• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DLK MODEL 4 Speakers

  • Thread starter Thread starter dhanson64
  • Start date Start date
Ran across a very rare pair of 4's

Hi I just wanted to let you all know that I happened to run across another very very nice pair of Dlk 4's with the marble tops and they were the very very rare model 4's that have the factory Custom hand wound dual voice coils on all 12" CTS woofers. Cabinets are very clean an nice, both speakers had all the original factory drivers still in them an they all still work nice but the pods are very dirty so can't play them till there cleaned. I was very hasatent on buying a 3rd pair but these dlk 4's with the dual voice coil woofers are so rare and I didn't own a pair with those dual voice coil12's and also to the price was so low and they were in just fantastic shape an all factory original that I had to pull the triger an snag them up. The guy even through into the deal a nice pair of older dlk 3's also all factory original just had very poor foam grill's and Tweeter's seamed dead but that could also be just drity pods as well. Wife was not happy to say the least when I came home with 4 more speakers. I admit it I have an addiction to vintage audio. Guilty as charge now just let me crank them up an have an few cold beverages!!:smoke::D PS. Pics to follow after I get sum up of my limited addition dlk 2's. So much going on to little time.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that same Craigslist ad and was sorely tempted. Sanity prevailed, though... :-( Couldn't justify owning a second pair of 4's.

***DELETED BY MODERATOR***

The guy even through into the deal a nice pair of older dlk 3's also all factory original just had very poor foam grill's and Tweeter's seamed dead but that could also be just drity pots as well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that same Craigslist ad and was sorely tempted. Sanity prevailed, though... :-( Couldn't justify owning a second pair of 4's.

***DELETED BY MODERATOR*** moderator please pm me on why or what got deleted here. Did I brake the rules or something ? Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mnrocketry any updates on your pair of dlk 4's you got and were restoring last spring ? Hope there sounding great now for ya!
 
here's some pics of the Rare dlk 4's

Hi here's pics
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
Hi posting some pics of the ultra rare dlk 4 with the factory original hand wound dual voice coils on the 12" woofers an factory custom 5" midrange for bosted output to match up better with the dual coil woofers an high output tweeter. It's Not the same size as thee older 4 1/2" midranges that are in most all other 4's and it's also has hand wound voice coils an also the nice famous high ouput Phillips Tweeter's semi horn loaded lense the 0163T8's..also notice no sun fading on the cabinets with the grills off. Very rare to find clean uniformly finish with no fadding.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi here's a pic from my collection of dlk speakers.for those who don't know these are the model 1's older orginal style.
picture.php
 
***DELETED BY MODERATOR*** moderator please pm me on why or what got deleted here. Did I brake the rules or something ? Thanks

Nothing you did. The moderator deleted a sentence from my post. Now that I re-read the speaker forum guidelines, I conclude that sentence didn't properly follow this guideline:

Offers to Buy, Sell or Trade are not allowed in the open forums. Posts such as these should be done via PM, or posted in AK's Classifieds or in Barter Town. This includes mentioning any consideration of your selling, trading whatever you own or are discussing, which also includes items you have listed on audiogon, craigslist, eBay, etc.
 
Mnrocketry any updates on your pair of dlk 4's you got and were restoring last spring ? Hope there sounding great now for ya!

Just haven't gotten to the 4's yet.

I just spruced-up a pair of 1/4's, restored a pair of 1's (except the grilles were missing, so I'll have to make new ones), and I'm working on a pair of 2's right now. The 4's will be next on my speaker to-do list.
 
Hi here's a pic of the older original dlk 1/4 speakers from my dlk collection, they have the factory green basket Heppner 4 1/2" full ranges in them. And I do listen to these littles jems in my office an through a Sansui 9090.

picture.php


also have nice pair of the newer style dlk 1/4 speakers
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi anyone here of or happen to own a pair of the Very Rare Factory Limited/Special Addition dlk 1/4's ? There called the dlk 1/4 pluss ? Also a Very Very Rare speaker only in production for one year 1980 to early 1981.:music:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
hi... I bought a pair of these dlk1/4 pluss speakers bran new from shaack in the Maplewood Mall back 1980 when I was 16yrs.old. I still do have them there Very nice little pair of speaker's. They have a heavy duty 4 1/2" custom Heppner driver with over sized magnet and also what was at that time a very great sounding Peerless 1" soft dome tweeter that has a square black plate. These were the liquid cooled an very natural sounding tweeters that were used heavily by many manufacturers. They sound great. And I never seen another pair of these out there but I know someone out there besides me has to also have a apair of these Jems. Anyone else that also has them or seen them post back. I may post a pic of these for an historical record of these so people have info on them.:beerchug:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, I'm new here. I picked up a pair of DLK Model 1 speakers last summer for $20 while buying a small Sansui receiver via CL. They sound decent, but my little Sansui 220 only has ~10w per channel and one woofer is on it's way out (speaker cone can occasionally become misaligned and rub the magnet).

How efficient are the DLK 1's, and does anybody have specs for them?

I have a pair of JM Labs Symbol 1's that need a new tweeter. Also, I think I sourced a Sansui 2000x locally for a nice price, but I'll know for sure in a day or two.

Are the DLK model 1's worth the time and effort to fix up, especially given that I am seriously seeking a vintage Sansui power source? I am going to fix up the JM Labs either way at some point, but I wonder if the DLK's might be a better fit for a warm vintage Sansui receiver.
 
Hi thanks for posting! what version of the dlk 1's do you have? There were 3 different versions of model 1's that I know of.
 
There a great an Perfect fit for the Sansui especially the 8" Woffers with the Alnico magnets, very warm and sweet sounding!! What style woffers are in you pair? Can you post any pics ?
 
Hi all, I'm new here. I picked up a pair of DLK Model 1 speakers last summer for $20 while buying a small Sansui receiver via CL. They sound decent, but my little Sansui 220 only has ~10w per channel and one woofer is on it's way out (speaker cone can occasionally become misaligned and rub the magnet).

How efficient are the DLK 1's, and does anybody have specs for them?

I have a pair of JM Labs Symbol 1's that need a new tweeter. Also, I think I sourced a Sansui 2000x locally for a nice price, but I'll know for sure in a day or two.

Are the DLK model 1's worth the time and effort to fix up, especially given that I am seriously seeking a vintage Sansui power source? I am going to fix up the JM Labs either way at some point, but I wonder if the DLK's might be a better fit for a warm vintage Sansui receiver.
I wouldn't play them when there rubbing. If you have rubber surounds you most likely need to redo the rubber surrounds they can get brittle an harden over time.if you catch it before damaging voice coiland fix them your woffers won't be needing a recone/replacements. That is unless of course you have the newer style with cloth surrounds.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I read the newspaper article. It seems the builder was filling a small niche for better built home speakers. I have no idea how they sound but it seems odd he did not make mirror copies. I also build speakers in the 1970-80's but mine were not known for there good looks. I built very large high output speakers for disco clubs. They were made from 3/4" plywood with a finish applied with a paint roller:thmbsp:
 
Here is a rare one also

This is a Mircro 10 Soundmate , DLK name was unable to be used on the last models he made due to litigation .
 

Attachments

  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 68
This is a Mircro 10 Soundmate , DLK name was unable to be used on the last models he made due to litigation .

hi Wilke87 been a awhile sense I herd from ya. How's a fellow Mn doing? Nice speakers very clean ! thanks for posting a pic of the soundmates,do you have the Sub that goes with it to? Anyway pretty sure I'm about done posting on here now. Thanks for your contribution and great article on the dlk line for the younger crowd who doesn't know the history on these. Take care my friend n happy holidays!!:beerchug:
 
I saw that same Craigslist ad and was sorely tempted. Sanity prevailed, though... :-( Couldn't justify owning a second pair of 4's.

***DELETED BY MODERATOR***

I guess these were the ones in Hastings?

I tried contacting the seller but he never got back to me.

Just as well, wasn't in the budget, but the price wasn't too far out of reach. There's always next time..
 
I guess these were the ones in Hastings?

I tried contacting the seller but he never got back to me.

Just as well, wasn't in the budget, but the price wasn't too far out of reach. There's always next time..
Hi..Hull rust you will for sure find sum 4's just keep your eyes on the lookout because There has been a few very nice pair's of 4's that came up for sale so far as this year heck there's been at least 7 pair's that I saw up 4 sale maybe even more then that cause I'm not really looking for them I'm sure some have sold I missed seeing up for sale. Can't wait to here back from ya when you acquire and will love seeing pics of them when you get them. Get back to us on updates on getting them.:yes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom