• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DIY High or Low Ouput Moving Coil Phono Stage

After many hours of listening to my new stage I have come to the following conclusions.
...............

On a scale of one to ten, I give it an eleven.

That is about the most glowing report of audio gear I can remember in many a year. I'm just happy for you that your ears can discern all these suttle variations.

Enjoy - - -
 
Judging from what I've heard from Jim's MC board and his Denon LOMC, I'm convinced this is without a doubt the way to go. My board was assembled today and tomorrow I'll be swapping the Bugle 18V power supply from my Bugle pre over to this board. As luck would have it, my new Ortofon Rondo Red LOMC cart came in the mail today so hopefully I'll be able to post my impressions of my MC board with my own gear sometime soon.
 
Last edited:
I've been corosponding with Richard quite a bit lately about power supplies. I may do the battery thing but he has convinced me to do a PS first. Does any one have a link to a DIY power supply sutable for a novice level builder?
 
I've been corosponding with Richard quite a bit lately about power supplies. I may do the battery thing but he has convinced me to do a PS first. Does any one have a link to a DIY power supply sutable for a novice level builder?

Yes, that's a good question. I'd like to avoid the battery power supply myself.
:lurk:

Jeff
 
Richard's boards come with his filtered power supply section minus the rectifiers and primary filter/accumulators, suggesting12VDC +/- inputs. Rod Elliott at ESP has a suitably clean power supply board at 15 volts +/-.
http://sound.westhost.com/project05b.htm
The muting drive ckt is optional and not needed for this project as-is..
 
Last edited:
Richard's boards come with his filtered power supply section minus the rectifiers and primary filter/accumulators, suggesting12VDC +/- inputs. Rod Elliott at ESP has a suitably clean power supply board at 15 volts +/-.
http://sound.westhost.com/project05b.htm
The muting drive ckt is optional and not needed for this project as-is..

Richards power supply section is called a power conditioner and looks very good, as Steve said it's part of his boards less the transformer and rectifiers.

Here is one of Richards boards again (you need two of these per phono stage) with the power supply section in the red box. For all those that want to learn more about the PSU or get some of his boards go here, I have no affiliation with Richard at all, I just bought two of his boards a while back:

http://phonoclone.com/diy-guide.html

PC3PCB.jpg


I've been corresponding with Richard quite a bit lately about power supplies. I may do the battery thing but he has convinced me to do a PS first. Does any one have a link to a DIY power supply suitable for a novice level builder?

Since trying battery power on other phono stages with a noticeable improvement in sound quality and lack of hum and noise I am convinced batteries are the way to go, but that's just me. I can crank up the volume on mine and not hear a thing coming from the speakers, even my low noise modded 640P's are noisy compared to this thing. For ten dollars I can power mine for well over a year with batteries so it's even cost effective.

It will be interesting though to hear Big Bills impressions using the Bugle PSU.
 
Last edited:
batteries so it's even cost effective.

It will be interesting though to hear Big Bills impressions using the Bugle PSU.

I given it a second thought and I've decided to give this MC pre a few weeks on battery power so that I might give it an "equal playing field" review, if you will. I'm "borrowing" the original CNC's box with lantern battery compliment for this evaluation and will return the CNC board to its rightful home after I've completed a custom enclosure for the MC board.

attachment.php
 
I've just finished transplanting the MC in to the CNC box. It will be later tonight before I'll be able to mount the cart and and give my first impressions with my gear.




attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5883.jpg
    IMG_5883.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 370
I've just finished transplanting the MC in to the CNC box. It will be later tonight before I'll be able to mount the cart and and give my first impressions with my gear.

What output caps did you go with?

Look out for that storm approaching, keep safe.
 
Last edited:
These Panasonic 5% from Mouser. As for the storm, we aren't supposed to be affected this far inland but they've been wrong before. :para:

Good to hear that you are safe.

Those Polyesters may be too revealing, if they are try these 667-ECW-F2105JA 1UF's and these 667-ECW-F2104JAQ 0.1uf in parallel as a bypass, that's what I am using now, both revealing and smooth.
 
Good to hear that you are safe.

Those Polyesters may be too revealing, if they are try these 667-ECW-F2105JA 1UF's and these 667-ECW-F2104JAQ 0.1uf in parallel as a bypass, that's what I am using now, both revealing and smooth.

Thanks Phillip, Jim clued me in on that one so I installed some on the back of the board.:yes:
 
Last edited:
Amazing!

Well I came home this afternoon, set up the new cart, attached the new pre and then went to fire up the old tube amp only to see my rectifier tube go up in a flash!:tears: I’m having to listen to the new cart and new pre through the Sansui AU-517 I recently acquired and recapped. Please don’t misunderstand, it sounds AMAZING but this is not my reference amp/passive-pre and therefore I’ll have to await the arrival of a new rectifier before I’ll be able to give an accurate review. I’ll say this though, I’m hearing many new and exciting things from my reference vinyl and I honestly doubt I’ll use a step-up transformer in my rig ever again.:no:
 
Back
Top Bottom