• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Diy TT project

you sound like a happy chamfer.

I will be going to visit my brother at his machine shop sometime this week or next. :)
 
here is the piece im going to use as a plinth

plinth.jpg


More than likely temporary, ill likely set it into a piece of mdf. Dont know if i want a large base with the arm and motor mounted on it, or seperate pods.
 
How cool is that. I am starting to design it for myself. The four lugs could be the feet with the post from to of the feet continuing up to the armboard as mentioned previously.
 
well i got the end cap made with its delrin insert, unfortunatly the camera battries died so i only got one shot off

beaing2.jpg


I taped the cap on to test the bearing out.

So far so good, i cant feel any play, the shaft is hard to remove from the vacuum formed. Im at the point where i need the platter to finish up the bearing. Ill get the material ordered for that over the next few days.
 
so being inverted, you will just use grease? The cap does not attach to the bearing housing? With your machining skills, you could make a very cool arm. What do you have in mind???
 
Yeah, id read vpi use or have recommended lithium grease in the past, i just happen to have grease on the shelf so that what i used.

The cap will attach with some bolts, but i need the platter to know the final height of the cap, once i have the platter made i can finish the bearing. I didnt want to waste money on platter material if i couldnt make a bearing.

I think ill make a unipivot arm to begin with, something along the lines of a graham or similar. I usualy dont have a clear idea in my head, things evolve as im making them.

This article was a nice read, http://www.clarisonus.com/blog/?p=72 and the tonearm looks good.
 
Last edited:
Great article. Newman and I were just talking about a unipivot that is held level, side to side, with small magnets. HEY DAVE: which one was that???? We talked about it at Ken's house.

The one in the article looks a little to machanical for me but I bet it works well and sound good.

When I was looking for carbon fiber tube to fix up my Black Widow, I came across carbon fiber tube that is tapered. I think that would work well.

P.S., will you need a gasket or O-ring on the cap???
 
the grahem phantom is a unipivot guided by magnets.

I like the industrial functional look :D
I have all kinds of ideas for arms, but no idea what ill bother to make.

Dont know on the oring, would be very easy to install, but since its at the top and im using grease i dont think so.
 
Back
Top Bottom