elegant Black-Ash Enclosure
• Dimensions (HxWxD): 36" x 20.8 " x 16.6"
• Weight: 80 lbs.

VE12.jpg

12" 3-Way Tower
The large, 3-way designs with Bass Reflex and 12-inch woofer, respectively, kick out the high volume and articulated bass that have made Cerwin-Vega famous. They’re perfect for everything from the tight definition of mid- and high-frequency rock and jazz to the deep bass of hip-hop and R&B.
• Frequency Response: 28 Hz - 20 kHz
• Peak Power Handling: 300 watts
• Sensitivity (1w/1m): 93 dB
• 5 1/4" Midrange with Fiber Impregnated Cone
• 1 1/4" Treated Silver Mylar Tweeter with Ferro Fluid
• 12" Cast Frame High Excursion Woofer
• Protection: Self Resetting, PTC (tweeter), Fuse (woofer)
• Elegant Black-Ash Enclosure
• Dimensions (HxWxD): 33” x 16” x 14.1”
• Weight: 51 lbs.
 
what's the big deal with people bashing other people's stuff? I see it all the time, and I still can't understand why. You guys are making me cry over here....:tears:
 
I agree. I just checked some prices for the current CV VE-12F and VE-15F speakers, and I am amazed at what a value they are...

VE-12F...$239/ea. (http://www.shopcerwinvega.com)
VE-15F...$359/ea. (http://www.shopcerwinvega.com)

VE15.jpg

15" 3-Way Tower
The large, 3-way designs with Bass Reflex and 15-inch woofer, respectively, kick out the high volume and articulated bass that have made Cerwin-Vega famous. They’re perfect for everything from the tight definition of mid- and high-frequency rock and jazz to the deep bass of hip-hop and R&B.
• Frequency Response: 26 Hz - 20 kHz
• Peak Power Handling: 400 watts
• Sensitivity (1w/1m): 95 dB
• 5 1/4" Midrange with Fiber Impregnated Cone
• 1 1/4" Treated Silver Mylar Tweeter with Ferro Fluid
• 15" Cast Frame High Excursion Woofer
• Protection: Self Resetting, PTC (tweeter), Fuse (woofer)
• Elegant Black-Ash Enclosure
• Dimensions (HxWxD): 36" x 20.8 " x 16.6"
• Weight: 80 lbs.

VE12.jpg

12" 3-Way Tower
The large, 3-way designs with Bass Reflex and 12-inch woofer, respectively, kick out the high volume and articulated bass that have made Cerwin-Vega famous. They’re perfect for everything from the tight definition of mid- and high-frequency rock and jazz to the deep bass of hip-hop and R&B.
• Frequency Response: 28 Hz - 20 kHz
• Peak Power Handling: 300 watts
• Sensitivity (1w/1m): 93 dB
• 5 1/4" Midrange with Fiber Impregnated Cone
• 1 1/4" Treated Silver Mylar Tweeter with Ferro Fluid
• 12" Cast Frame High Excursion Woofer
• Protection: Self Resetting, PTC (tweeter), Fuse (woofer)
• Elegant Black-Ash Enclosure
• Dimensions (HxWxD): 33” x 16” x 14.1”
• Weight: 51 lbs.

Yeah and their built as well as most speakers in the $1500+ range!.
 
Jbl

Out of curiosity, I checked out JBLs current Home and Pro lines, and they offer some high $$$ big woofer floorstanders that look great for rock.

K2 9800 (MSRP = $15,000/ea)
- Very nice, 15" woofer, excellent specs, way heavy and expensive
K2S9800MG.jpg


1400 ARRAY BG (MSRP = $5,750/ea)
- Interesting design, 14" woofer, excellent specs, very heavy and expensive
1400ARRAYBG.jpg


LSR6332 (approx. $1,500/ea)
- Pro design/quality, 12" woofer, excellent specs
4558188a-d4b5-4e2d-9e97-dcf472ba7585.jpg


AND, IF YOU EVER WIN THE LOTTERY...

JBL Synthesis Project Everest DD66000 3-Way Dual 15in Floorstanding Loudspeaker (MSRP = $30,000/ea)
DD66000EB.jpg
 
Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I feel it necessary. One fella made a comment that refoaming the infinitys to the backside of cone is impossible to do cleanly. Uhhh, yes it is possible to do cleanly, my friend. I do it all the time. Some folks feel it necessary to drag in JBL to a CV vs Infinity fight. JBL's are nice, don't get me wrong, but the prices, IMHO, are in no way cost effective. They do not sound THAT much better than CV's or Infinity's. Since folks want to drag a dog to a cat fight, I'm gonna put a monkey in the grease here, and drag another one in. I'd pick the CV's over Infinitys every time, however, Marantz's HD/DS lines are amazing speakers, with all the muscle and hustle you'd ever need in a residential speaker, being designed by respected engineer Edmond May, whom at one time worked for JBL, I might add. Let me conclude, that D9 have been a favorite of mine since dragging a pair home in 1987 when I was 16 years old. Another thing I notice is that nobody even mentioned anything about equalization. The true ability of ANY speaker can only be measured by utilizing a parametric EQ with pink noise generator and mic input. My D9's once EQ'd sounded very detailed, uncolored, no shrill, and bass was very tight, and quick like sting. Everything that everybody bashes on them about, blatantly disappears like David Copperfield! Done!.......
 
I just
In answer to a previous question, I want to feel the band and watch the plaster fall. No pool parties or bars here. Soooo...maybe it's time to look at the JBL L-200. :D And as far as big and bad, that's only an ebay reference. :thmbsp: I bet there's some Klipsch speakers that could crack some plaster too.
I just refoamed my Infinity SM-152 (both woofers) I am not getting much bass from them after 5 hours of playing them from a Pioneer SX-V822K in stereo mode. I attached the new surrounds to the front of the woofer, not the rear as it was originally attached. Mids, highs are great. Not much punch from various cd's I've played. Blondie. Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon) all lack bass. I observed speaker wire polarity from speaker connections on rear of receiver to speaker connectors. Do I need to change out the cross over capacitors?
 
I just

I just refoamed my Infinity SM-152 (both woofers) I am not getting much bass from them after 5 hours of playing them from a Pioneer SX-V822K in stereo mode. I attached the new surrounds to the front of the woofer, not the rear as it was originally attached. Mids, highs are great. Not much punch from various cd's I've played. Blondie. Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon) all lack bass. I observed speaker wire polarity from speaker connections on rear of receiver to speaker connectors. Do I need to change out the cross over capacitors?
check the polarity of the woofers inside the cabinet is correct.
 
Back
Top Bottom